Dear Guest, Please register or login. Content don't create itself! Thank you

User Tag List

Page 32 of 69 FirstFirst ... 222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: Read me >>> sharing illuminating journalism

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Read me >>> sharing illuminating journalism

Quote Originally Posted by Dallas Tex View Post
    Yet stood by silently as public universities have duped millions of teenage college students out of billions in debt? And apparently the CFPB has not succeeded in addressing the predatory lending industry's abuse of the legal system. I'm definitely not impressed.
    I'll take a stab at this.

CFPB did not succeed at everything, but it was making headway. For example, in 2010, for-profit education was roughly 12% of the student population, 25% of pell grants and student loans, and 44% of defaults. This was one of the reasons the Obama administration starting focusing on the issue.

As all things, the problem is complex, and because of intense lobbying from the industry difficult to legislate away. Student loans are tricky because it also involves the Department of education. So if DeVos decides to appoint a for-profit lobbyist as the agency head in charge of overseeing for-profit colleges and loan forgiveness problems, there may be inherent conflicts of interest.

As for predatory lending, there is a lot of whack a mole here. Financial firms are very good at finding and exploiting regulatory loopholes. So whack on mole, it just pops up somewhere else. For example, just read up on John Reddam who started Ditech in the 90's. Jerry Brown characterized his loan collection techniques as loan sharking.

Ditech was sold and since has gone bankrupt. He has formed a new company CashCall which again is payday. To get around interest rate caps and other restrictions, he went through a sham corporation set up on native america lands to lend through and claim sovereign immunity from state laws.

CFPB Sues CashCall for Illegal Online Loan Servicing | Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

I think the CFPB was making headway which is why certain industries lobbied so hard to get rid of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    I'll take a stab at this.

CFPB did not succeed at everything, but it was making headway. For example, in 2010, for-profit education was roughly 12% of the student population, 25% of pell grants and student loans, and 44% of defaults. This was one of the reasons the Obama administration starting focusing on the issue.

As all things, the problem is complex, and because of intense lobbying from the industry difficult to legislate away. Student loans are tricky because it also involves the Department of education. So if DeVos decides to appoint a for-profit lobbyist as the agency head in charge of overseeing for-profit colleges and loan forgiveness problems, there may be inherent conflicts of interest.

As for predatory lending, there is a lot of whack a mole here. Financial firms are very good at finding and exploiting regulatory loopholes. So whack on mole, it just pops up somewhere else. For example, just read up on John Reddam who started Ditech in the 90's. Jerry Brown characterized his loan collection techniques as loan sharking.

Ditech was sold and since has gone bankrupt. He has formed a new company CashCall which again is payday. To get around interest rate caps and other restrictions, he went through a sham corporation set up on native america lands to lend through and claim sovereign immunity from state laws.

CFPB Sues CashCall for Illegal Online Loan Servicing | Consumer Financial Protection Bureau

I think the CFPB was making headway which is why certain industries lobbied so hard to get rid of it.
    ^^^ Quit speaking sense.

Some people have to actually drop the anvil onto their big toe to believe it will hurt. Logic and other information just won't quite convince'em.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warren, at DeVos's confirmation hearing: You don't understand that the Dept of Ed is basically a giant bank, and you don't know how to run a bank. Being the Secretary of Ed isn't what you think it is (paraphrase; start at 1:20).

Just shy of three years later (i.e. yesterday) DeVos decided she'd really, really like to get out of the banking business and make student loans some else's problem: DeVos Wants to Spin Off Student Loan Office

Betsy DeVos, the U.S. secretary of education, on Tuesday proposed creating a new, stand-alone federal agency to manage the Education Department's $1.5 trillion student loan portfolio.
    "Congress never set up the U.S. Department of Education to be a bank," DeVos said in prepared remarks at the annual Federal Student Aid (FSA) conference.
    She called FSA an "untamed beast." And DeVos said the Trump administration wants to create a new agency to manage student lending -- a change Congress would need to make -- in part because FSA is pulled in different political directions every couple years.
    "Just look at today's parade of repayment options, forgiveness plans, unlimited lending and complex rules that FSA -- and you -- have been asked to implement, and then explain to students and their families," she said. "Congress asked FSA to implement each new program and each new plan, with the same old infrastructure, and no common-sense governance model."
    A new student lending agency should operate like a "world-class financial firm," said DeVos. And she said such a stand-alone government corporation should be run by an expert and apolitical governing board.
    DeVos touted reforms the Trump administration so far has made to FSA, including improvements to customer service, which she said has made the office stronger and student centered. And she unveiled a new chat bot, dubbed Aidan, that will answer questions borrowers have about their loans and repayment plans.
    If only someone had seen this coming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"The irony is that Trump drives news circulation. Without him, subscription rates would be cut in half."

If I had to believe one conspiracy theory (and I don't), it would be that Trump has a deal with the media and is getting a cut. everything that comes out of his mouth is must-read news for both the right and left. Everyone has been glued to at least one media source since Nov 2016.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Warren, at DeVos's confirmation hearing: You don't understand that the Dept of Ed is basically a giant bank, and you don't know how to run a bank. Being the Secretary of Ed isn't what you think it is (paraphrase; start at 1:20).

Just shy of three years later (i.e. yesterday) DeVos decided she'd really, really like to get out of the banking business and make student loans some else's problem: DeVos Wants to Spin Off Student Loan Office

If only someone had seen this coming.
    It would be difficult to imagine it getting any worse. The current system has done a great job of ‘predatory lending’ to hapless teenage college kids. Maybe the change will bring about something positive going forward.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It would be difficult to imagine it getting any worse. The current system has done a great job of ‘predatory lending’ to hapless teenage college kids. Maybe the change will bring about something positive going forward.
    A fundamental problem with the current system is regulatory capture. It is both rampant in republican and democratic administrations however favoured industries differ. So yes, it can and will get worse.
    Regulatory capture - Wikipedia

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Infowars staffers admit to making up stories to please their boss, Infowars Former Staffer: We Made Up Shariah Law Threat Stories

And then the FBI foils a plot to attack the people who were the subject of that made-up story, 4 Arrested and 23 Guns Seized in Plot Against Muslim Enclave in Upstate N.Y. - The New York Times

What should happen here?
    Last edited by thollandpe; 12-06-2019 at 12:01 AM.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Infowars staffers admit to making up stories to please their boss, Infowars Former Staffer: We Made Up Shariah Law Threat Stories

And then the FBI foils a plot to attack the people who were the subject of that made-up story, 4 Arrested and 23 Guns Seized in Plot Against Muslim Enclave in Upstate N.Y. - The New York Times

What should happen here?
    30 years to Life in prison if the same sentencing logic applies
    Derrick Shareef - Wikipedia

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is my current fav. thread. So much to read and y'all are very very good at finding topical subjects so I thank you.

You know what's next ;) Everyone who politicized this thread drop and give me 20. We're good.

It is always good to have strong discussions. We all know how not to poke a finger in someone else's eye, let's not do that here.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 12-06-2019 at 05:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CashCall, the CFPB, and the 9th Circuit: Should the lender have to refund its customers?

A Judge Said a Lending Tycoon Didn’t Know He Was Breaking the Law. Should That Matter?
    CashCall argues it should be allowed to keep the money it scammed from customers.

if you want a follow-up to the cashcall case and how long these cases take in court.
    and since the mole CashCall was whacked, he popped up as a new mole LoanMe.

You may enjoy the part about Cashcall arguing CFPB has no right to exist etc etc. as part of appeal.

Getting rid of CFPB only makes a bad situation worse.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

“Instructions for living a life: Pay attention. Be astonished. Tell about it.”
    – Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guido darling I don't get why this is anything other than "news". No disrespect ment I meant brotherman.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post

What should happen here?
    Quote Originally Posted by vertical_doug View Post
    30 years to Life in prison if the same sentencing logic applies
    Derrick Shareef - Wikipedia
    Doug, you took the more obvious fork in the road. I was asking what's a proper punishment for the so-called journalists who made up the story, what's their culpability for getting the ball rolling?

Thankful the feds nipped that one in the bud.
    Trod Harland, Pickle Expediter

Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. — James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Guido darling I don't get why this is anything other than "news". No disrespect ment I meant brotherman.
    There is little to no "news" coverage of the profound levels of cruelty of these policies and the huge scale of the impact on the lives of the desperate people caught up with it. It is too easy to get caught up in the tweet-storm-crisis or impeachment noise and ignore the real impacts of actions that aren't landing on the front page.
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    There is little to no "news" coverage of the profound levels of cruelty of these policies and the huge scale of the impact on the lives of the desperate people caught up with it. It is too easy to get caught up in the tweet-storm-crisis or impeachment noise and ignore the real impacts of actions that aren't landing on the front page.
    Ding. Thanks, now that's going to help point me in the right direction.

3 Signs You’re the Toxic Person in Your Workplace (and What to Do About It)

I just read (above). This is pretty much the journalistic equivalent of eating a fat free cupcake. Is "self help" pointless?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just read (above). This is pretty much the journalistic equivalent of eating a fat free cupcake. Is "self help" pointless?
    My "12 Steps to freeing yourself from Self Help Books" will be published in early April.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ding. Thanks, now that's going to help point me in the right direction.

3 Signs You’re the Toxic Person in Your Workplace (and What to Do About It)

I think the current term of art is "click bait". The lite beer of journalism.
    Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guy Washburn

– Mary Oliver