User Tag List

Page 21 of 68 FirstFirst ... 111213141516171819202122232425262728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: NFS Chainlube & Race Grease: The wait is over

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default re: NFS Chainlube & Race Grease: The wait is over

You are very welcome. Hearing these reports from folks who are knocking out the miles makes my day. A silly bicycle chain should not be something you have to think about hear about or have to muck with. That's my story I'm sticking to it!

Jimbo, you are killing me with that 1/2 bottle of NFS. That was the very very very first run of the stuff and I didn't even have labels to fit the bottles. We need to get you a proper bottle and label.
    Quote Originally Posted by sonny View Post
    tt,

got probably 3.5k mi on this in all conditions on all bikes. new chains and old.
    stuff works well. i can't think of what more i'd ask for. stays on the chain and really lets the chain self-clean.

just wipe your chain and jockey wheels a lot and you'll be amazed

p.s.: still workin hard on this first bottle

thanks-

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    It has completely changed my anal-ness with chain maintenance, going from daily cleaning and lubing to not even keeping track of when a chain was lubed. Just add a couple drops from time to time.
    This is pretty much my experience. I've gone from running my chain through a chain cleaner and fully degreased 2-3 times a week to not having touched the chain cleaner since I've had the lube. Every bike in the house is on it now and I've even rebuilt my track hubs using it instead of grease.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I drove our daughter back to school after the holiday break and I typically bring my tool kit, pump and lube with me on the trip...let's just say that I worry. Count this bike as perhaps the first at Oberlin College to be under the spell of NFS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Treated the Peg to a round before a 40 mile ride today and forgot I even had a chain it was so quiet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some more media love in Australia. They buggered up the bottle size though.

20131205_165124.jpg20131205_165109.jpg

"Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

"Make something with your hands. Not with your money." - Dario

Sean Doyle

www.devlincc.com

https://www.instagram.com/devlincustomcycles/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139142779@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=devlin;561478]Some more media love in Australia. They buggered up the bottle size though.
    Devlin sir you are the best.

F.Y.I. All orders ship today 12/5/13. Look for a few random NFSlovin' sample bottles in your packages ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disappointed they didn't mention hitting up the LBS to stock the lube.

"Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

"Make something with your hands. Not with your money." - Dario

Sean Doyle

www.devlincc.com

https://www.instagram.com/devlincustomcycles/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139142779@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excited to be getting our first shipment to the Velocolour shop. Come by, say hello and buy some lube yo.

Been using it on all of our bikes since Ballers. 1 bottle seems to be a lifetime supply.

Noah

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Christmas shopping done for my two buddies. At least now they will stop using mine.

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone in or near the Lehigh Valley in eastern Pennsylvania, your source is South Mountain Cycles in Emmaus. Ask for Heather or Mark.
    Tom Kellogg
    Rides bikes, used to make 'em too.
    Spectrum-Cycles.com
    Butted Ti Road, Reynolds UL, Di2, QuarQ, Conour lite, SP Zero
    Steel Cross, X-7, Crank Bros, Concour Lite, Nemesis, Grifo
    Steel Piste, D-A Piste, PD-7400, Concour lite, Zipp 404
    http://kapelmuurindependent.be

Shortest TFC Member (5'6 3/4") & shrinking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty stoked here Noah. It literally gives me goosebumps when clients whom I respect and think of as leaders in their field want my products on their shelves. Dang. Thank you.

I'm going soft ;)

Between now and XMAS the first 30 people to order using coupon code " nixfivebucks " receive 1/2 price shipping. *The discount is applied to the total order. Order Here

Quote Originally Posted by velocolour View Post
    Excited to be getting our first shipment to the Velocolour shop. Come by, say hello and buy some lube yo.

Been using it on all of our bikes since Ballers. 1 bottle seems to be a lifetime supply.

Noah

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SPAIN and Italy NFS orders are outta here :) Thank you, enjoy and Happy Holidays.

HEY! The first 30 people who used our $5 off coupon positively crushed it and we added another 50 to the offer. Use code " nixfivebucks " for -$5 off any order.

When is it time to "refresh" NFS on your chain? Everybody will have their own way to gauge this and mine is to listen to the chain talking to me. NixFrixShun is, in my experience, the quietest and cleanest running chainlube available. When I hear the chain making a churning sound, sort of like static between FM stations if the speaker was covered by a overweight cat YOU KNOW what I mean ;) At that point, I'll give the chain an aggressive wipe than apply 5 or 6 drops and run it in than wipe sideplates again. If I went "TOO FAR" and the chain has a squeak or I've been a real idiot and left the bike wet overnight...hey it happens...I'll treat the chain as if it were bone dry. When treating a bone dry chain that has been cleaned in solvent or just plain dry than use 10 to 12 drops and run it in and wipe it down until the chain is silent. That's all there is to it!!!

Backstory regarding how NFS Beta was tested...
    We asked about 30 people to ride and report back their mileage and experience. When we realized that the chainlube was lasting at least 250 miles in dry and wet conditions I was ready to go to market. My personal experience with the product was that it was lasting 300 miles even during several days of wet riding so THAT coupled with field reports gave me confidence we had a winner. Now for the "rest of the story" as Paul Harvey would say.

It has been around a year that we've been selling NFS and I'm hearing consistent reports from riders that they are getting 400, 500, 600 and more miles in dry or wet conditions. Obviously our product has been on folks chains longer than the Beta test so new information is pouring in..drop by drop (hehe). We do not recommend riding that far on one lube however if you are vigilant with wiping sideplates and did a perfect job of applying the lube from the onset your experience could be the same as some of these long riders. The only downside is that NFS world headquarters is just beginning to see repeat sales from people who have managed to exhaust their first 2 oz bottle of NFS after 1+ years. Bad for us, but we are pretty happy to make a steady profit and give a LARGE portion of that to BallersRide events 'cause that is exactly how we roll.

Happy Holidays from NixFrixShun, stay Baller my friends.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 12-23-2013 at 08:23 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Everything shipped :) Thanks folks.
    Best in the New Year to everyone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question re: NFS Chainlube & Race Grease: The wait is over

Just got my two bottles, ordered with the discounted shipping. Thanks TT! I have read this entire thread, and I still have a few questions. What is the ideal prep for NFS, and what is the acceptable prep for NFS? My bikes all have either Prolink or White Lightning on the chains right now. Can I just wipe the chains really well and start with 10 drops of NFS? Also, what about a brand-new chain? Sheldon said new chains have the best lube you can get, I generally just wipe them down really well and run them till they sound like they need lube. Can I do that, then wipe down and apply NFS when the time comes?

Thanks and happy new year, Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My pleasure Doug. I'm going to paste in some instructions.
    If you have more questions after reading please fire away and I'll answer.

================================================== ============

NFS, Nix Frix Shun, is the first chain lube that does everything it should:
    • It actually lubricates the chain. And it does it so well that any chain with NFS will run quieter than the same chain with any other lubricant. Period.
    • It keeps lubricating much longer than any other chain lubricant. NFS users report quiet, well lubricated chains well over three hundred miles after their last application.
    • It does not wash out through rain, stream crossings or even post race hose-downs. I've ridden through three hour downpours and NFS was still happily working at the end of the ride.
    • It resists picking up dirt. But more on that later.

When you get your bottle of NFS from Ballersride.com or from your local bike shop, you will notice that it's small, only two ounces. My own personal two ounce bottle has lasted over one year which works out to about 12,000 road miles, and a half cyclo-cross seasons and numerous sample applications on friend’s bikes and I still have about 40% of it left. If you use NFS properly it will last a long time.

How to apply NFS the first time. Even though NFS plays well with other lubricants, it is always best to initially apply it to a clean, dry chain.
    • If you have a chain cleaning system or a solvent so that you can thoroughly clean your chain, use them. Make sure that the cleaned chain is completely dry before applying NFS.
    • If you do not have a way of removing your old lubricant and the dirt it holds with a cleaner or solvent, do your best to wipe your chain down with an aggressive cloth like terry cloth.
    • Then clean your chain rings, the rear derailleur jockey wheels and your cassette as your old lubricant is sticking dirt and grime on them as well.
    • Now, with your bike in a shop stand, shift into your largest gear development, typically the 53-12 on a road bike.
    • Flip up the applicator top on your bottle of NFS. Begin pedaling backwards, flip the NFS upside down and start to "drizzle" a very thin thread of NFS, first between the chain's outer plates, then between the inner plates. If you drizzle accurately, almost all of that thin thread will quickly begin to penetrate into the tiny space between the plates and into the interior of the chain where it can work. In total, your first application should not apply more than ten drops of NFS but since your are drizzling the NFS and not dripping it, it can be hard to tell how much you've applied. So, if your thin drizzle thread has hit almost every link and you have done one full chain revolution for both the inner and outer plates, STOP!!!.
    • Next, pedal backwards for another minute or so to distribute the NFS throughout your chain. Then pedal forward and run through the gears once quickly.
    • Finally, grab that terry cloth rag and go to town wiping down the chain again. Make sure that you remove everything you can from the outside of the chain, the chainrings and the jockey wheels. If lubricant is on the outside of the chain, it is not doing any good.
    • Go for a ride.
    A couple of notes before we move on to maintenance.
    • After application, as you are pedaling backwards, the NFS is being distributed throughout the chain by a number of means. Any NFS that gets on the large chainring or the cog in the rear redistributes that lube back to a different part of the chain next time around. More importantly, NFS that gets on the jockey wheels does the same thing very quickly because they are so small and because they ride on both the outside and inside of the chain. This is the reason you want to start the application process with a very clean drivetrain.
    • As you ride with NFS, some of it will show up where you originally applied it between the chain's inner and outer plates. That's what happens as it is doing its job. However, like most lubricants, that small amount of NFS can collect some dust and dirt and in fact, much of the dirt you will see will have come from inside the chain where NFS has brought it out to the outside.

Maintenance:
    • Beyond lubrication, the most important thing you can do to maintain your chain is to keep it clean. This does NOT mean using solvents or chain cleaners as they destroy or remove lubricants. Cleaning is simply removing the accumulated dirt that has gotten in the chain. In extreme cases, some of that dirt is actually microscopic bits of the insides of your chain but for the most part, it is accumulated bits of dirt and dust. The best way to get rid of it is to simply wipe your chain down aggressively after EVERY ride. The NFS inside your chain will take care of bringing the dirt to the outside of the chain so that you can wipe it away.
    • Do NOT add NFS with each wipe down. You will end up with way too much in your chain. After your first application, simply wipe down the chain after each ride and note how many miles you've ridden before your chain begins to sound a bit dry. Don't wait for the chain to begin squeaking as that is a sign you've gone too far.
    • Once the dry sound begins, plan on adding a very small amount of NFS once you are home. Use the same process you did on first application, but from now on, that drizzle thread on the inside and outside plates should be applied on no more than half a chain revolution before back pedal redistribution. To make this a bit easier, figure that one revolution of a 53 tooth chainring is about half a chain length. So one crank revolution of thread drizzle on each side of the chain is the most you will need. This way, you will not apply too much.
    • Again, backpedal for another minute, wipe, wipe, wipe. Ride.
    • Easy.
    BallersRide

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BTW Doug, yes the process you currently use is bueno.
    Wipe the chain aggressively and apply more when you "hear" it talking.
    Generally speaking 5 drops for a "refresh" and 10 to 12 for a dry chain.

Quote Originally Posted by dvancleve View Post
    Just got my two bottles, ordered with the discounted shipping. Thanks TT! I have read this entire thread, and I still have a few questions. What is the ideal prep for NFS, and what is the acceptable prep for NFS? My bikes all have either Prolink or White Lightning on the chains right now. Can I just wipe the chains really well and start with 10 drops of NFS? Also, what about a brand-new chain? Sheldon said new chains have the best lube you can get, I generally just wipe them down really well and run them till they sound like they need lube. Can I do that, then wipe down and apply NFS when the time comes?

Thanks and happy new year, Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've got a game.
    Let's see who is going to become the TWELVE THOUSANDTH VSalon member? The lucky duck will get a bottle of NFS.

Current VSalon Stats (1/9/14):
    Threads 33,678 Posts 553,008 Members 11,965

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, so it's official (according to VeloNews), NFS is one of the slickest of the "thick" wet lubes under absolutely perfect conditions ... after ten minutes of use, almost as slick as olive oil. Now, let's see if they do some "real world that we all live in" testing. I get that they have to keep the testing in the lab to keep things fair and consistent. But let's start a water mist or spray on the chain as it's running. Or maybe a mud applicator. Sure Paraffin is slick and clean. How does it hold up in the real world?
    Tom Kellogg
    Rides bikes, used to make 'em too.
    Spectrum-Cycles.com
    Butted Ti Road, Reynolds UL, Di2, QuarQ, Conour lite, SP Zero
    Steel Cross, X-7, Crank Bros, Concour Lite, Nemesis, Grifo
    Steel Piste, D-A Piste, PD-7400, Concour lite, Zipp 404
    http://kapelmuurindependent.be

Shortest TFC Member (5'6 3/4") & shrinking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I've got a game.
    Let's see who is going to become the TWELVE THOUSANDTH VSalon member? The lucky duck will get a bottle of NFS.

Current VSalon Stats (1/9/14):
    Threads 33,678 Posts 553,008 Members 11,965
    I have 35 aliases.
    Are you really gonna make me use all of them?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick, run home and read VeloNews. Apparently NFS was tested along with other brands. They sure are stealth, I had no idea.
    The "truth" is in the tasting. There are are nearly 500 replies to this thread and 23,00 views and close to 2,000 bottles of NixFrixShun "out in the wild". We are stocking brick and mortar shops in Australia and the USA....everybody is pretty tickled with the product. A very telling aspect of this are the shop mechanics, they crave the stuff.
    Be calm, Don't Panic. I'm in the process of making up another 110 gallons of the stuff!!!! << Not kidding.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kellogg View Post
    OK, so it's official (according to VeloNews), NFS is one of the slickest of the "thick" wet lubes under absolutely perfect conditions ... after ten minutes of use, almost as slick as olive oil. Now, let's see if they do some "real world that we all live in" testing. I get that they have to keep the testing in the lab to keep things fair and consistent. But let's start a water mist or spray on the chain as it's running. Or maybe a mud applicator. Sure Paraffin is slick and clean. How does it hold up in the real world?