Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Camp Cooking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Camp Cooking

Veeerrrrry nice. Old school, made better than it needs to be "nice".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a coleman 425, and that thing will probably outlast me. I can't really imaging camping and cooking with anything other else, tbh. they're awesome. And as Too Tall mentioned, coleman's are readily available on the used market. I bought mine new, but if I had to do it over, that's the way I'd go. Heck, just the other week I picked up a vintage white gas coleman lantern to go with the stove for $35.

...and I know the OP is a year on now and probably has stuff sorted, but if I had one bit of advice for camp cooking, it's to bring a good cutting board and proper chef's knife. I mean, ideally a well-patina'd carbon steel sabatier, but anything with a bit of size is good. A chinese cleaver looks pretty bad ass in the great outdoors as well (and the height of the blade can help if you're prepping while hunched over a picnic table!). Prepping dinner for the family with a swiss army knife however, is super annoying.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by randonneur View Post
    I have a coleman 425, and that thing will probably outlast me. I can't really imaging camping and cooking with anything other else, tbh. they're awesome. And as Too Tall mentioned, coleman's are readily available on the used market. I bought mine new, but if I had to do it over, that's the way I'd go. Heck, just the other week I picked up a vintage white gas coleman lantern to go with the stove for $35.

...and I know the OP is a year on now and probably has stuff sorted, but if I had one bit of advice for camp cooking, it's to bring a good cutting board and proper chef's knife. I mean, ideally a well-patina'd carbon steel sabatier, but anything with a bit of size is good. A chinese cleaver looks pretty bad ass in the great outdoors as well (and the height of the blade can help if you're prepping while hunched over a picnic table!). Prepping dinner for the family with a swiss army knife however, is super annoying.
    Still reading of course though, and yes. Happened to learn about the cutting board 2 weeks ago. We were super underprepared and grabbed the tent and bags before heading out for a wedding. ended up cooking some kebabs over an open fire with some form of metal grill propped up on rocks, after riding over Greylock that day, corn as well. Still was great, didn't have tongs either, so the unnecessary finger hairs are now gone.

This weekend we'll take the coleman (also 425) and some real utensils up to vermont. We usually have an array of Opinels with us, the carbon one being the nicest.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have one of these Primus stoves and I like the burner modulation and ease of use. Uses propane though.

https://primus.us/products/firehole-104

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Find a old Coleman white gas two burner camp stove. They are fantastic. All repair parts are still available.
    I have one passed down from my family and a second some fool threw out!!!!
    Here is an example:. Coleman 3 Burner Camp Stove | eBay
    I would buy this in a heartbeat :. Coleman Camping Stove Vintage 2 Burner 413G Gas Camp Fuel Green 12 79 1979 | eBay
    That two burner baby is exactly the same as ours. We aren't exactly sure but we figure it's at least 50 years old. Probably older.

We figure every one in a while that we should maybe get a new one, but then ... Why?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's only fine dining for this camper.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12