User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Airline Carry-On Bags (not for bikes) Roller and non-Roller styles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Airline Carry-On Bags (not for bikes) Roller and non-Roller styles

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Jays View Post
    It is unfortunate there is so little in the way of "real world" usage photos.
    Even their Facebook page has mostly tabletop pics. Good grief, put them over a model's shoulder!
    Or show with an iPhone and a bottle of water already. Help us to buy your stuff, Bedouin Foundry. :-)
    In their defense, a couple years ago their website was full of endless pages of images of beaten up bags on the backs of serious fixie riders. The owner used one to bring back rolls of hides from their supplier and the photos were very telling. His Barbary was completely intact, but the buckles were older painted ones and had lost all their paint, the canvas was polished, and the leather was burnished and worn on all the edges. Nobody liked the website then, so they cleaned up their act.

Truth be told, Brits have a problem with websites. There are some good ones, some great ones too, but too many crappy ones. I honestly think their audience doesn't know a good website and complains about them when they run into one.
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Than there was that time I was stuck in Paris: no passport, 40Euros (borrowed), my bike and the cloths I had on and (wait for it) Assos Sturmprinz jacket hahahahahahah.
    It took a couple weeks to get funds and new ID but during that time I lost 10 lbs walking Paris and gained an appreciation for living with alot less.
    Damn. I thought we'd really get into a story here. How TT got rolled by a beautiful French girl and she took everything except a bike and some bike clothing that wouldn't fit anyone but TT. I always expect so much of you, Josh. You disappointed me.
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since we're on the topic, how about ideas for checked luggage?

The stuff I've had for years (most of my travel is short-stay business stuff, so I only do carry-on for that) is just about worn out so I'm thinking of getting something new.

One issue is hard vs soft sides - anyone care to comment on whether going with hard-sided is worth it? I've only used soft, but can see the benefits of hard.

Also, I think one large (not monster) and a medium that nests inside the larger would be ideal for the trips where you have to lug a lot more stuff in one direction than in the other.

As far as 2 wheels vs 4, I don't really care that much, as long as they're somewhat soft for rougher surfaces (think inline-skate type wheels) and hold up over time.

TIA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As my trips have become less haul cymbals and gears to gigs/ more haul gear on outdoor vacations, here's some stuff I picked up.

Ride Snowboards Perfect Snowboard bag. This thing is a small coffin on rollers. Fits my board, boots helmet, goggles, gloves, tools, base layers, outerlayers, and still has tons of room left. I load it up with spare shoes, water bottles, clothes, whatever else I want to carry. Haven't tried yet but I could fit a two man tent in there as well. The funny thing about ski equipment v bicycles is that on most airlines they can be oversize without the oversize fee. This thing fully loaded counts as one checked bag. And there's no need to lie about what's inside.
    http://coresites-cdn.factorymedia.co...tuoriniemi.jpgride-sanatarium-snowboard-bag-pack-2016-2017-review-sami-tuoriniemi.jpg

REI Flash 45 Backpack. My Weekend duffel has started to give near the handles. I wound up using them as shoulder straps and wearing it as a backpack anyway, when hauling around that coffin case. Plus it has more compartmentalization, so I should be able to find things easier. I can also use it as a day/ weekend pack for short camping trips. I did a bunch of searching online and it looks like most airlines will let you carry on backpacks around 50L, as long as they'll fit in the overheads. I searched for a pack roughly the size of my go-to duffel. Flying to Moab next week, will report back on how it handles as a carry-on.
    0417bpgg_packs_rei_gn.jpg
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've used/abused Patagonia bags and they are hard to beat, but recently we got some Dakine rollerbags which have been great. I always stash one of those little cheesy string backpack bag thingies they give you at fondos inside, then when the gate agent offers to check bags for free I jamb critical items in there and gleefully hand over my roller to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I fly a ton lately. In San Diego airport now. Last two weeks were LAX and SFO, and so on; turns out many of my accounts are on the left coast. REI roller has been bullet proof and super convenient to use. I never check a bag unless I bring a bike.

Big fan of REI stuff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My experience the last few times I have flown is that gate agents are done fighting with individuals. Rather than say someone's bag is not going to fit they just tell people towards the end of boarding that there is no room left in the overheads and they must start checking carry-ons. While I sit in the cheap seats, I do have priority boarding on a few airlines (via credit cards we never use) so that helps get my bag on board.

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    ...I did a bunch of searching online and it looks like most airlines will let you carry on backpacks around 50L, as long as they'll fit in the overheads. I searched for a pack roughly the size of my go-to duffel. Flying to Moab next week, will report back on how it handles as a carry-on.

Quote Originally Posted by RanOverMyTongue View Post
    ....then when the gate agent offers to check bags for free I jamb critical items in there and gleefully hand over my roller to them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Non roller bag

I had an earlier version of this. It was pretty awesome.

https://www.ortlieb.com/en/Travel-Biker/
    Colin Mclelland

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by NYCfixie View Post
    Also tempted for the Costco one TTX1 mentioned just to see if it is truly that good.
    Really hard to beat for $99:

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Sign....11760915.html

I believe they've used the same mfg as B&R and others in the past.

I used one circa '95 - '05. Probably flew at least 50 segments per year during that time.

The bag eventually lost a zipper pull - I contacted Costco to buy a replacement... Their response: We see in our system that you purchased this bag 10 years ago. Sorry about the zipper. Please return the bag to your nearest club for a replacement. So I went to the store and the replacement was a new bag, complete. OK, if you insist...

I still have the replacement bag, and use it from time to time. In some ways it's better than the more expensive bags I presently use. The older bags didn't have the Kirkland badge, but it's probably removable if it bothers you.

Some nuances:

- 2 wheels or 4? Personally, I'm fine with 2 wheels
    - Interior organization. I like full length interior zippered side pockets and compression straps in the large compartment, and the option to use a suiter folded in to the top compartment. How is the retractable handle managed - does it detract from the interior space? Same for the wheels - are they thoughtfully integrated in a way that minimizes impact on usable interior space?
    - Exterior organization. Clip to carry a briefcase or backpack (i.e., how does the roller work in combination with a 2nd bag?). Expansion panels. One horizontal zippered compartment for a newspaper, etc.
    - Serviceable wheels. Can you pop on an inline skate wheel if you need a replacement in a pinch? Decent bearings?

Bon voyage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

finally back home.

this is a stock image of the bag i've been travelling with, as mentioned here.

you can spend a lot more money on a wheeled bag, but you wont find one that is made much better than this one. very rugged handles on all sided for quick grabbing out of the overhead or back of a pickup. good, solid retractable handle, and burly zippers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't travel as much as I used to. I had a spell of 200,000 mile+ years. I am glad I no longer do that.

I NEVER carry a bag onto a plane, ever.

I check the damn thing and let someone else get it to my destination. I bring on a book, iPad, headphones and amp. That's it.

I use B&R luggage, the no questions asked warranty is worth any price. The airline does something to my bag, I drop it at the B&R service depot, they phone me when it's ready. Simple.

I wish the airlines would actually enforce the damn carry on restrictions. Planes would get in the air so much quicker.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've always thought they should weigh the passenger plus the bags.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    I don't travel as much as I used to. I had a spell of 200,000 mile+ years. I am glad I no longer do that.
    I check the damn thing and let someone else get it to my destination. I bring on a book, iPad, headphones and amp. That's it.
    I use B&R luggage, the no questions asked warranty is worth any price. The airline does something to my bag, I drop it at the B&R service depot, they phone me when it's ready. Simple.
    I wish the airlines would actually enforce the damn carry on restrictions. Planes would get in the air so much quicker.

I would never get on a plane without at least a change of clothes with me in my carry-on or small "personal item" bag because Airlines lose luggage too often even in this day of computerized everything. As for boarding, that is because of the "priority" status that everyone seems to have these days. I am guilty as anyone because I have several airline credit cards that I never use but get me priority boarding.

Make life simple and go back to the way it was:
    - Do not charge for checked luggage (people are cheap which is why the average leisure traveler does not check bags anymore) so everything goes under the plane beforehand
    - Board military
    - Board people who actually might need more time (elderly with a handicap, other handicap, etc.)
    - Board families with children under 3 (and only the ones with children under 3)
    - Board first class
    - Board coach from the back of the plane forward by row (and get rid of all priority boarding which would also get rid of the stupid lines at the gate that now form 45 minutes before boarding)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I've always thought they should weigh the passenger plus the bags.
    I'll take the bait.

If you weighed and/or measured the average American, they would never be allowed on the plane.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I check the damn thing and let someone else get it to my destination.
    the convenience of getting on a plane unencumbered may be nice, but when you're flying through major airports - you add a minimum of 40+ minutes to the round trip travel time checking bags. when i get off a plane following a long trip, i want to walk down the jetway and leave the airport, immediately. i do NOT want to wait around a baggage claim conveyor and wonder if i'm going to be the unlucky one. it's also generally out of the way to go to baggage claim. i want to get out the door while all the suckers are collecting checked bags. also - most of my trips are short hops, and having a bag lost would be a disaster, and ultimately mean a failed business trip.

different strokes and all, but for me - i won't check a bag unless i absolutely need to, which is pretty much never.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    the convenience of getting on a plane unencumbered may be nice, but when you're flying through major airports - you add a minimum of 40+ minutes to the round trip travel time checking bags.
    Jeez, you just walk to the back the plane and open the door, easy peasy.

c525cj2-ef4.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    the convenience of getting on a plane unencumbered may be nice, but when you're flying through major airports - you add a minimum of 40+ minutes to the round trip travel time checking bags. when i get off a plane following a long trip, i want to walk down the jetway and leave the airport, immediately. i do NOT want to wait around a baggage claim conveyor and wonder if i'm going to be the unlucky one. it's also generally out of the way to go to baggage claim. i want to get out the door while all the suckers are collecting checked bags. also - most of my trips are short hops, and having a bag lost would be a disaster, and ultimately mean a failed business trip.

different strokes and all, but for me - i won't check a bag unless i absolutely need to, which is pretty much never.
    You may have missed the part where it it is at least intimated that I have flown once off twice, and at least one of those was through a "major" airport.

I am well aware of exactly what checking my bags means.

As to the possible impact of weighing passenger and luggage .... that would tend to mak the flight experience just that much better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may have missed the part where it it is at least intimated that I have flown once off twice, and at least one of those was through a "major" airport.

I am well aware of exactly what checking my bags means.
    yes, caught that part. i was not implying that you're not an experienced air traveler, just adding to the conversation...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't say I never carry my bag on, but checking has come to be one of my guilty pleasures.

As more or less everyone now carries on, I think the entire baggage handling process has gotten more reliable. The only things I've had misplaced in the past few years were oversized items that had to be checked no matter what.

I love not schlepping my crap all around the airport. Ever think about rolling your bag through an airport bathroom, then plopping it on the hotel bed where you're going to sleep?

I'm so glad to opt out of standing in line to try to get on the plane first, just so I can get space in the overhead bin. We're all leaving at the same time in the same can, right?

Gate agents might hate me, but I get up to board the plane once the line has cleared and they're making last calls. I have zero interest in sitting in a plane seat one more minute than absolutely necessary. My priority status entitles me to even more time in a little blue plastic seat? Oh thanks.

I generally have a buffer on my arrival, so I'm really not in a big hurry. I get the feeling that I'm an outlier, though. Most of my fellow travelers seem to be late, late, late, even if they're wearing Bermuda shorts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is interesting that a discussion about the best carry-on has lead to a discussion about "who carries a bag on the airplane". I hate checking luggage but my wife is the opposite in that she hates packing very small and light into a carry-on.

I am hoping that our experience from last summer might change her mind (thoroughly summarized):
    - Planned to fly from Boston to Newark to London on Saturday into Sunday via United (using miles these were the only flights we could get).
    - Wake up Saturday and told flight to Newark is cancelled and they automatically booked us on similar flights on Sunday (WTF we could have driven to Newark and made our London flight the same day) lost a day in London thanks to United
    - Get to Logan on Sunday, checked bag, waiting in United Club, told our Newark flight is cancelled again. The United Club booked us on Delta direct to Heathrow.
    - Running through the Logan to another terminal for the Delta flight (they said they would get our luggage moved to the new flight at the different terminal)
    - Go through security again at the new terminal - running through terminal so we do not miss the Delta flight
    - Arrive in London Monday morning with only a change of unmentionables. Luggage is MIA (never left Logan).
    - Spend time shopping for discount clothes at Primark in London when we should have been having fun and sightseeing. This experience alone has made me never want to fly anywhere in the world, no matter how much it costs, unless it is direct.
    - After several calls and a great deal of lost time bags finally get delivered to hotel on Wednesday at 11:50pm local time (yes, that's three days to get bags from Logan to Heathrow)
    - Still having fun in London
    - Drag checked luggage roller through London on underground to train station. Take train to Paris. Drag checked luggage from Paris train station on Metro to hotel.
    - Have fun in Paris.
    - Drag checked luggage from hotel to Paris Airport on metro and train.
    - At CDG, after we check our luggage we are told the Paris to Newark flight is delayed several hours and we will miss that last connection from Newark to Logan.
    - We beg United to put us on the direct to Logan Air France flight - they tell us to piss off (in French of course)
    - Board the United Flight to Newark knowing we will not get back to Boston (we still have friends in NJ so we can stay with them or in a hotel for the night)
    - After the entire United flight is boarded, they ask 17 people with connections through Newark to volunteer to get off the plane and take a later flight because they are overweight and overbooked
    - Tell my wife to run to the front and get us a direct flight to Logan and we will give up our seats
    - Not only do we get the seats but $500 each in United dollars (as if we are ever going to fly United again)
    - They put us on the direct to Logan Air France flight that we begged them to put us on earlier (Irony?)
    - They take our checked luggage off the plane and we must wait for it at baggage claim
    - Once we have our luggage they book us on Air France
    - We must go through customs again to exit the terminal and enter the country again all while dragging our roller
    - We must take a bus to the other terminal - still dragging that roller
    - We then must go through customs again to leave the country and security again at the other terminal
    - We check our roller bag, again
    - Air France is the most pleasant experience we have ever had on a plane (except when I used to get bumped to first class on business flights many years ago). Champagne in the cheap seats, paper menu to review so you can decide what you want for dinner, and pleasant flight crew. Again, this all happened in the cheap seats.

For those keeping score, we used United miles to fly BOS=>EWR=>HEA and CDG=>EWR=BOS on United but we actually flew BOS=>HEA on Delta a day late and CDG=>BOS on Air France.

The moral of the story is, we will never fly United again (this was one of many bad experiences), we wish Air France flew domestically in the USA, I have begged my wife to never check a bag again, and why I started this thread about carry-on luggage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that is quite an ordeal!

it's definitely a whole different level of stress when flying for personal holiday vs business travel, especially when you have kids or other family who are not used to hectic travel involved.

flying in general blows these days.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast