Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tips on renting cars

This may be your answer.

Toyota Rental Cars | Toyota Dealership in Newark, DE

Toyota rents their entire line of new vehicles at most all their dealerships. You will get a new, well maintained toyota. Choose from a 4Runner or a Highlander for your needs. Both for under $400 for a week. The Sienna is also an option. This way you know what you will be getting. Give it a shot.

I rent quite often. We have our preferred vendors through my company's travel agency and it frustrates me b/c Toyota rentals are a better option. Especially for trucks. I would much rather a Tacoma or a Tundra vs. some of the pos trucks hertz or enterprise gives us sometimes.

And inspect it from top to bottom. And use a credit card so you are protected.

Do look into the Toyota rentals. Most toyota dealerships have this program but they don't advertise it.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.

- John Muir

The name is Guy Fazzio

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by prcrstn8 View Post
    So you say.

Attachment 82822

Disclaimer - it was waayyy faster than my '76 Rabbit.
    Haha... I had a similar experience. They had the mother effing PT cruiser on the lot.

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    I usually do the cheapest car deal too, and it nearly always works out that I get a bigger car for the cheapest car rate.

Unfortunately, when we visit my sister-in-law we always end up with one of these:

What a crap design this thing is. Can't see a gddm thing out of any window other than the front.
    Does your sister in-law live in Raliegh?!
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do a careful review before and after with a person in charge and make him/her sign the exit contract/papers so I have a proof the car was fine. Once, I gave back a car at sunset, we were late to catch the plane, she checked the car rapidly and say "Ok", she gives us exit documents, I come back home and 2 days later they had charged me 250€ for damages. I disputed it, person claimed it was too dark to see the damages (basically nothing btw) and that she saw it the morning after... I answered that she told it was "okay" so everything's fine but on the exit papers, she had not signed, which basically was giving them the chance to claim damages later... luckily my girlfriend is lawyer and working with international office so she sent a mail to their headquarters who apologized and said claiming for damages after giving us the papers was illegal (but that's how low-cost rental do their money)

Also take the cheapest options with full/full tank policy so you don't have to pay stupid amount for prepaid fuel... happened to me in Canarias, gas was 1€/liter at that moment, small VW Polo so I guess a tank of 50 liters, they charged 120€ for prepaid tank and gave me back 5€ after a week for the 1/10th of the tank that was left

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liv2bike View Post
    This may be your answer.

Toyota Rental Cars | Toyota Dealership in Newark, DE

Toyota rents their entire line of new vehicles at most all their dealerships. You will get a new, well maintained toyota. Choose from a 4Runner or a Highlander for your needs. Both for under $400 for a week. The Sienna is also an option. This way you know what you will be getting. Give it a shot.

I rent quite often. We have our preferred vendors through my company's travel agency and it frustrates me b/c Toyota rentals are a better option. Especially for trucks. I would much rather a Tacoma or a Tundra vs. some of the pos trucks hertz or enterprise gives us sometimes.

And inspect it from top to bottom. And use a credit card so you are protected.

Do look into the Toyota rentals. Most toyota dealerships have this program but they don't advertise it.
    The Ford dealer in my parents hometown does this too, maybe they all do. We rented an Explorer for a week, can't remember the $$, but was definitely cheaper and easier than dealing with the normal rental agencies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
    Lastly, be sure and inspect the vehicle very carefully -- under the front bumper, wheel wells, hub caps, alloy rims, etc. They say only to look for big issues but I've had to fight smaller issues, including scrapes on the top of the bumper from dragging suitcases in and out, etc.
    I had an Enterprise rental location that took its vehicles with front bumper damage and parked them nosed into a concrete wall -- you didn't see the damage, drove away, and then they charged you to repair it.
    Good advice here. I've had to deal with this too. Picked up a car in a dark lot at O'Hare and didn't notice prior damage. National wanted to charge me for it. I argued them out of it only because I was a pretty regular customer, I suspect. I now walk around the car with the cell phone camera to document the state of car before I ever get in it. At least I'll have time and location-stamped photos to support any claims.

Nick

“If today is not your day,
    then be happy
    for this day shall never return.
    And if today is your day,
    then be happy now
    for this day shall never return.”
    ― Kamand Kojouri

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Decided to ditch the SUV idea and rent a big old honkin' American sedan, "Chevy Impala or similar". I guess Chevy Impalas aren't as big and honkin' as they use to be, but it will feel big to me. Thanks for the tips on this-- very helpful info.

If you see a Chevy Impala loaded with people and beer headed north on the Taconic on the 4th of July, give me a wave. I'm going to have a real murican 4th this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do us a favor so we know its you and can salute you appropriately - strap a few cases to the roof.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have found that rental cars handle jumps of all sizes much better than my own cars. Just give it a go, you'll feel the difference immediately upon landing.
    you're not the lord of the flies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mainemike View Post
    I have found that rental cars handle jumps of all sizes much better than my own cars. Just give it a go, you'll feel the difference immediately upon landing.
    Was it a Chrysler 300 at the Wiscasset Ford Enterprise location? Rented that car last summer, shocks were beat to hell.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Anyone want a compact? Gassed up and ready to go, no waiting."

A line of people ahead of me, easily a half-hour wait, so even though I had a reservation I grabbed it. The daily rate turned out to be * more * than the midsize I had reserved.

I caught it in time but FYI.

(2nd Toyotas Yaris in the last 6 months. It doesn't fare well in published comparison tests but I really get a kick out of driving it.)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cny rider View Post
    Similar tactic: Reserve the cheapest piece of crap they have on the website.

It is very unlikely that car will actually be on the lot and you will be upgraded to whatever they do have.

Has worked for me on multiple occasions.
    I just had this exact conversation w/ a friend over the weekend! ^^^That was my observation, verbatim.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12