Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Crowdsourcing ideas for a new washing machine

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Crowdsourcing ideas for a new washing machine

This is one of the best clothes dryers for hanging up clothes. Works really well. Hang up clothes in bathroom (or wherever,) turn on dehumidifier, close door. Speeds drying time noticeably. We bought two a couple years ago, one for each bathroom due to excess moisture in summer (winter is no problem, quite the opposite due to typical NYC building heat,) and one conked out last week but the other is still going. I don't like that the one conked out and will go into a landfill somewhere, but at $32 each, they are easily replaced and work really well when they aren't conked out. Ivation Mini Dehumidifier. About the size of a two-slice toaster. Pretty quiet. Has a drawer in the back. When it gets full of water, the machine shuts off and the light turns from blue to red. Pull it out, empty and you're back in business.

Last edited by j44ke; 07-27-2017 at 08:42 AM.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't read the whole thread, but has anyone suggested a washboard and tub? Saab strikes me as the type of guy who likes to stick with tradition and I can't think of a less likely to explode or fail solution to clothes washing than ye olde washtub.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have an old set of Bosch stackers -- about 14 years old. There's only two of us so huge capacity is not needed, although the washer can handle surprisingly large loads. We had to replace the motor on the washer last year, but not an expensive repair ($200). I love the spin cycle on the washer. It sounds like a jet turbine, and the clothes need very little drying, as the cycle is so fast -- 1000rpm. All of the above-mentioned front loader care tips and caveats apply. We have been very pleased with these units.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We had a few high tech top & frontloaders and all died before their time. And then we found The Speed Queen:
    Top Load Washers - Speed Queen - Home Laundry Equipment
    Its basically a commercial unit without the coin thingy.

Great if you:
    - like steel bikes
    - still ride 10 speed cogs or less
    - like the feel of friction shifters
    - Made in USA is important to you

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My brother bought a new washer. It's a Kenmore front-loader.

The thing I liked is that it's on a stand, so the door is higher up and it's easier to see what's in the tub.

I think I may start a thread about crowdsourcing a washing machine stand.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-- tammy likes the samsung all digital top loader with matching gas dryer front loader..
    in our new home up georgia way --- had upstairs room, off bedrooms/hallway, built for both with special tiled floor & poured curved sealed molding..
    she has built-in cabinets above for storage.. she had the high rise set up when they first came out back in winter haven..,
    likes the storage above better..
    my hands.., conveniently don't fit either machine ----- sooooo i just said.., "yes my love..," whatever your desire..

ronnie with a smile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Epilogue

Bought a fairly basic top-loader Whirlpool from the LAS (Local Appliance Shop). Fewer bells and whistles but more affordable. This is the first single-family home I've owned and it's a bit of an odd feeling buying adult things like appliances, but it's fun anyway. They just installed it today.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Hopefully this serves well for years to come.

Hopefully it's the Camry of washing machines, even if it's not the Land Cruiser of washing machines.

Last edited by Saab2000; 08-16-2017 at 01:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obviously you skipped the rustproofing, trailer package, and pin-striping. Good luck.

Even on top loaders, I still think they should be left open to let the water out so they can fully dry otherwise you will end up with some no so pleasant smells soon enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    Fewer bells and whistles but more affordable.
    Good choice. I had an appliance repairman tell me one time to buy the lower end of the line appliances because it's usually the controls that break, and they mostly share internals anyways.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by randonneur View Post
    Good choice. I had an appliance repairman tell me one time to buy the lower end of the line appliances because it's usually the controls that break, and they mostly share internals anyways.
    I paid for an extended warranty from the retailer. It's their own warranty, not the manufacturer's warranty. They (Bekins) are a locally owned business and clearly want happy customers. The guys who delivered it and set it up told me more or less the same thing, but that this model does have electronic controls. You have to go to the very bottom of the barrel to get mechanical controls and they might not be so great either. It's not designer stuff, but for this modest setting, it's perfect.

To add cycling content to this absurd thread about washing machines, today I set up the wire shelving from Home Depot. My cycling corner is coming along nicely. This is about 12' to the left of the washing machines. I need better lighting, but the cycling room is coming along nicely. Now I can hang the cycling clothing I wash in the new machine.

Last edited by Saab2000; 08-17-2017 at 03:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uhm, jealous.

My wife pines for our old house because she misses the dining room, living room, kitchen, master bath, laundry room, etc.

I pine for our old garage where I could keep my Honda scooter and my basement bike workshop. Priorities.

Quote Originally Posted by Saab2000 View Post
    I paid for an extended warranty from the retailer. It's their own warranty, not the manufacturer's warranty. They (Bekins) are a locally owned business and clearly want happy customers. The guys who delivered it and set it up told me more or less the same thing, but that this model does have electronic controls. You have to go to the very bottom of the barrel to get mechanical controls and they might not be so great either. It's not designer stuff, but for this modest setting, it's perfect.

To add cycling content to this absurd thread about washing machines, today I set up the wire shelving from Home Depot. My cycling corner is coming along nicely. This is about 12' to the left of the washing machines. I need better lighting, but the cycling room is coming along nicely. Now I can hang the cycling clothing I wash in the new machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We got the stackable Bosch units a few years ago. Like Gern, we like ours: they are quiet even when spinning and clothes come out quite dry from the spin. We got the type where the dryer doesn't vent outside. Heating season in Ottawa is November to April so it feels nice to not push all that heat outside. We got the bottom of the line Bosch so they were not that much more expensive that other brands.
    Jonathan Lee
    My science page

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234