User Tag List

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: 2020 Presidential Election: Who will be Joe Biden’s running mate?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2020 Presidential Election: Who will be Joe Biden’s running mate?

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I'm calling BS Corso. Quit salting the fields and engage with meaningful discussion. WTF cares about innuendo. Talk facts or shut the fuck up. xxoo
    Josh, be specific, I don't know what your problem is with me at the moment, but ask a straight out question if you want me to answer.
    Calling BS on exactly what?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    Someone could also impersonate me in person, at my polling place. I'm asked my name and address, but not for any proof that I am who I say I am.
    This has happened to me twice, and a neighborhood college kid when I was at the polls. I've written about this in the past. Each time a police officer at the polls knew me and vouched for me- and my neighbors kid.

I can and does happen.

Enough to throw an election? Perhaps not, but we each get one vote. They all add up.

Yeah, Trump says and does the opposite. He's now a politician no?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    Yeah, Trump says and does the opposite. He's now a politician no?
    That's how you characterize what he's doing?
    Maybe.
    But not democratic politics.

This is so far beyond the worst of the machine politics, or trading votes for influence, that it deserves nothing less than absolute condemnation.
    Not that those other kinds of voter manipulation don't!
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    Davids, I'm not completely defending Trump, just pointing out the obvious. Mail it in, go vote in person, Trump haters are going to find fault in whatever he does. Just as you did.

If Liz Warren is filmed voting, one may say "Great". If Trump does the same, one may say "photo op, should be doing his job, Secret Service keeping citizens from voting, etc "

You are putting a bagful of words in my mouth, insinuating far more than my simple statement said.

That said, I fully expect Basement Joe to mail it in.

Just received my official MA application for a mail in ballot. Anyone who wants to vote illegally had to do is take this out of my mailbox, have the ballot sent to another address, (space provided) and mail in the ballot as me. I'm sure you may have received the same application. Anyone who wants to screw with the process has opportunity to. Will the actual ballot have a fool proof qualifying way to make sure I was the actual person mailing it in? I doubt it.

I'll be voting in person.
    I'm sorry, but this is underpants gnome theory kind of stuff. Do even swing a local election, you're talking going around and taking hundreds, if not thousands, of applications manually out of mailboxes. The manpower alone to do that is absurd to contemplate to even have any shot at swinging an election. Unless, of course, you're citing what the GOP did in the NC House race a couple years ago which, shock of shocks, they got caught because it's friggin hard to do this on any real scale. And being stupid enough to knock on doors and say you'll mail in someone's ballot for them. North Carolina GOP Operative Faces New Ballot Tampering Charges : NPR

It's far easier to suppress the vote -- thank Justice Roberts -- and get desired outcomes through things like gerrymandering than it is to meaningfully swing an election through manual ballot manipulation.

This is a non-issue. What is an issue is the President violating his oath of office by starving the Postal system at a time when it's needed more than ever to ensure everyone has access to their right to vote.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by davids View Post
    That's how you characterize what he's doing?
    Maybe.
    But not democratic politics.

This is so far beyond the worst of the machine politics, or trading votes for influence, that it deserves nothing less than absolute condemnation.
    Not that those other kinds of voter manipulation don't!
    Man, just trying to lighten things up a bit...I guess I should have said "sausage" somewhere in my post. Hypocrisy is the daily norm with politicians, ALL of them.

I'm not on the Trump train. I know I've defended him in the past (done with that), but even the slightest nod to the President brings out an avalanche of replies on the Salon.

I thought my original post on Trumps mail-in situation was harmless enough, it was not intended to be a hand-grenade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As one who served my country for 24 years, and 28 if you can count the 4 years in uniform confined to the yard 80% of the time, it is nearly unfathomable that such blatant anti-democratic practices impacting voting, from reducing polling sites to scrapping mail sorting machines and other de facto "defunding" to the post office by limiting overtime etc., are occurring without more of an "avalanche" of response.

I say nearly unfathomable because after the awful alignment with Russian goals, willingness to allow foreign interference, and incompetently difficult to remedy child separations, almost nothing is unfathomable.

I truly wish America had mandatory military service. If everyone got a chance to live and work side by side with a true cross section of America, and go serve in areas where many of the things we take for granted are not existent, then maybe everyone would be more proud of what actually makes America great, and less focused on false-flag attacks on their perceived self-interest or short term gains.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The racist birther clown just couldn't resist could he? Puts out the bullshit at the press conference with a smirk. She's ineligible to run. The next thing will be, "My people will be back soon from India and Jamaica, and you won't believe what they're finding." And no one in the administration will disavow it. The rubes will eat it up.
    Oh, of course, she's nasty, she's angry, she's a madwoman.

He always talks poorly about powerful women. But about a sex trafficker who procures young girls for him and Jeffrey...... "I wish her well."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimcav View Post
    As one who served my country for 24 years, and 28 if you can count the 4 years in uniform confined to the yard 80% of the time, it is nearly unfathomable that such blatant anti-democratic practices impacting voting, from reducing polling sites to scrapping mail sorting machines and other de facto "defunding" to the post office by limiting overtime etc., are occurring without more of an "avalanche" of response.

I say nearly unfathomable because after the awful alignment with Russian goals, willingness to allow foreign interference, and incompetently difficult to remedy child separations, almost nothing is unfathomable.

I truly wish America had mandatory military service. If everyone got a chance to live and work side by side with a true cross section of America, and go serve in areas where many of the things we take for granted are not existent, then maybe everyone would be more proud of what actually makes America great, and less focused on false-flag attacks on their perceived self-interest or short term gains.
    I totally agree.

One signal benefit of serving would be a record that would follow you for the rest of your life.

You can't cut it in the service, well, no political career for you.
    Jay Dwight

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jimcav View Post

Mandatory public service? Sure. Military service? Eh, that's a bit stickier. Conscription in time of war is one thing, but a perpetual requirement to serve? The 13th Amendment does prohibit involuntary servitude as part of it's broader implications for human liberty, and this would seem to contravene that. Never mind that a never ending supply of bodies ain't exactly what a highly militarized state needs at the moment. When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail, etc etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"If we allow voting by mail, the US will be the laughing stock of the world."

Hey Don, Ive got news. We already are.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    Mandatory public service? Sure. Military service? Eh, that's a bit stickier. Conscription in time of war is one thing, but a perpetual requirement to serve? The 13th Amendment does prohibit involuntary servitude as part of it's broader implications for human liberty, and this would seem to contravene that. Never mind that a never ending supply of bodies ain't exactly what a highly militarized state needs at the moment. When you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail, etc etc.
    I'd have no issue with VISTA or whatever. My main point was that the military truly mixes folks of all backgrounds, and there is benefit to that. To me it doesn't seem hard to use the idea of military service to be in something outside warfare, or warfare preparedness. I'm not sure how difficult it would be to have the Army Corps of Engineers actually use active duty personnel on projects, and to massively increase those projects--nationwide infrastructure and all that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by theflashunc View Post
    Unless, of course, you're citing what the GOP did in the NC House race a couple years ago which, shock of shocks, they got caught because it's friggin hard to do this on any real scale. And being stupid enough to knock on doors and say you'll mail in someone's ballot for them. North Carolina GOP Operative Faces New Ballot Tampering Charges : NPR
    Ha.

Illegal in NC.

California baby...............and other states.

In 27 states and Washington, D.C., it’s legal for residents to let someone other than a family member mail in or drop off their ballot, according to policies tracked by the National Conference of State Legislatures. However, many of those states impose more restrictions on that process than the rules imposed in California.

“They said, ‘Someone is on my porch asking for my ballot. Why are they here? They shouldn’t be doing this,’” Kelley recalled.

His staff would explain to voters that they didn’t have to hand their ballots over unless they wanted to, but that the process was, indeed, legal.

What is ballot harvesting and how is it affecting Southern California elections? – Orange County Register

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Meanwhile in Florida

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sowing confusion and chaos. Such an inspiring leader.
    GO!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    If you vote on a Tuesday, how about a public holiday to enable people to get out and vote?
    The idea of a public holiday is great; however, there is still a significant portion of the American people that don't get the luxury of holidays and those people are usually marginalized to begin with - service, retail, and other low-income personnel. Those in the middle class and up can afford to take the time to go vote, or work our schedule around it, and we're the ones that usually get the luxury of holiday, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As I remember the biggest issue with mandatory service is that we can’t afford it. There is care and feeding involved if you make something mandatory.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suspect that it may just be an issue of priorities, and not considering the costs spent elsewhere.

So many Americans have spent time in Iraq, it is to me more like the 51st state than anything else.

If you took the federal monies spent, often just spent to ensure the same budget is kept to ask for a bit more the next go round (when i was in dept head or higher leadership positions, at the end of nearly every fiscal year we'd be pushed to submit items/projects to purchase/fund with "use it or loose it" year-end monies).

Then consider the billions going out to contractors for things an "army" of personnel in VISTA, or corps of engineers, or perhaps some new Interstate Spaces Force doing such projects, I'd wager there is a way to do it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's one of the first things my administration would do, that's for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go get em, Kamala
    “You? You are pushing us to realize the ideals of our nation.”
    Jason Babcock

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Barry Blitt from the latest New Yorker

Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver