Thread: Paint system and suppliers?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Paint system and suppliers?

Hey folks,

I have a few frames to paint and I'd like to branch out past the paints available at the local auto parts shop to get into a paint system that has a broader array of colours and effects. I found that the 3 stage automotive paint system from Nason was fairly easy to use, is moderately durable, and fairly cost effective, but I'd like get some heavy metallics, candy colours, and multi-stage 'effect' type paints onto some bikes. House of Kolor is the biggest name that I've seen around, but I don't know if they are the best supplier to buy into, or even how they paint system works exactly as they have such a broad offering. Createx Autoair's colour (now known as Wicked Colours) line is pretty good and it is something I've used on other applications in the past, but those paint projects didn't require primer or clear coat. I wonder how the water based stuff like that would hold up in a bike application? Wet paint systems seem to be such an opaque topic and there isn't a ton of easily accessible information online about how to use them and guides for the 'garage' user.

Any recommendations for resources on more advanced 3 stage painting? Perhaps I should look into the world of custom helmet painting?
    - Brad Comis. Bicycle Designer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Paint system and suppliers?

I've been using H of K since the middle 80's so I have built up an inventory and don't want all those cans on my shelves to become obsolete. It has all the glamour paints like pearls, candies, chameleons and more. Even striping paint that has more pigment for lug lining or double box lining. I also use Dupont Imron that I started with when I came back from learning to build in the UK in the 70's. One of the things I really like about H of K is their primers. They are awesome. They come in the 3 primary colors + black and white. Paint often chips between the color and primer coats so having an undercoat color that is similar to your top coat is great. When thinned they can be used as a sealer as well. I frequently spray a sealer between the primer and color for several reasons. My recommendation is to use the House of Kolor paint system.

There are other systems that are cheaper and may work well too. I don't know or care. I don't need to find out because I have a system that works great. By the way paint systems have a personality and once you learn the quirks of one to refine the quality you don't want to change.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Createx works quite well as bike paint . . . If your primer and clear stages are on point.

The createx autoborne products are listed
    As DTM but they scratch off easily.

Prep bare metal properly. and spray with a 2k DTM epoxy primer.

After the createx paint dries completely, a
    Good 2k clear coat is necessary. I use Tamco’s high-impact clear.

The createx clear is not strong enough
    For bike applications.

Technically you should be keeping your guns separate: water based vs
    Solvent. I don’t but I make sure to clean exceptionally well and there’s always a day + between the stages for stuf To Evaporate.

My primer of choice is the TCP global stuff
    Because I can get it in a day and it’s relatively in expensive.

Cheap clear sucks. I bought a gallon of Nason clear and it just doesn’t hold up or protect base the base coats from fading. The only thing it’s good for is cutting and buffing. But the problem is that it seems to shrink excessively after a few weeks. Looks like crap if you’re trying to bury metal flake.

Tamco or other high quality clear will make your life easier.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the info guys! This is helpful stuff. I have also found some good general guidelines on the Createx and HoK websites, so I think I'm wrapping my head around this stuff. I'll make sure to get some decent quality clear coat! The Nason stuff I've used on previous bikes definitely chips easily, so hopefully I can avoid that going forwards.
    - Brad Comis. Bicycle Designer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Once you are using a system there is little need to switch to some other system for clear coats. H of K makes several types of clear and they work well. That way you don't have to get separate reducers. Some activators are the same with some colors and some clears. I think the best H of K clear does use its own activator. Stick with what professionals like myself use and don't go experimenting with cheaper stuff until you have a lot of experience. If your 1st frame paints have problems, that fact will carry with you for years. The little amount of money you think you saved does not compare to the damage your reputation can take if your results are not good right from the start.