Thread: Espresso machines

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Espresso machines

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Estlund View Post
    I've been very happy with my Vario. It gets quite a bit of use over the last year or so. I'm a fan because I can switch between espresso and French press grinds quickly and reliably.
    I bought myself their new Sette 270 W model this vintage. My assistant winemaker was impressed with the quality we got using it and my old Sylvia machine, which possibly says something (he's Tuscan and very fussy).

I'm loving the speed and the lack of grinds retention.
    Mark Kelly

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mzilliox View Post
    I picked up this beast from Mr Crumpton recently, the La Spaziale mini Vivaldi II.

He included a Virtuoso grinder that i find is not grinding quite fine enough. are you guys enjoying your Baratza Varios? I am looking at maybe upgrading to a beefier grinder because thats the key to good espresso. what are you guys loving in terms of home grinder for espresso only? id like to keep it under $600 and open to used or refurbed for sure.
    i am missing that damn machine already. did you replace the plastic ring with the bvroke tab? if you do that you should be able to get very fine grind.

mean time i've begun the search for a new machine that will probably not come close to the performance of that La Spaziale. i am space constrained now so there is that.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson
    "Mastery before Creativity"—Nicholas Crumpton 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crumpton View Post
    i am missing that damn machine already. did you replace the plastic ring with the bvroke tab? if you do that you should be able to get very fine grind.
    Baratza's online catalog of small parts is quite impressive. or maybe how cheap the parts are is impressive. I don't know...maybe it's just how simple the machines are, and easy to work on.

Virtuoso Archives - Baratza

Also, they ship pretty quickly.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    Baratza's online catalog of small parts is quite impressive. or maybe how cheap the parts are is impressive. I don't know...maybe it's just how simple the machines are, and easy to work on.

Virtuoso Archives - Baratza

Also, they ship pretty quickly.
    yup, but i will agree with the others, mazzar mini and move on. that will be my next move.
    Nick Crumpton
    crumptoncycles.com
    Instagram
    "Tradition is a guide, not a jailer" —Justin Robinson
    "Mastery before Creativity"—Nicholas Crumpton 2021

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When I compare what I paid for my B, Virtuoso to what I see the Mazzar Mini going for online, I hope the Mazzar is better. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crumpton View Post

mean time i've begun the search for a new machine that will probably not come close to the performance of that La Spaziale. i am space constrained now so there is that.
    I did one better than replace the plastic ring, i just bought a dedicated espresso grinder... and im glad i did, no fuss whatsoever now. Nuovo Simonelli G60. its a beast of a grinder, really sexy, and super easy to use! Plugged it in and the first shot choked the machine, second shot still too fine, 3rd shot getting close and by the 4th attempt i had a nice 25 second shot w/ 6 second delay before the first drop and a lot of crema!

[IMG]Home espresso by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]

and the results, still waiting on proper demis to arrive, but glass will be fine for now. ALL CREMA!
    [IMG]Crema by Matt.zilliox, on Flickr[/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dare say this Nuova simonelli G60 is a mini mazzer killer in many regards so far. now if it holds up well, it will be a very fine grinder. huge 60mm burrs, slower rpms, and it looks killer IMO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't read all the posts, there are 24 pages after all! and I don't have the time. But I read the first page and about the grinders, I found a weird grinder at a garage sale for $20 that was unused in it's original box and even the wrap on label was still on on the grinder, it's a Kitchenaid commercial coffee mill by Hobart from 1960's; when I got it it came exactly like this: Vtg KitchenAid Electric Coffee Mill Grinder w/ Box Model KCM by Hobart 196s | #1811121499 It has a very strong motor and uses steel flat burrs like the Rancilo Rocky coffee grinder, not sure if the Rancilo will grind finer or not vs the Kitchenaid, but the Kitchenaid only grinds to almost powder but not quite, but I can chose plenty of grinds from it. I use it for my non technical coffee making which I use 3 types, the Takeya cold brew coffee maker, a Moka pot, and the AeroPress, each of those don't cost more than $25, and that's as fancy as I get with my coffee making, I can't see spending $500 plus for a coffee machine. I buy my coffee from a grocery store not from some fancy coffee only place that sell bags of coffee for $24 that I can get for $8 at the store, I usually try a variety like Lavazza, Starbucks, Cafe Bustelo, Peets, Hawaiian Gold100% Kona, and Seattle's Best Henry's Blend (these all range from medium dark to dark roast, and these are the ones that I've found at Kroger's that I actually like), yeah I know those grocery store ones are not as good but I can't see spending that kind of money either for coffee, besides I like what I make anyways. All three of those coffee makers make a different flavor so it depends on the mood I'm in.

I read about the Nomad, not sure what to think of it, I'll have to wait for more reviews but it does look very interesting, and the price isn't bad.

Anyway if you want to make great coffee you really don't need to spend $1,000 for a coffee maker, and another $250 for a grinder unless you want to. My daughter use to work at Starbucks a few years ago, she comes over and always ask for coffee for me to make because what I make reminds her of Starbucks, especially the cold brew coffee, the Moka and the AeroPress is too strong for her taste. If you have problems with your stomach handling acid the cold brew system is what you want, you get a great tasting coffee but with about 60 to 65 percent LESS acid than any other method of making coffee, and the cold brew makes it very strong but because the acid isn't there the bitterness is absent and it makes for a very smooth cup of coffee. Cold brewed is considered condensed coffee, meaning you're suppose to add water to it which is why the store bought in a bottle cold brewed coffee tastes rather mild, I don't, I just drink it straight and black of course. The Moka pot makes it a bit more bitter than the AeroPress, which the AeroPress is really just a fancy French press. I switch between the three like I said earlier depending on my mood.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's a cool looking old coffee grinder there froze. You're right, you don't have to spend big bucks to brew good coffee. BUT, espresso is a whole different ballgame.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i need to find a good cold brew method.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hario Cold Water Coffee Dripper - Contemporary - Coffee Makers - by Prima Coffee

Only one left...
    rw saunders
    hey, how lucky can one man get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take a look at the Takeya, this is where I got mine from: Amazon.com: Takeya Cold Brew Iced Coffee Maker, 1-Quart, Black: Drip Coffeemakers: Kitchen & Dining I read a lot of reviews of the various ones and this one got the highest ones, it's a nalgene type of plastic container which means it's BPA free and imparts no flavor whatsoever instead of glass that can break, easy to clean and to operate, right now it's on sale too. Then just watch a couple of You Tube's from Takeya on how to make coffee with it. Some people buy two so they have one "brewing" (actually the word is probably more accurately described as steeping), while they drink from the other, but I don't do this because I have other coffee makers, I sometimes simply fill a small stainless thermos with the cold coffee and start a new batch so while it's seeping I'm drinking from the thermos, in reality I don't think a person needs two, but they are cheap so why not?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cookietruck View Post
    that's a cool looking old coffee grinder there froze. You're right, you don't have to spend big bucks to brew good coffee. BUT, espresso is a whole different ballgame.
    The problem is I talked to a lady that works in a coffee roaster place in the city where I live, and she roasts their coffee to order right there in the store, I asked her what it takes to make espresso like at Starbucks, and her reply was rather shocking, she said you need to buy an expensive commercial grade espresso maker, and purchase a really good grinder because the grind is very important, plus buy a roaster so you can roast your own beans, then buy fresh green beans, by the time you get done with all of that you may be spending 2 to 3 thousand dollars not including the beans. She said the cheap espresso machines on the market today don't work worth a darn even with good grind and beans, and if you don't buy the right beans and roast it just right you won't get that espresso. She loves espresso but only gets it while at work, she can't afford to buy the stuff to do it at home. She also said the closest a person can get to espresso without buying all the expensive stuff is with a Moka pot,and I agree because I have come close, which is why I'm always experimenting, I'll go as far as mixing different types of coffee.

But my cold coffee that I make will rival anything that Starbucks or anyone else can make. The AeroPress actually makes a better French press coffee then using a typical French Press, and the Moka actually makes the coffee stronger tasting than espresso from what I've tasted. I've had Turkish coffee (in the old days people from those areas of the world came to America and rode on wagon trains and on cattle runs, and they would make coffee which became known as cowboy coffee) too and that is the strongest flavor of anything I've ever had, but the first time I tried making it I failed miserably, I haven't tried it again but was planning on doing so this weekend again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You do not need a elaborate or expensive setup to make amazing espresso. Read the other threads in this sub-forum where we talk about the Flair, for instance. Flair manual espresso is about $150 all in. All you need now is a way to grind consistently. I use a MACAP that I got some years ago before the price hike however there are lots of good options in that department.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've enjoyed this method.
    https://www.drinktruenorth.com/pages/cold-brew-recipe
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shoogs View Post
    slick!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd rather not make espresso like Starbucks makes.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I find I can get decent cold brew with an old jug, 1 cup of coarse ground coffee (maybe a little finer than French press) and 4 cups of water. I steep the coffee in the water in my fridge for 18 to 24 hours then pour it though a paper filter in an old pour over funnel I have. I like it straight over ice. My wife will add some water to hers to cut it down a bit. The final outcome is affected by the beans/roaat so it took some trial and error to find the sweet spot but it cost me nothing to get started.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its true that you can do almost anything with minimal equipment. the wonder and beauty of good espresso though is not something i take lightly. Starbucks is nowhere approaching good coffee, not even close. anything they recommend should be promptly ignored, as they re-steam old milk, how gross is that? one should only steam enough milk for the drink they are making, any waste should be down the drain.

The thing about a quality grinder is there is no fuss. i have worked with old machines and finicky machines and everything from a 500 dollar Wega to a 15k industrial Synesso. I have had to try and make sub par grinders work for espresso. sure its a bit different at home because people are not waiting for dinrks, but if your grinder does not grind properly, you are wasting your money on poorly ground beans. when you have a grinder that can perfectly and effortlessly grind for espresso, life is beautiful. its like a well tuned 11speed record bike vs an old walmart bike with a rusty chain. sure i can ride both up a hill, but which one actually makes life special while riding up that hill?

if you are satisfied with the mediocre, or simply dont care how fine your coffee tastes as long as it has caffeine, then no need to spend any money on your setup, but youd spend 2k on a bike right? why not your lifetime espresso setup? i make my friends mochas all the time, but nobody has ever asked to ride my bike... so whats worth more in the long run?

just some perspective from someone who loves espresso as much as bikes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not sure if this'll post the little video...pulling a shot of defspace's beans. 18 in, 30 out, 199*, 25lb tamp, just under 9 bar. cleaned my grinder last night and forgot my setting, so it's slightly under-extracted. slight channeling issue, but nothing that would adversely affect the shot.

well, guess not. video at the click of the pic.
    -Dustin