User Tag List

Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Simple Bread

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Simple Bread

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Do 10 people want to split a 50 lbs sack of Rye and same whole wheat? Kidding / Not. No local sources for either. I can get massive amts. online. I think that every dewd in locked down America suddenly discovered baking ;)
    No rye or whole wheat on the shelves around here, either. Plenty of all purpose, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Do 10 people want to split a 50 lbs sack of Rye and same whole wheat? Kidding / Not. No local sources for either. I can get massive amts. online. I think that every dewd in locked down America suddenly discovered baking ;)
    Do you have a Sprouts in your area? All of my local ones have 1lb bags fill your own area, or whatever it is called, and no one goes over there for supplies. I picked up 10lbs of flour and beans the other day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott G. View Post
    It's Bread Week and Paul and Mary look concerned.
    Attachment 115367
    Bwaaaaaaaaa hahahahahah. Ouch

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This morning's basic white.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well...that's perfect. Nice bread.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4C98E78B-D6CB-4599-B2E7-185284372336.jpg

My latest attempt.

My progression over the last month and a half.

My first was NYT no knead. I was not happy with the results.
    2nd try was 1/2 recipe of Kens. Result was fair.
    3rd attempt was full recipe and two loaves. Turned out pretty good.
    4th is this one. 80% of recipe and one large loaf.

This ended up being 10” across and 5 1/2 “ tall. My better half and the neighbors said best o e yet.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

13F4393E-783A-4E77-8CA7-2EE5DD63C6EE.jpgF4D0F057-FB36-4D44-9F88-AAF6A6CFCF21.jpg

Meant to add these.
    Crust and crumb.
    The bakers reward with some marinated cukes.

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    13F4393E-783A-4E77-8CA7-2EE5DD63C6EE.jpgF4D0F057-FB36-4D44-9F88-AAF6A6CFCF21.jpg

Meant to add these.
    Crust and crumb.
    The bakers reward with some marinated cukes.

Mike
    Great looking loaf Mike!
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1,000-year-old mill starts up again to keep homes in the U.K. supplied with flour | Washington Post

"Flour has been in high demand and short supply during the coronavirus pandemic. Imogen Bittner and Pete Loosmore knew they were in a unique position to help home bakers in southwest England by firing up a mill site that is more than 1,000 years old.

So the two millers, who help run the Sturminster Newton Mill and the adjacent museum, decided in early April that it was time to dust off their aprons and go back to the grind.

They cranked up the ancient machinery at the mill, which has been updated through the years but has been powered by a water turbine since 1904. In recent years, it has been used exclusively as a museum that churns out small ornamental bags of flour for visitors in the small town of Sturminster Newton in Dorset county.

“When covid-19 struck, all of the local shops ran out of flour very quickly,” said Loosmore, 79, a retired art teacher who has worked at the mill for 25 years. “We had a stock of good-quality milling wheat and the means and skills to grind it into flour, so we thought we could help.”"

We should get Doug to send us some!

Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Todays episode of guy learns to bake bread picks up from where we left it last thursday. Since this thursday looked just as busy, I ran my experiment on the quiet day of the week. Last several times, I have seen a really long time getting the initial rise up to 3x. While this has made for lots of wonderful complex flavor, it has been almost too much time to fit into most days. The brain trust reached the conclusion that the next thing to try would be more yeast. So today's amounts are as follows:
    750g whole wheat, 250g ap white, 800g water (95degrees), 22g sea salt, 1tsp (up from 3/4 last time) instant yeast.
    This seems to have been an over correction as it rose to 3x at 4.5 hours (instead of the 5 specified in the recipe and the 7 it took for me the first time). Then I divided and proofed the loaves and they again zoomed to over proofed in 45 minutes (not 1 1/4 hours...). The oven was not yet ready so I popped the proving baskets in the fridge to put the brakes on.
    Temp 450, 30 minutes covered 13 minutes un-covered.

Definitely denser crumb, less rise, crust less crispy, a bit less complex flavor, but still quite tasty. Next time we pull the yeast amount back and see if we can hit a happy medium... Or maybe I'll try one of the overnight or preferment recipes...
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The good news, Guy, is that all of this is great to eat right? I'm also a newb and have experienced similar. Keep making tasty mistakes. I think every kitchen is a little different so you learn your environment.

This is a 90% 00 flour and 10% course wheat bran. The dough was made about 11 hrs. ago and total batch consisted of 900g flour/100g bran/22g salt/.5 tsp IDY (yeast). Looking really good thus far. Time for a few folds, wait until I see some action in 1.5 to 2 hrs. and bake it off. Last time I baked a giant loaf I froze half which works just fine.

FWIIW I'm scheming to bake bread in the dutch oven over a campfire. I believe this will work fine. Last year I baked a gorgeous pecan pie in the Dutch Oven by setting the pie off the bottom with tin foil balls. I placed the Dutch Oven about 6 inches away from a modest campfire and voila'. Internal temps of the Dutch Oven were about 425F...that will work yeah? *Because when society collapses I can make alcohol and bread.

br1.jpg
    Last edited by Too Tall; 05-07-2020 at 07:32 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guido, when I was growing up my family visited Pierce Mill for stone ground corn meal and flour. Located in Rock Creek National Park. Back than the Mill was in constant operation. Peirce Mill – Rock Creek Park Washington, DC
    Just had to relate, these are such necessary things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    Todays episode of guy learns to bake bread picks up from where we left it last thursday. Since this thursday looked just as busy, I ran my experiment on the quiet day of the week. Last several times, I have seen a really long time getting the initial rise up to 3x. While this has made for lots of wonderful complex flavor, it has been almost too much time to fit into most days. The brain trust reached the conclusion that the next thing to try would be more yeast. So today's amounts are as follows:
    750g whole wheat, 250g ap white, 800g water (95degrees), 22g sea salt, 1tsp (up from 3/4 last time) instant yeast.
    This seems to have been an over correction as it rose to 3x at 4.5 hours (instead of the 5 specified in the recipe and the 7 it took for me the first time). Then I divided and proofed the loaves and they again zoomed to over proofed in 45 minutes (not 1 1/4 hours...). The oven was not yet ready so I popped the proving baskets in the fridge to put the brakes on.
    Temp 450, 30 minutes covered 13 minutes un-covered.

Definitely denser crumb, less rise, crust less crispy, a bit less complex flavor, but still quite tasty. Next time we pull the yeast amount back and see if we can hit a happy medium... Or maybe I'll try one of the overnight or preferment recipes...
    Those look amazing. Part of the fun (besides taking up a day) is seeing what little changes will do to the outcome. My regret is that I haven’t been taking note. This will be corrected as I venture into rye, sourdough...

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bread from the batch shown in post 331. 90% 00 flour and 10% rough cut wheat bran % 64% hydration. This is a 1000g total weight.
    I'm really happy with this however the wheat bran barely shows it's stuff. Next run I'll double that.

bread1.jpg

bread2.jpg
    Last edited by Too Tall; 05-07-2020 at 02:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Josh,
    How do you decide on hydration? Is it start at “x” and keep adding until your satisfied? Or is this where record keeping helps to find what works if this then this?

Mike
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mnoble485 View Post
    Josh,
    How do you decide on hydration? Is it start at “x” and keep adding until your satisfied? Or is this where record keeping helps to find what works if this then this?

Mike
    I'm messing around with various hydration and keeping the folding about the same to see where my happy place is.
    The folding bit really was a eye opener. If you are gentle and persistent the gluten development will be just right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Plague baking tips from the King...

How to bake bread using less yeast | King Arthur Flour
    Last edited by rwsaunders; 05-08-2020 at 05:27 PM.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

8F8EAE0A-91AE-4B14-8DA5-A9CA172C1348.jpg[ATTACH=CONFIG]115460[/ATTACH

Wife: Honey, you know you’re out of bread.
    Me: yeah I know, maybe tomorrow.
    Wife: I thought we would visit the grandkids tomorrow and you know how much they like “PaPa’s” bread.
    Me: Help me get the stuff out.

I’m pretty happy with the results but still have a few “pockets” of dense crumb and would like more air. Any suggestions?

RW, thanks for the yeast.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Mike Noble

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since yeast or baking powder -not that flour is in good supply either!- has become very hard to find in London, had to make without.
    The yeast-free Soda bread is an interesting type of bread, and is terrific when you're short in time: no kneading, just mix as little as possible, no raising time but toss it in the oven right away.

This is a version with no buttermilk, but using soy milk and vinegar. It works wonders with the soda bicarbonate.
    And even better with one spoon of olive oil, a spoon of turmeric and some seeds.
    If you want this super-easy recipe, just ask

Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"