User Tag List

Page 147 of 350 FirstFirst ... 137138139140141142143144145146147148149150151152153154155156157 ... LastLast
Results 2,921 to 2,940 of 7000

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

I added a Kuat Vagabond X to the roof and some Hella driving lights. It gives it a rally look... which I like. And there is a shop in town that is owned by a dude who drives a 65 Landrover around town. He has been working on VWs and Porches for 40 years. He is semi retired and only works on what he wants to work on. Which includes my bug. He is giving the engine a tune up tomorrow. "How much?" "Don't worry about, it'll be less than $100."
    P8140320 by Joe, on Flickr

P8140346 by Joe, on Flickr

P8140364 by Joe, on Flickr

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    Previously owned by a nice 73 year old lady that selected every doodad, protectant and extended warranty (all transferable) available and changed the oil religiously every 2,500-3,000 miles up to its current 38k. Total cream-puff.

Wow, I thought this was only a line in the 'car salesman joke book'. Something about little old lady and church on Sunday.
    Good snag.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks pretty boss, Joe.
    Rally 911's are my holy grail- this is a much more sensible version of that.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    glad you got that one. the 2018 (below) does not look as nice. they mucked it up by adding more lines to the car
    Honestly as someone who worked extensively on the development of both, the 2018 platform is light years more advanced than our 2013, but it's my wife's and she didn't want a "new" car. We at least got a decent example of the old one, but I know the warts all too well. I'll spend many nights working on it in the garage after she goes to sleep to attenuate them the best I can. Have NVH tape, will travel.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Looks pretty boss, Joe.
    Rally 911's are my holy grail- this is a much more sensible version of that.
    Whatever you do, don't google the Leh Keen Safari Project. Gawd do I want one of those.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    I added a Kuat Vagabond X to the roof and some Hella driving lights. It gives it a rally look... which I like. And there is a shop in town that is owned by a dude who drives a 65 Landrover around town. He has been working on VWs and Porches for 40 years. He is semi retired and only works on what he wants to work on. Which includes my bug. He is giving the engine a tune up tomorrow. "How much?" "Don't worry about, it'll be less than $100."
    P8140320 by Joe, on Flickr

P8140346 by Joe, on Flickr

P8140364 by Joe, on Flickr

-Joe
    Totally loving this !

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly as someone who worked extensively on the development of both, the 2018 platform is light years more advanced than our 2013, but it's my wife's and she didn't want a "new" car. We at least got a decent example of the old one, but I know the warts all too well. I'll spend many nights working on it in the garage after she goes to sleep to attenuate them the best I can. Have NVH tape, will travel.
    hope I did not insult you.

As an owner of a 2009 Outback, a 2000 Outback (traded-in for the 09), helped my mother get her 2001 Forester and then a 2017 Impreza, and now about to help my mother-in-law get a 2018 Outback, I am Subaru to the core.

While the 2018 Crostek might technically be better, I was speaking to the design which I think is busier and not as clean as the earlier version (which of course is always a personal opinion)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hope I did not insult you.

As an owner of a 2009 Outback, a 2000 Outback (traded-in for the 09), helped my mother get her 2001 Forester and then a 2017 Impreza, and now about to help my mother-in-law get a 2018 Outback, I am Subaru to the core.

While the 2018 Crostek might technically be better, I was speaking to the design which I think is busier and not as clean as the earlier version (which of course is always a personal opinion)
    No worries - I understood your point. Driving the new 2017 Impreza (and 2018 Crosstrek) back to back with a previous gen version is pretty eye opening.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No worries - I understood your point. Driving the new 2017 Impreza (and 2018 Crosstrek) back to back with a previous gen version is pretty eye opening.
    Do tell.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My XJ Cherokee's rear unibody rust problem got dramatically worse this spring, to the point where it was unsafe to drive and would be a very involved fix that still might not pass Massachusetts inspection. Sad after driving it for 10 years and 180,000 miles, but I scrapped it and went Subaru:

2011 Forester, 5-speed manual transmission, 93K miles.

I couldn't be happier. It's not what you'd call fast, but the things I care about for where I live, like ground clearance, turning circle, comfort over bad dirt roads, and visibility are all top-notch. I had to look pretty hard to get one with a 5-speed but it's worth it for me.

My girlfriend has a bad back and the ride and the seats really work for her. And it's big enough that my 6'6" kid can sit in the back reasonably comfortably. Overall super practical.

Sunroof and Bluetooth are nice too.

I can't wait for winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An even more "done" version of the 911 Safari theme:

https://luftgekuhlt.com/luftauto/

luftauto.jpg

Built by a bunch of guys who really know their $hit (although Leh Keen himself is no slouch) - Pat Long, Joey Seely, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So interesting you mentioned your girlfriend's bad back.

In 2001, I spent several weeks helping my mother (who had 6 kids and 2 slipped disc back surgeries) find a comfortable car. After driving more than 20 cars, SUVs, and crossovers the 2001 Forrester was the most comfortable to her because it gave her the most back support and the straightest up/down line to support her spine.

A few months ago when I helped her look at cars again, I only agreed to 10 test drives and the winning seat this time was the 2017 Impreza.

Maybe Subaru should start working with surgeons and physical therapists to market their cars/SUVs/wagons to people with bad backs.

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    My XJ Cherokee's rear unibody rust problem got dramatically worse this spring, to the point where it was unsafe to drive and would be a very involved fix that still might not pass Massachusetts inspection. Sad after driving it for 10 years and 180,000 miles, but I scrapped it and went Subaru:

2011 Forester, 5-speed manual transmission, 93K miles.

I couldn't be happier. It's not what you'd call fast, but the things I care about for where I live, like ground clearance, turning circle, comfort over bad dirt roads, and visibility are all top-notch. I had to look pretty hard to get one with a 5-speed but it's worth it for me.

My girlfriend has a bad back and the ride and the seats really work for her. And it's big enough that my 6'6" kid can sit in the back reasonably comfortably. Overall super practical.

Sunroof and Bluetooth are nice too.

I can't wait for winter.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So interesting you mentioned your girlfriend's bad back.

In 2001, I spent several weeks helping my mother (who had 6 kids and 2 slipped disc back surgeries) find a comfortable car. After driving more than 20 cars, SUVs, and crossovers the 2001 Forrester was the most comfortable to her because it gave her the most back support and the straightest up/down line to support her spine.

A few months ago when I helped her look at cars again, I only agreed to 10 test drives and the winning seat this time was the 2017 Impreza.

Maybe Subaru should start working with surgeons and physical therapists to market their cars/SUVs/wagons to people with bad backs.
    She noticed a big difference between the Forester and the previous-generation (2007) Outback, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    She noticed a big difference between the Forester and the previous-generation (2007) Outback, too.
    Having owned 2000 and 2009 Outbacks and also driven my mother's 2001 Forester and 2017 Impreza, I can tell the difference between the seats. Her Subaru's did not feel uncomfortable to me but you definitely feel how the seats in those cars ensure you are sitting upright with good posture (which would probably be good for all of us anyway).

Out of the original 20 cars we tested in 2001, on a goof, I had my mother test drive the Chrsyler PT Cruiser towards the end of the process. She said the seats were the second most comfortable after the Forester. I explained that she was not going to buy a deathtrap of a car that was trying to be retro (that car had some of the worst crash test ratings at the time). Also, she was going to look like an old fool rather than a hip old granny in the Chrysler so she bought the Forester the next day.

Forgot to add, make sure the 90k service was done and be ready for 120k when the timing chain needs to be replaced on that Forester; those are the important ones - the 30k intervals.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An even more "done" version of the 911 Safari theme:

https://luftgekuhlt.com/luftauto/

luftauto.jpg

Built by a bunch of guys who really know their $hit (although Leh Keen himself is no slouch) - Pat Long, Joey Seely, etc.
    Drool.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joe...for some reason I see racing stripes and numbers in your lovebug's future...perhaps a sawzall and some canvas too.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post

Joe...for some reason I see racing stripes and numbers in your lovebug's future...perhaps a sawzall and some canvas too.
    The local VW repair guru would shun me if I make any permanent non original changes. I know nothing about motors, so I need him until I learn more auto wrenching skills. Seriously, I was talking to him about upgrading to discs in the front and he was not feeling me.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Took a 2018 Audi Q7 with all the bells and whistles for a brief test drive this week.
    Curious to see how good it is for transporting bicycles upright. Definitely a nice vehicle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Forgot to add, make sure the 90k service was done and be ready for 120k when the timing chain needs to be replaced on that Forester; those are the important ones - the 30k intervals.
    I haven't seen an interval for timing chain replacement. The older motors with timing belts had a 105k replacement interval but I can't find anything for timing chain replacement on the FB DOHC motor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I had a mid-year car or 964 with a roof basket I could die a happy man.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk