User Tag List

Page 63 of 150 FirstFirst ... 535455565758596061626364656667686970717273 ... LastLast
Results 1,241 to 1,260 of 2994

Thread: Virus thread, the political one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Virus thread, the political one.

Why is his hair silver suddenly? Has anyone else noticed?
    Chikashi Miyamoto

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Why is his hair silver suddenly? Has anyone else noticed?

This was addressed a while back.... wait till the bronzer goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    There's just so much going on in that "protest" that it makes my head hurt. Kids roaming with signs during a pandemic, people claiming Whitmer is a Nazi marching alongside actual Nazis, people yelling in support of the 2nd amendment because of a shelter in place order, a guy in an Anonymous/Guy Fawkes/Disobey mask waving a Trump flag, Confederate flags in Union Michigan. Just a remarkable display of ignorance.
    To paraphrase Tom Petty, "rebels without a clue." Or as stated in another forum post, "This is America! My ignorance is just as important as your expertise!" Americans equate the concepts of "rights" and "equality" to the ability to say and protest for anything they like. Without any regard for the logic and science that contradicts their beliefs. A lot of good things about this country, but turning our collective backs on logic and science is not one of them. We teach common core math, but not critical thinking...

Greg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chik View Post
    Wasn't there a finding that determined that most infections in the US are of European strains?
    In the NY and New England area.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyChix View Post
    Not a proud day for Michiganders. Lack of comprehension. Garden centers being closed, no motorized boats and some other issue on our stay at home order triggered this. Unhappy about the order but it looked more like an angry Trump rally. Open carry of long firearms. Obstructed access to the primary hospital (and delayed ambulances). Friend delivers oxygen and was held up making his deliveries.get into the hospital

Whitmer stay home order protest turns into Trump celebration with Confederate flags and guns ⋆ Michigan Advance
    Radio listeners. Seriously.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mr. President, why did you have your name added to these coronavirus relief checks?

Donald Trump:
    "Well, I don’t know too much about it, but I understand my name is there. I don’t know where they’re going, how they’re going. I do understand it’s not delaying anything, and I’m satisfied with that. I don’t imagine it’s a big deal. I’m sure people will be very happy to get a big, fat, beautiful check and my name is on it."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sbti View Post
    Garden centers? Really? Here they are considered essential as are hardware stores. Grow your food. Take care of your house, etc.

I'm pretty sure I saw a red hatter wearing an N-95 mask at the protests. Irony.
    As @sk_tle noted, you can order seeds, home repair items. Not patio furniture and forced bulbs. We've been having typical Michigan weather. It’s been below freezing and snow flurries. You never put plants out before Memorial Day if you don’t want to plant them twice. That was true in the mid 70’s and even with changes in weather applies in 2020.

These are people complaining about what they believe is government overreach. There may be disagreements about what is and isn’t permitted right now. But the display yesterday illuminates why our Governor extended and expanded the restrictions. Michigan isn’t a state that’s 30th on the “list”, we seem to keep a firm grasp on one of the podium spots ☹️

Had the North American Auto Show occurred in its traditional time slot (date change was prior to pandemic) we would likely have even more cases.

What was promoted as a Whitmer protest looked like a mashup of all causes and a Trump rally.

Typed from phone so may be messy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As @sk_tle noted, you can order seeds, home repair items. Not patio furniture and forced bulbs. We've been having typical Michigan weather. It’s been below freezing and snow flurries. You never put plants out before Memorial Day if you don’t want to plant them twice. That was true in the mid 70’s and even with changes in weather applies in 2020.

These are people complaining about what they believe is government overreach. There may be disagreements about what is and isn’t permitted right now. But the display yesterday illuminates why our Governor extended and expanded the restrictions. Michigan isn’t a state that’s 30th on the “list”, we seem to keep a firm grasp on one of the podium spots ☹️

Had the North American Auto Show occurred in its traditional time slot (date change was prior to pandemic) we would likely have even more cases.

What was promoted as a Whitmer protest looked like a mashup of all causes and a Trump rally.

Typed from phone so may be messy.
    Certainly, most, if not all of these people will be giving back their stimulus checks to prove their dislike of big government, I am sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, I agree.... the more closed the better. I guess I meant more to point out differences in the way states do this. Here I think it was just last week that the garden centers were opened. Landscapers were also approved to work. Golf courses are still closed but workers are now allowed to do maintenance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    The President's claim to his good job is he banned the Chinese on Feb 3. He said he made a good decision. The WHO disagreed with him at the time and said travel bans don't work.
    We now have the most COVID19 cases globally. I think the ban didn't work.
    430,000 People Have Traveled From China to U.S. Since Coronavirus Surfaced - The New York Times

This travel ban did not work. Screening at airports was perfunctory.
    Last edited by Matthew Strongin; 04-16-2020 at 09:22 AM. Reason: fixed number in link name
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ides1056 View Post
    [url=https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/04/us/coronavirus-china-travel-restrictions.html]430,000 People Have Traveled From China to U.S. Since Coronavirus Surfaced - The New York Times[/url

This travel ban did not work. Screening at airports was perfunctory.
    Yeah I saw that article. Kind of eye-opening. I think in fact then, it was not a travel ban but a travel restriction.
    Last edited by j44ke; 04-16-2020 at 09:03 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HorsCat View Post
    Plus, she looks like a witch to boot. It is hard for me to reconcile her - or at least the public face she presents - with her husband. I do not understand how they are still married to each other. (Sorry to turn the salon into a soap; I'll drop and take twenty preemptively.)
    just shows these kinds of people dont marry for love, its for sealing power. psyhos
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know 100% of everyone here on the forum is gorgeous and married only for reasons on the side of goodness and light

but

let's refrain from criticizing personal appearances and matrimonial motivations.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    There's just so much going on in that "protest" that it makes my head hurt. Kids roaming with signs during a pandemic, people claiming Whitmer is a Nazi marching alongside actual Nazis, people yelling in support of the 2nd amendment because of a shelter in place order, a guy in an Anonymous/Guy Fawkes/Disobey mask waving a Trump flag, Confederate flags in Union Michigan. Just a remarkable display of ignorance.
    It was all those protester, each safely cossetted in their private automobile, that made me smack my head.

Quote Originally Posted by gregl View Post
    To paraphrase Tom Petty, "rebels without a clue."...

Greg
    It's an actual Replacements quote, by the way.

You're welcome, and now back to our regular programming.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think these protests only appear to be spontaneous. The fears & anxieties of the participants are undeniably real - no jobs, no safety net, just $1200 and the banks are taking that because everyone is already bouncing checks - but the signs, the accoutrements, the talking points are all so programmatic, there has to be a central point of origin.

Radio is part of it.

I am sure someone will look at social media bots and find some correlation.

The anxiety level makes these people way too ripe for the picking NOT to go ahead and pick them.

Who benefits? Anyone who gains from discord and instability. Make a list.

But I will also say that there are ways to relax certain aspects of the regulations so that the appearance is less draconian without reducing the efficacy of distancing.

For example, reduce occupancy ratings for stores like Home Depot. Requiring masks.

Municipalities are going to need to listen to what people are saying and figure out how to subtract the grounds for objections without decreasing safety - otherwise the public resistance is going to gain its own momentum and become unmanageable. And people will still be getting infected at a higher rate than with absolute obedience of stricter regulations.
    Last edited by j44ke; 04-16-2020 at 11:05 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

These are people complaining about what they believe is government overreach. There may be disagreements about what is and isn’t permitted right now. But the display yesterday illuminates why our Governor extended and expanded the restrictions. Michigan isn’t a state that’s 30th on the “list”, we seem to keep a firm grasp on one of the podium spots ☹️ Had the North American Auto Show occurred in its traditional time slot (date change was prior to pandemic) we would likely have even more cases. What was promoted as a Whitmer protest looked like a mashup of all causes and a Trump rally.
    Yesterday in southwest Michigan I looked out the window to see the ground covered in snow. It didn't last even though it stayed cold all day because the sun came out and hits it at less of an angle. My wife commented after seeing the protest in the news that no intelligent Michigander puts plants out before Memorial Day. And we live in the very south only a few miles from the Indiana border.

When I saw the pictures of the protest, I could see confederate flags and guns and thought how ironic it is that these people that value individual freedom over what is best for citizens as a whole worship a dictator-wana-be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My brother in Ann Arbor shared this post:

mi_rn.jpg

So angry, eloquent and full-hearted.

Shout out to all the front line workers, especially our medical workers.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    My brother in Ann Arbor shared this post:

mi_rn.jpg

So angry, eloquent and full-hearted.

Shout out to all the front line workers, especially our medical workers.
    yup, as a person married to a woman who may be going to help in NY, shout out as loud as i can!

i love this woman's take, its now necessary to put aside simple polite speech, it doesnt get through to who needs to hear the message most. we need this aggression from those who are doing
    Matt Zilliox

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did this article get posted here before? If not, I don't think the subject can be discounted as a source of some of the rhethoric associated with recent protests. It fits the overall tactic of destabilization.

Putin’s Long War Against American Science - The New York Times
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fattic View Post
    When I saw the pictures of the protest, I could see confederate flags and guns and thought how ironic it is that these people that value individual freedom over what is best for citizens as a whole worship a dictator-wana-be.
    Well put. This is the big mystery for me as well. It's like digging your own grave but not knowing it at the time.
    La Cheeserie!