User Tag List

Page 67 of 68 FirstFirst ... 575859606162636465666768 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,340 of 1342

Thread: Help losing 20 lbs

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Help losing 20 lbs

Quote Originally Posted by Daltex View Post
    Anyone ever use one of those Withing connected scales? I read an article written by Penn Gillette. He had lost a tremendous amount of weight. He raved about how the connectivity of the scale helped he & a small group of friends in their endeavor.
    I use one religiously and in conjunction with my Activitie (timepiece). It took about a week for me to become a believer. I had to buy an iPad to use it since I don't own a cell phone, smart phone, or mobile device. But I now also love my iPad according to my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Daltex View Post
    Anyone ever use one of those Withing connected scales? I read an article written by Penn Gillette. He had lost a tremendous amount of weight. He raved about how the connectivity of the scale helped he & a small group of friends in their endeavor.
    I do. And I am a fan. Definitely helps me track and see what works over time. The one thing I have really correlated with weight gain is sleep / jet lag for me. Also an interesting note is around July and August I shed about 5 lbs without even trying. But when October comes around its very hard for me to keep weight off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jet lag, so true, damn it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For you guys using the Withings scale, do you find the body fat % measurement useful? I don't have a cell phone or a fit bit, so I'm not going to use the connectivity functions, but I am curious about the fat measurement as a weight loss motivator.
    Jonathan Lee
    My science page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by summilux View Post
    For you guys using the Withings scale, do you find the body fat % measurement useful? I don't have a cell phone or a fit bit, so I'm not going to use the connectivity functions, but I am curious about the fat measurement as a weight loss motivator.
    Suggestion: Use "athlete mode"...
    https://withings.zendesk.com/hc/en-u...e-Athlete-mode

I find that when my weight plateaus in season or off season, the BMI / Body Fat measurement becomes more relevant, and having the data impacts my behavior in a good way.

The BMI / Body Fat % metrics are also useful for competitive athletes or anyone planning an event. The point is - there are times when this measurement is more relevant than weight alone.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was secretly doing the Fit->Fat->Fit TV show (in my head). I'm in phase 2. A couple days ago - I went back to the portion control that led me to sweet sweet fitness. In 2 1/2 days, I feel better than I've felt in 3 months. My body doesn't handle carbs well and when I cut way back, it let's me know I'm on the right track. My goal is to be in the best shape of my life by August. Nothing much - just like any other goal.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon White View Post
    I was secretly doing the Fit->Fat->Fit TV show (in my head). I'm in phase 2. A couple days ago - I went back to the portion control that led me to sweet sweet fitness. In 2 1/2 days, I feel better than I've felt in 3 months. My body doesn't handle carbs well and when I cut way back, it let's me know I'm on the right track. My goal is to be in the best shape of my life by August. Nothing much - just like any other goal.
    I've been eating right more consistently. I fell off the wagon hard at this place Home

It was awesome for about an hour, but then I didn't feel right for a few days. It's amazing how things change, when things change.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was on the Thin Mints and IPA diet for a few weeks. The first time I got on my Withings scale I was surprised, and not pleasantly. So I'm off the Thin Mints and trying to get back to some portion control. So far so good. I'm kicking off my season this Sunday and I'm almost at fighting weight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive been doing similar.

I think ive mentioned it in here before but we started eating everything under the sun when my wife and I knew we were expecting our now baby girl.

The last week and a half we have gradually cut back eating crap and are working out again.... just today do I feel totally drained from the change in diet. I've been feeling much better but I think my body is wondering when I will be taking in the next bit of sweet/heavy carbs.
    Matt Moore

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I was on the Thin Mints and IPA diet for a few weeks. The first time I got on my Withings scale I was surprised, and not pleasantly. So I'm off the Thin Mints and trying to get back to some portion control. So far so good. I'm kicking off my season this Sunday and I'm almost at fighting weight.
    Dude. Thin Mints, Tagalongs, Dosi-Dos, and Samoa's diet. I ate 4 boxes in a week. No wonder I was feeling like doo-doo.
    Also, Saturday trips to Funky Buddha w/ the soccer team is probably around 2K calories - just in beer - throw in yucca tots, the meat/cheese/pickle plate, and some wings and it's a couple days worth of calories.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dude. Thin Mints, Tagalongs, Dosi-Dos, and Samoa's diet. I ate 4 boxes in a week. No wonder I was feeling like doo-doo.
    Also, Saturday trips to Funky Buddha w/ the soccer team is probably around 2K calories - just in beer - throw in yucca tots, the meat/cheese/pickle plate, and some wings and it's a couple days worth of calories.
    So...want to meet at Funky Buddha at 5?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    So...want to meet at Funky Buddha at 5?
    No, but you're welcomed to drink w/ me at the America's Got Soccer bar after you play tonight.
    Auk's words to live by:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No, but you're welcomed to drink w/ me at the America's Got Soccer bar after you play tonight.
    Not a chance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is what I eat for lunch:

big pile of homemade pinto beans
    tortilla of some sort
    half an avocado
    lettuce
    chopped cilantro/ onion
    salsa
    queso

I get full, and still seem to lose weight? Lots of fiber.. Add chicken if you think you need to eat an animal for lunch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've changed only one thing in my life and my glutinous dietary habits continue. But about a month or so ago I started going out for a brisk 4+ mile walk every morning, listening to the previous day's podcast of the Tony Kornheiser show (La Cheeserie). This walk takes about an hour. Last week I put on my work pants and they fit better. This morning I stepped on the scale and I'm down 6 lbs. I credit this weight loss solely to mixing it up and burning 400-500 extra calories first thing in the morning. It's in addition to, not instead of, a bike ride.

I'm tempted to add to the walk and even cut my consumption. Seeing an actual result is very gratifying.

The funny thing is that the last week or so I've felt better on the bike too and I have zero doubt that losing even this small amount has made a noticeable difference up the gradients.

Shooting for 20 now!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mgurtzweiler View Post
    Confirmed fatass (literally) here. 25% Bodyfat. 121lb lean 43lb fat.

Attachment 85239

Look at that inner athlete just trying to get out (ps: it's the green). 50 bucks for follow up tests. I figure I'll do this every couple months to make sure I'm on track.
    Well, a year of not paying attention to my weight and I'm right back in this exact same situation (did the dxa yesterday). My body just seems to revert back to this 165-170lb and 25% body fat state. I cut out all candy and snacking back in November and while I feel better I havent made the progress I made last year, so back to using MyFitnessPal and tracking everything like it's my job. Was so close to my 10% body fat goal in 2015 before I fell off the wagon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm back at 158 after having been 170 most of last year, and a whopping 175 at Christmas

Since X Mas:

I'm weird. I bake. I prep the dry ingredients and cut in the butter the night before:
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1/2 cup white flour
    1/2 cup oat, chickpea, rye, or lentil flour (I vary).
    3 1/2 tsp baking powder
    sift the dry ingredients together (sometimes I add 1 tsp of dill or other savory herbs)
    cut in 3 tbsp butter with a pastry blender
    add 1/2 cup shredded cheese
    mince 2 1/2 cups spinach or kale, add to the bowl

chill overnight

add 1 cup whole milk. quickly shape into four equal pieces (I hand-shape a rectangle with the help of an old chef's knife).

bake ~ 25 min at 350

I eat one for breakfast, make three sandwiches (chicken or ham, a tomato slice, some carrots). I eat the other three as snacks during the day. Plus a banana, a milk for a cafe au lait, and some daily chocolate, it adds up to ~2000 calories.

burn 1350-1700kj on the bike (maybe 700 on freshen-up day). Eat a salad (greens, tomato, carrots, broccoli, peppers, 1tsp olive oil) with some meat in it for dinner. My metabolism was maybe 2000 calories a day at the start, at my current weight, probably only 1600 or so -- I haven't lost any weight in the last three weeks, eating the same way.

Five months of that, I lost 18lbs. No CHO after about 3PM. Dinner is always salad with lean meat. No snacks. I can see abdomen veins again, so I reckon I'm lean. YMMV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now I don't feel so bad for eating 2.25lbs of gummi bears this weekend after reading some others have their bouts with junk food too.

My Withings body cardio and Octave have teamed up with that frumpy feeling I have running or riding to inspire me to get my shit together again.

Not that I am "out of shape" by normal standards, but I am quite heavy at 179lbs compared to when I am into the fitness at mid 160's.

What better way to kick it off than a 24 hour fast. Meat, vegetables and a bit of fruit shall be the code for the next month or so. Onward.
    justin rogers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bought the first scale of my adult life last night.

It's not a good idea to live with a full time job and without a scale in your 30s. 181 lb. Eff me.

Fortunately, the comeback has already started. The last five days have been 14 hours of riding, running, and hiking.

Plan of attack is to maintain the 20/200/20 Plan (Copyright, All Rights Reserved) over the summer: run 20 miles a week, ride 200 miles a week, and make sure to be physically active for 20 hours a week.

I'm registering for the Twin Cities Marathon in October to add some accountability to the process of, as Nietzsche roughly put it when he was going nuts, getting severe with myself.

Sub-160 by October 1st is the goal, no excuses.

If the 20/200/20 plan doesn't work, I'm going to try American Spirits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was stuck in Boston for all of January and February while my mom died of cancer. It was pretty horrible and so I drank a bunch of beer and ate a ton of pizza and breakfast sandwiches, and Mexican food at Harvard Square. Well, I gained at least 20lbs. I'm usually about 139 -143 and have been for decades but now I'm 158. I was 162 when I got home and then I got my fat belly back on my bike.. I just cant believe I gained so much weight so fast.