Thread: Bike racks -hitch mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bike racks -hitch mount

Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    I put on and take off my 1up all the time. It is quick, easy and trouble free.
    +1 on the 1up. Mine plays nice with my GTI.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How is the 1-Up and its cousin QuickRack in terms of adding additional trays?

My kids have reached the age where we can no longer shove their bikes into the back of the minivan; they have to go on a rack. I currently have an older 2 tray Thule T2 that weighs a lot. Looking to move into something capable of having four trays although I don’t need all 4 at the same time, so being able to add and remove is great.

My concern looking at the 1 Up is whether the attachments for the add-on trays are robust. And how much extension the trays add to vehicle length. I know Thule and Kuat the trays add on “straight” onto the back of the existing tray whereas the 1 Up looks like it angles “up” and potentially doesn’t extend as far out behind the rear of the car.

NYers love to tailgait ! I hate the notion of adding an extra 5 feet to the back of my car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    How is the 1-Up and its cousin QuickRack in terms of adding additional trays?

My kids have reached the age where we can no longer shove their bikes into the back of the minivan; they have to go on a rack. I currently have an older 2 tray Thule T2 that weighs a lot. Looking to move into something capable of having four trays although I don’t need all 4 at the same time, so being able to add and remove is great.

My concern looking at the 1 Up is whether the attachments for the add-on trays are robust. And how much extension the trays add to vehicle length. I know Thule and Kuat the trays add on “straight” onto the back of the existing tray whereas the 1 Up looks like it angles “up” and potentially doesn’t extend as far out behind the rear of the car.

NYers love to tailgait ! I hate the notion of adding an extra 5 feet to the back of my car.
    The 1-Up add'l bike tray mount is very robust. Easy to add.
    While it does angle up it's not like you're shortening the overall length a significant amount.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 1-up's I have are a piece of cake. I have two of them because of the odd way I live in two places.

The first one I bought was a two bike rack and I also bought an additional rack to put on when we needed to carry 3 bikes.

In fact, it is so easy that when I bought my second one I bought the one rack one and an additional add on rack just because size-wise that was the perfect solution for the NYC apartment needs and I figured if I wanted to go up to 3 or 4 bikes it would be no problem.

I can't speak to the QuickRack because when I looked at them I saw absolutely no reason to buy them instead of the original (which was invented by the same guy and the QR seems like a solution looking for a problem so he could renege on the conditions of the sale he did).

As to the extension...when I use the racks on my Volvo I also use a hitch extender which puts it really out there so that I can still open the tailgate with it on but folded up.

I once forgot I had it on and backed into a stone wall with it on and had to replace one part on the rack but no other damage.

And, Quebecois' tail gaiting makes NY'ers look like a driver's ed test with everybody behaving and I always figured the rack is kind of a big ass you can't get through it bumper.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As noted above, adding a tray is a piece of cake. It basically takes two of the large, tamperproof bolts to hold it on, so it’s easy to put on and take off. The Quik-Rack isn’t currently available—I’ve been on a waiting list for over a year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking for a hitch mounted rack that plays well with fenders.
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 1Up is getting worn. Had it maybe a year. The little tabs used to open/close the rack are incredibly stiff and get stuck often. Something inside (spring?) is sticking, and I have to wrench them up and down to incrementally open the rack. They don't stay in the middle to enable to rack to easily slide open. It's a pain in the ass. Anybody else have this problem?
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven’t had that stickiness but I do wash it occasionally as the road grime that gets picked up is crazy. Think it has to do with where it is in the air stream. Where I am there is also salt in the winters which lingers and i always figure makes the metals dissolve in some way. And of course, NFS on moving parts. Don’t know if that’s why I haven’t seen that problem or I am just lucky.
    « If I knew what I was doing, I’d be doing it right now »

-Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got the Kuat Pivot to give me back easy access to the back of my Jeep. It is BOMBER, I expected flex and shake. It is solid as a rock and takes 20 seconds to unlock and pivot open.
    P8300252 by Joe, on Flickr
    P8300272 by Joe, on Flickr
    P8300275 by Joe, on Flickr

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joe - You should sell those pics to Kuat!
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    My 1Up is getting worn. Had it maybe a year. The little tabs used to open/close the rack are incredibly stiff and get stuck often. Something inside (spring?) is sticking, and I have to wrench them up and down to incrementally open the rack. They don't stay in the middle to enable to rack to easily slide open. It's a pain in the ass. Anybody else have this problem?
    Mine has been a little sticky from the start. I've had mine for 2-3 months. I haven't tried to oil it or anything, I might try that first.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I oiled mine. It works better. There's a thing in their FAQ that its not their fault if you live near saltwater or something.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maiden voyage of the 1UP. Definitely quirky, but I like its low profile and light weight. Got the add-on for my daughter's bike, too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^
    Looks familiar.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by clunk View Post
    ^^^
    Looks familiar.
    Thx again for your help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still haven't pulled the trigger on a new rack. I was about to add the 1 Up to my Christmas shopping list when I remembered that one of my bikes has fenders! (or at least it should have them back on by now). I know they sell a fender bumper but that thing gets mixed reviews and some people say the arm eventually pinches and dents your fender.

Does anyone here have first hand experience using the 1Up with a fendered bike?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like our Kuat. I don't have a solve for the fender question yet, other than taking off the fenders and putting on 32's for forest road exploration.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 72gmc View Post
    I really like our Kuat. I don't have a solve for the fender question yet, other than taking off the fenders and putting on 32's for forest road exploration.
    Removing the fenders seems to be a common solution but that is a big pain if you move your bike around a lot. The appeal of the 1Up is that it is lighter than the Thule and Kuat particularly with 4 trays. My kids' bikes have passed the size where I can shove them in the back of the SUV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli
    @Bobonli When I've had fenders on the bike and wanted to travel with the 1-up I've simply put a couple hunks of pipe insulation foam over both contact points. You don't have to crush things down for the bike to be secure. That was enough to keep bike in place and not damage the fenders.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bobonli View Post
    I still haven't pulled the trigger on a new rack. I was about to add the 1 Up to my Christmas shopping list when I remembered that one of my bikes has fenders! (or at least it should have them back on by now). I know they sell a fender bumper but that thing gets mixed reviews and some people say the arm eventually pinches and dents your fender.

One of my main bikes has fenders and my wife's bike does too. I bought a 1-up a few weeks ago, with the "fender bumpers" but I haven't used it yet, so I have no reaction yet. I did open the bx and the build quality of the rack is very impressive!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123