Thread: the art of shaving (your face)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: the art of shaving (your face)

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    My world is shattered, you mean to tell me there is something better than Feather DE blades? Exactly what the he!! am I to do with the stack I currently posess? Thanks alot!!!
    They're still sharp enough to slit your wrists.

Do you try new frames all the time (silly question on this forum)? Try the PolSilvers. I've used them. TT, it's a grass is greener thing. They have a slightly different honing but it's just different, not necessarily better. Not bad at all, just a different feel from Feathers. I think that Feathers don't take off the slight residual bur on the blade, and PolSilver's do that a little more. After a shave, a Feather and a PolSilver get a lot closer to the same feel and I like a Feather a bit better right up to the end of its life, though the first shave might be a little smoother with the ProSilver. Either one will do your wrists just fine, whether from disappointment at betraying an old lover or from disappointment that you didn't find the grass greener.
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL, buy in to find out is bubbkes. It's the not knowing that kills. I'll give them a shot, so to speak and hey it's summertime. Suicide can wait until the first snowfall, talk to me than.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=11.4;685557] it's a grass is greener thing. They have a slightly different honing but it's just different, not necessarily better. Not bad at all, just a different feel from Feathers. I think that Feathers don't take off the slight residual bur on the blade, and PolSilver's do that a little more. After a shave, a Feather and a PolSilver get a lot closer to the same feel and I like a Feather a bit better right up to the end of its life, though the first shave might be a little smoother with the ProSilver.

Great points, Lane. Especially the one about the two being similar after a shave or two. I'm going to try that out for myself. I'm several shave in with this current ProSilver blade and this morning's effort was just as nice as I recall the first one being.

I don't see it as a grass is greener thing because all faces are different, so can't be compared straight up. Like saddles. It's more of a different strokes for different folks thing. I'm sure plenty of folks prefer the Feather over the ProSilver. But I have also noted the ProSilver seems to stay usably sharp longer than the Feather, and that's a very tangible thing. It's not a huge difference, but even a few shaves add up over time.

I got no dog in this fight (which isn't really any sort of fight!). Just reporting on my experience. It was this forum that helped me decide to make the switch, so I was hoping to offer a little piece back. Like TT said, the not knowing can be maddening. It's also fun experimenting!
    Harth Huffman
    www.wabiwoolens.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

To Harth and TT,

I really omitted one of the most important points here when considering ProSilvers and Feathers. I guess I expected that anyone on this thread would be sophisticated enough in cycling matters to address it without further comment.

It's really important to unpackaged your blades and lay them out in a dark, ozone-free, temperature controlled cabinet for at least six months. Mounting them individually in razors does help the process, and curing for over a year is preferred. Be sure to surround them with desiccant to avoid any corrosion and a thin coat of shellac right before you start using a blade is recommended for greatest longevity.
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 11.4 View Post
    To Harth and TT,

I really omitted one of the most important points here when considering ProSilvers and Feathers. I guess I expected that anyone on this thread would be sophisticated enough in cycling matters to address it without further comment.

It's really important to unpackaged your blades and lay them out in a dark, ozone-free, temperature controlled cabinet for at least six months. Mounting them individually in razors does help the process, and curing for over a year is preferred. Be sure to surround them with desiccant to avoid any corrosion and a thin coat of shellac right before you start using a blade is recommended for greatest longevity.
    What's next? Are you going to tell us how to tie our shoes? Of course, everyone knows to do this to their blades. Don't they?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Goodrich View Post
    What's next? Are you going to tell us how to tie our shoes? Of course, everyone knows to do this to their blades. Don't they?
    Jeez, Curt, I once wrote something like 2000 words in a post here on the correct knots to use for repairing tubulars. So do I have to do shoelaces as well? Didn't your mother teach you anything?

And I'm sure that not everyone here knew to prepare their double edge blades properly. I bet there are some who saw they were stainless and thought that was like vulcanizing on tubulars. Christ, why does everyone have to think life is so simple?
    Lane DeCamp