User Tag List

Page 264 of 350 FirstFirst ... 254255256257258259260261262263264265266267268269270271272273274 ... LastLast
Results 5,261 to 5,280 of 6992

Thread: Automobiles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Automobiles

Quote Originally Posted by rydesteel View Post
    This was hanging around the Car Store for a couple days. Not sure of the story behind it but I can find out if someone was interested.
    3 door, 1967 or 68 I think. Everyone gets in on the passenger side. My father was assisting on a bird census at the Bay Back NWR south of Sandbridge, VA, and he and the Fish & Wildlife biologist would ride down the beach in one of these to reach an area that was otherwise inaccessible over land. Seemed like a lot of the Suburbans then only had 2WD, but this was a 4WD and was painted flat forest green with FWS medallions on the doors. I went along a couple times, and for some reason remember locking the hubs and lowering the tire pressure before going on the beach more than any other detail. And that all the paneling inside was sheet metal. No padding anywhere except the seats. Definitely a truck, not a rolling barcalounger like they are now.

Edit: this was in 1974 I think. SUV's were Oldsmobile VistaCruisers. We had a Plymouth Valiant. That was a compact car.
    Last edited by j44ke; 08-27-2021 at 08:37 PM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On mud days 4WD Suburbans were the thing to be in at the coal mine unless you could finagle a articulated log skidder. The weight is very balanced. We would clean them out by opening the doors and using a high pressure washer. I'd imagine they were not long for this world with that sort of treatment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those Alpha car concepts look so good! I'd be all over something like that. Although, at this point they're completely vapourware, and I have my doubts about it actually becoming something tangible, especially after reading this article which randomly popped up in my news reader the other day.

Alpha Motor Corporation hasn't yet shown evidence of the kind of corporate footprint necessary—hundreds if not thousands of employees—to develop and deliver a vehicle in just over two years.
    Alpha lists its corporate address as a co-working space adjacent to the Spectrum Mall in Irvine. That's not a likely place where it would be able to do its top-secret vehicle development work and build its IP.
    That said...the address is exactly the same one, down to the suite, as what was formerly listed by the U.S. arm of Neuron EV, a here-and-gone company that was reportedly based both in Shanghai and Los Angeles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rode up this morning to pick up the little car from the guy in Westchester who brought it back to wonderful condition mechanically.

For perspective vs my 532 TT Crumpton…

So that is, in one picture, two items you VSalon folks have been enablers about.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone driven the hardtop/targa Miata? It would need to be a 60% daily driver and would 100% be stick.

Sorta noodling between replacing our Jetta wagon with a four door bronco or buying a Miata as a third car. ( The minivan is sacrosanct).

Once things return to normal I’ll be traveling 3x per month so a third car is useful though not mandatory.

Jetta wagon is the wife’s car and she’ll probably work from home two days a week going forward. I work from home but for traveling three weeks out of four each month.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    We had a Plymouth Valiant.
    My father had one of those. Push-button automatic transmission and fake "spare tire" shape formed into the trunk lid.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    Anyone driven the hardtop/targa Miata? It would need to be a 60% daily driver and would 100% be stick.

Sorta noodling between replacing our Jetta wagon with a four door bronco or buying a Miata as a third car. ( The minivan is sacrosanct).

Once things return to normal I’ll be traveling 3x per month so a third car is useful though not mandatory.

Jetta wagon is the wife’s car and she’ll probably work from home two days a week going forward. I work from home but for traveling three weeks out of four each month.
    Guessing, but from a distance you guys sound like prime candidates for a Tesla.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This dealer keeps calling me and it’s near you…one-owner Bimmer 3-series ragtop would fit the bill nicely as a 3rd car…holds more people too. Every time that I get the Miata itch, I see one parked next to an SUV and the itch goes away…crazy small.

https://www.bmwofsilverspring.com/us...28df571f01.htm
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    My father had one of those. Push-button automatic transmission and fake "spare tire" shape formed into the trunk lid.

Those are great. The first one my father had must have been a 1965. It died due to a cracked block. Looked like this one.

The second basically looked like what happens when a car and a briefcase have a baby. It got compressed into a subcompact by a teenage driver who was doing her makeup. Remember it being brown tan something.

The third one was a Plymouth Scamp. My father owned that one until one day pulling into the driveway the rear springs/shocks came up through the trunk due to rust.

Last edited by j44ke; 09-11-2021 at 11:07 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Guessing, but from a distance you guys sound like prime candidates for a Tesla.
    I like them but I personally find Musk to be a detestable human being. Though I guess Henry Ford was worse.

Quote Originally Posted by rwsaunders View Post
    This dealer keeps calling me and it’s near you…one-owner Bimmer 3-series ragtop would fit the bill nicely as a 3rd car…holds more people too. Every time that I get the Miata itch, I see one parked next to an SUV and the itch goes away…crazy small.

https://www.bmwofsilverspring.com/us...28df571f01.htm
    Yeah, they are small
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto journalists seem really impressed with the new Toyota 86 - have you thought about one of those?
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nahtnoj View Post
    Auto journalists seem really impressed with the new Toyota 86 - have you thought about one of those?
    For a non-drop top that’d for sure be on my list.

The last few days I’ve been fantasizing about a Porsche 718T…. Either coupe or Boxster…. But it’s not a competitor of that Toyota or the Miata as it’s double the price…..

I want something manual to replace my now-sold GTI. The new GTI/Golf R gets some mixed reviews, at least as to how the driver interacts with the technology. I’d like a fun, manual daily driver that I can take to work and drive 9 months of the year. It’s also possible my next one will be a Model 3 Tesla. Different direction but that’s where we’re headed - electrified vehicles.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 09-15-2021 at 03:39 PM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Out for the first time in a while I had to loop back and take a picture, I laughed because apparently what I traded in this spring for an XC40 is a classic-ish one? It certainly was a fun car to drive.

Little_Moose
    Tom Ambros

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Certainly on my radar. I like the current/outgoing one better than the 2022, lookswise. But the Mazda's targa roof and 30 year track record are also strong points in its favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Out for the first time in a while I had to loop back and take a picture, I laughed because apparently what I traded in this spring for an XC40 is a classic-ish one? It certainly was a fun car to drive.

Little_Moose
    I love the hatch on those Volvo's.
    Looked for one when I ended up with my old 4Runner but never quite found one that fit the bill price/mileage.
    my name is Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Certainly on my radar. I like the current/outgoing one better than the 2022, lookswise. But the Mazda's targa roof and 30 year track record are also strong points in its favor.
    I have an S2000, a gas-guzzling SUV, and don't really want to sell either. But neither is a particularly good daily driver.

Cheap me wants to spend 3-4K on a mid-2000s Civic, but my "commute" 1-2x a week is about 130mi round trip.

Buying an automatic (I know, I know, but traffic) 86 with appropriate tires and alignment for adverse/winter weather seems like a not so terrible plan.
    "As an homage to the EPOdays of yore- I'd find the world's last remaining pair of 40cm ergonomic drop bars.....i think everyone who ever liked those handlebars in that shape and in that width is either dead of a drug overdose, works in the Schaerbeek mattress factory now and weighs 300 pounds or is Dr. Davey Bruylandts...who for all I know is doing both of those things." - Jerk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buying an automatic (I know, I know, but traffic) 86 with appropriate tires and alignment for adverse/winter weather seems like a not so terrible plan.
    The automatic in that car is NOT terrible. Is it the manual? Nope - but it's still going to be all sorts of fun on cloverleafs, roundabouts and roads at sane speeds.

Also, don't park the thing in the winter Saab. A BRZ/86/FR-S with winter tires is more fun during those months than when the roads are dry and they aren't rare or precious, so not worth winter garaging imo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    The automatic in that car is NOT terrible. Is it the manual? Nope - but it's still going to be all sorts of fun on cloverleafs, roundabouts and roads at sane speeds.

Also, don't park the thing in the winter Saab. A BRZ/86/FR-S with winter tires is more fun during those months than when the roads are dry and they aren't rare or precious, so not worth winter garaging imo.
    I’d drive the Toyota/Subaru all winter. Less inclined to drive a Porsche all winter, even though I’m sure it’d drive fine. It’s the salt on a Porsche I’d rather not have.

Clearly they’re different vehicles not really competing with each other.

The 86 doesn’t yet appear to be available. When it is I’ll have a peak in person.
    Last edited by Saab2000; 09-16-2021 at 11:13 AM.
    La Cheeserie!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, a bike (or at least a 54cm ) fits in the 86/BRZ with the front wheel removed. That ain't happening in the Miata or 718.

That 2.5L variable geometry turbo engine in the 718 S is a monster though. Torque everywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, not a car - but anyone else enjoying this auction as much as I am?

legendary-1984-world-champion-apache-warpath-powerboat-still-dominates-like-no-other-169059-7.jpg

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/19...-boat-warpath/

I remember watching these things the few mid 80's summers they came to race Northport to Traverse City. Popeye's catamaran was the big dog back then IIRC. The vintage footage of this thing in biggish waters is pretty cool and the stories from these boats back in the day of Aronow and Kramer are intriguing.

Ryan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rmplum View Post
    Also, a bike (or at least a 54cm ) fits in the 86/BRZ with the front wheel removed. That ain't happening in the Miata or 718.

That 2.5L variable geometry turbo engine in the 718 S is a monster though. Torque everywhere.
    I gather from previous posts that you are either in the industry or report on it. Have you driven the new 86? It gets good reviews.
    La Cheeserie!