Thread: Guns (no politics)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Guns (no politics)

Quote Originally Posted by monadnocky View Post
    You manly men can pop off your 357's and 45's all day long. Every time I feed this thing box after box of .22's I'm reminded how much fun it is, even when I bring the CZ75 and the 38/357 pistol...

Attachment 99884
    It is probably worth noting that there have likely been at least 4x as many rounds through my .22 conversion upper than the standard .45acp one on my 1911. .22 is great, and makes it more affordable to shoot often. Also my wife adores her mark2 (but has the standard barrel).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am looking forward to having the time to spend at a shooting range.....
    life is too short to drink bad wine....

Stuart Levy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bike related tangent. There's a gun club just a bit down from the top of a hill on one of my common riding routes, just about where you're getting up over 30mph as you head down into the Mohawk Valley. Did you know a .22 sounds just exactly like a blowout on a 23mm tire? I know that but every single time somebody is shooting small caliber as I go by I flinch and almost start the recovery moves.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Bike related tangent. There's a gun club just a bit down from the top of a hill on one of my common riding routes, just about where you're getting up over 30mph as you head down into the Mohawk Valley. Did you know a .22 sounds just exactly like a blowout on a 23mm tire? I know that but every single time somebody is shooting small caliber as I go by I flinch and almost start the recovery moves.
    I had an explosive blowout in Virginia Beach a few years ago. There was a guy outside and he said he thought I had fired a gun. I could understand why. It was loud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Corso View Post
    The only ranges I go to are with my father & brother. They belong to multiple ranges, and know when to go when we end up being the only ones there. We trust each other.

. . .

On the other hand...My brother-in-law has lot’s of guns, grew up for the better part of his life in a rural northeastern state. I’ve seen him and his teenage son target shoot on rural family properly. They are “safe enough--“, but not enough where I feel 100% safe around them, I barely hang with them, and I NEVER let my kids near them when they are target shooting.
    May be OT, but I have been wondering . . . I'm a little in this latter category (grew up in Western state where we shot a fair amount outdoors with OK, but not state of the art, safety practices) - I haven't shot in years but wouldn't mid getting back into it a little. Now that I live in a major metro as an adult, how would I go about identifying a range & instructors in my area that are better as opposed to worse? Any advice welcome.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I live and shoot in a major metro area. Someone commented about finding reviews that complained about places being "too strict" and that's great advice. Ranges that are clear about their restrictions because of their equipment or environment are also usually good. For example, a nearby range only allows for .22 pistols and any caliber rifle because they can't secure to near unlimited height, and they know that high caliber pistols can be hard for some to keep down (people unprepared or can't control recoil can accidentally pull the trigger while pointer very high above the backstop). They understand the limitations of their environment and enforce appropriate rules to ensure safety. Look for who is hosting/supporting shooting matches. And finally, go ask simple questions that you could easily get answered on the phone in person. See who comes through the lobby and how staff interacts with clients.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
    clay bird shooting is where it's at. lots of fun to be had.
    Skeet murderer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too like the mechanical aspect of guns and shooting. In truth, I find it quite relaxing, as the mechanics of body position, breathing, grip, sight picture and trigger control all have significant inputs on accuracy. That said, I do not hang out with overt "gun people." It is more of a grey man, concealed carry versus open carry mentality for me. I also have nothing to prove. Guns do not represent anything oedipal to me. They are tools -- nothing more than that.

I shoot Glocks quite well, but that did not come overnight. A good 1911 will have the best trigger break and reset you are likely to experience but with the cost of greater mechanical complexity and maintenance requirements (magazine capacity and recoil are issues for some as well, although I would like to try an STI 2011). Use a full-frame pistol if you just want to shoot at the range -- comparatively less recoil and longer sight radius. Compact pistols will magnify any deficiencies in technique. If you will carry, though, practice is key. Hot loads out of a compact polymer gun like a G26 or G30 are very well managed with correct technique. Spend some money for a quality holster and belt.

IMO, rifles are much easier to manipulate and achieve reasonable accuracy for novice shooters. As has been mentioned, a good .22 is a good start. Shotguns are a little more difficult, mainly because of recoil, but they are fun.

Look for a range with posted rules and intrusive range masters. It keeps the knuckleheads under control.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dogrange View Post
    May be OT, but I have been wondering . . . I'm a little in this latter category (grew up in Western state where we shot a fair amount outdoors with OK, but not state of the art, safety practices) - I haven't shot in years but wouldn't mid getting back into it a little. Now that I live in a major metro as an adult, how would I go about identifying a range & instructors in my area that are better as opposed to worse? Any advice welcome.
    Walk in, ask for orientation. Trust your eyes and ears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A bit off topic but as I find shooting a very noisy hobby I have to chime in:

I have never tried but it but I'm genuinely interested in trying out archery. I will probably look for some training course soon.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I'm retired military so I've shot some guns. My last roommate on the carrier was the ship's Gunner so he was in charge of all small arms. I got to shoot everything from 9mm to M16 (three round burst) to M60 machine guns (7.62mm) to the MA2 (.50 cal machine gun). In retirement, I have a .22 rifle and a S&W .40 pistol. I take my son shooting about once a month out at a friend's property. He has a large pond and we shoot on the backside of the earthen dam. I mostly watch him shoot, it lost it's coolness for me long ago.

There was a post about being sure where your rounds would land if you used a gun for self defense. Most of the people I know that have a pistol for defense in their home use Glaser rounds which resist ricochet and disintegrate in walls. My guns stay unloaded and put away. If I felt the need for self defense in my home, my first instinct would be to move but otherwise I'd use a pistol grip 12 gauge shotgun with bird shot. If someone wanted to harm me or my family, I'd Lemond his ass.
    Retired Sailor, Marine dad, semi-professional cyclist, fly fisherman, and Indian School STEM teacher.
    Assistant Operating Officer at Farm Soap homemade soaps. www.farmsoap.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love me some 1911 Les Baer style. Use a Remington R1 for most of the plinking. Fortunate to live on property where I walk out on my porch and blast at steel. Glock is great for carrying, light weight, great capacity, good ergonomics. Reloading is another of my hobbies. Allows me to collect and obsess about powder, projectiles, brass, and more tools. I have taken a 1911 down to the frame, and am considering some mods to it for better comfort. Lots of great written data about that hobby. My favorite is castboolits. Lots of great info there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    A bit off topic but as I find shooting a very noisy hobby I have to chime in:

I have never tried but it but I'm genuinely interested in trying out archery. I will probably look for some training course soon.
    I spent a many hours of my teenage years and early 20s at archery ranges, shooting both compound and traditional bows. If you're looking to get into it, feel free to drop me a line. Archery is a great sport, which I ended up largely setting aside in favor of bikes. If you're looking for something meditative and rewarding, go for it.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    There are two ranges within a very short distance of my abode. I've been to their drop-in nights, along with my older daughter. They can get busy once the schools let out for the year, but it's worthwhile.

I find it much more involving, more "in the moment" than shooting guns. And yes, much quieter.
    DT

http://www.mjolnircycles.com/

Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

"the fun outweighs the suck, and the suck hasn't killed me yet." -- chasea

"Sometimes, as good as it feels to speak out, silence is the only way to rise above the morass. The high road is generally a quiet route." -- echelon_john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    I think I'm in the same boat as the OP. Guns are mechanically fascinating. I think I'd enjoy learning how to assemble/disassemble a gun.
    Lone Wolf has all sorts of videos using this 3D rendering for assembly/ disassembly...

But this is the best video they have, to a newb like myself.

-Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    I've never done that or bird hunting and would LOVE to have the opportunity.
    Standing invite Toots, if you're ever in Nebraska during waterfowl season, look me up. I'd love to put you on some birds.

I love the waterfowl, my 12 year old has been hunting with us for a while now I have determined that a duck blind is not the best place to learn to shoot. So this year he went out for the middle school trap team. So far it's been quite fun. Kids learn better from others, ATMO, his trap coaches are a husband and wife that do an excellent job. I kind of have the bug. Thinking about joining the Ikes where they practice.

Sporting clays, now that's the ticket, probably the most fun you can have with a shot gun and clay targets.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12