Thread: Vegetarian Recipes

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Vegetarian Recipes

Quote Originally Posted by miwuksurfer View Post
    Octave, so what is your advice on iron source?

Everyone, great tips so far, especially the eggplant recipe Garro!
    Did you make it?

Also…….dried tomatoes…….like crack - sprinkle a little rosemary on the little slices of joy & dehydrate.

Spinach, we eat it all the time - you name it - not totally veggie but a spinach omelet is hard to beat.

And eggplants……the secret along with the noted salting one to take out the moisture so you can make it grilled or parmesana is for stir-frying is to boil them real quick in water with just a sloosh of vinegar and then stir-fry, they take up the sauce readily that way & cook in seconds.

Eggplant, green onions, carrots & a few bell peppers, then blend/mulch ginger, oil, garlic, BP & a couple shallots, fry this 1st real quick until the smell hits hard & add the veggies & you are stoked - add rice or udon.

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For years the go-to cookbook for vegetarian faire was The Moosewood Cookbook.

I lived close to Ithaca for several years, and dined at the Moosewood several times.
    Recomended if you are in the area, good old honest cooking.

Moosewood Cooks | Vegetarian Recipes & Restaurant | Based in Ithaca, NY | Moosewood Restaurant Cookbooks

Hans
    Hans Hagman
    Warwick, Rhode Island

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Translation into English courtesy of Google.

Original recipe in Spanish

2 servings.

Rolled dough based lentil, vegetable stuffing

PREPARATION: 20 min. COOKING: 15 min. TOTAL TIME: 35 min.
    ingredients

For the dough:
    2 and 1/2 cups and soaked lentils previous day
    Half red pepper
    3 cloves of garlic
    1/4 cup white wine
    1/4 cup water
    A little oil
    Salt to taste
    Seasoning to taste (I used one barbecue type)
    For the filling:
    A handful of grated vegan
    A handful of pitted green olives
    Half tomato
    a carrot
    Media chive
    Lettuce leaves
    Veganaise (vegetable mayonnaise)

instructions

To make the dough need to soak for 24 hours about 2 cups lentils (or a little more if you want. Whether you leftover dough I'm sure I will not bother) to which you have to change the minimum 2 times water. when it lists the wash and drain them well and get into a blender cup with pepper (if a bit picáis be much easier to beat), the garlic, water, wine, salt and seasoning you please . we beat all well until smooth dough. although you appreciate the lentils do not worry. ideally let the dough rest a few hours before starting to cook. but sometimes I skip this step and goes well.

To make this wrap, or enrolladito, I used an electric griddle (medium heat), spreading the dough across the surface (with a little oil). not have to be too fat, because if you will not be impossible to turn it around, and not very thin, because we would break and burn very fast. echo mass and will distribute with a spoon or tongue. a minute or so, and you see that there are areas of the surface are losing moisture, so take the opportunity to go smoothing with a little spoon to spread the dough is still wet. approximately five minutes and you can probe if you can turn around (the top should be almost completely dry. should be completely removed in the bucket if you play).

The disadvantage of making the dough this way is that at this time there to fend for themselves to flip. I use a cutting board, roughly the size of the plate. first check to see that the slide mass on the table completely smooth and then takes off. subject to carefully flipped return mass and iron together and turning on the plate (a movement almost juggler). if you want to save all this you can use a regular skillet or griddle and make a pancake type fajita kind, but for me it's worth taking this job to roll the dough on itself and then in the middle encontrártela every bite.

When it turned and, with the help of the spatula well go all the crushing mass. this will do it is more finite and help it cook faster. when passing another five minutes we can check whether it is already done below. what we want is that the dough is well cooked but not be crisp to roll it because it would break. should be golden and flexible. so at that point when we again turn it (the second time is much easier) and crush some more.

We began to pour the filling over the surface of the dough, without removing it from the board (you can turn it off already). first thing I miss is fine grated cheese (cheese using brand teresa divine. yet is the best vegan cheese I've had. melts and also has a great flavor and a tremendous texture). then add sliced ​​olives, green onion and chopped tomato finite, grated carrot and a splash of veganaise. keep in mind when ye turn all these ingredients to leave an area uncovered mass towards the end.

We begin to roll the dough, folding it over itself, and being careful not abrasaros fingers (I bear witness that can happen). when we reach the end we'll leave the enrolladito resting for a moment on the last fold (that we left without ingredients) to be a little seal wrap.

We removed the iron carefully, cut it in half with a sharp knife and wrap it in a napkin to serve. ready. hope you like it because the truth is that I am very attached to this mass.
    luis prado alonso

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Airedale - 20-year veg here. Well, 99.999% veg. I won't lie: I like anchovies in my pizza sauce.

I am a big fan of Yotam Ottolenghi, a master of mostly veg cooking. Grab his book, Plenty. It's go a great range of stuff that satisfies any craving. I've blown the minds of devout carnivores with Ottolenghi's stuff.
    Geoff used to race around on a Brodie Sovereign
    Geoff Morgan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder how often this happens.

Eggless omelette... [VIDEO]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GonaSovereign View Post
    I am a big fan of Yotam Ottolenghi, a master of mostly veg cooking. Grab his book, Plenty.
    Great book.

Jerusalem too (omni), and Plenty More (coming soon).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a big fan of Yotam Ottolenghi, a master of mostly veg cooking.
    +1
    Its great when you make cook for friends that do not know you are vegetarian, only for them to realise at the end of the meal that no dish contained animal sourced ingredients.

He also has a TV show.

There are some great recipes here, but an animal free diet seems to require some different approaches to cooking:
    - I simplify all main meals into four types: raw, roasted, grilled and stewed. It makes deciding easier, where instead of deciding exactly what dish, just considering which of the four types makes choosing much quicker and easier;
    - Finding a good fruit and veg supplier is the key to the diet - one that does bucket lots straight from the markets is the goal, as shopping at regular supermarkets gives you a smaller selection and higher prices. Whilst some shops may offer B and C grade produce, that its fresh and you need bulk amounts makes vegetarianism affordable (Mangos for $3 per kilo anyone?);
    - Outfitting a kitchen and storage is easier: you don't need pyrolitic features on an oven, meals refrigerate for longer before spoiling;
    - I don't watch intake, iron deficiency is managed with Floradix;
    - When I am rushed/lazy, I rely on a few things:
    + Bulk curry or stew slow-cooked on the weekend, frozen for lunches and late dinners;
    + Quick chop and roasting with salt and pepper of any vegetable (pumpkin/s, sweet potato, fennel, onion, tomato especially);
    + $250 brown rice cooker that almost runs non-stop;
    + 3 minute meals e.g. microwave salted beer nuts (peanuts), precooked rice, a can of baked beans and sweet chilli sauce.

I saw this today as inspiration for spice ideas, but I am really on the lookout for a breakdown of the spices that constitute the best curries.
    3DVqZ77.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're looking for a nice gift for that vegetarian foodie who has tried and cooked it all I highly recommend the Silk Road Cookbook for something different, I first found this at a cooking demonstration at the Smithsonian Folklife Festival- Silk Road theme from a few years ago. Cherry-pistachio-saffron pilaf anyone? The book is full of impress-your-carnivore-guests recipes. I have a bookcase full of veggie cookbooks, and this one is a favorite-
    Smithsonian Folklife Festival - Features - The Silk Road
    Silk Road Cooking: A Vegetarian Journey: Najmieh Batmanglij: 9781933823409: Amazon.com: Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a big fan of Yotam Ottolenghi, a master of mostly veg cooking.
    He was very kind and engaging when he stumped Plenty More at my wife's venue. You can watch the interview here.

Plenty more is both outstanding, and interestingly laid out. It's organized by technique, which to me is very Japanese. It makes it easy to plan a meal with multiple styles of preparation. I've had a lot of fun with it so far.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

haul thyself over to seriouseats.com and search for "lopez" + vegan or vegetarian. Some seriously good stuff there. The vegetarian pot pie is fantastic, probably better than any chicken version I've had.

dave
    My name is David Moeny

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been a veg for over 20 year. I picked up the book "Isa Does It" this summer and I cannot say enough good things about it.
    Isa Does It | Post Punk Kitchen | Vegan Baking & Vegan Cooking

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why haven't I been reading this thread? Good stuff.
    I'm done with my DOSA jag and moving on.
    Tell me about some of your all time favorite Main Course dishes. I've been doing alot of roasted veg. with brown rice but think I can do better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Mains" are a little trickier done vegetarian. Veg cooking seems to lend itself more towards multiple interesting not-really-mains-not-really-sides sort of dishes. Think Indian thali. That's how we typically eat, if we aren't just doing grain+greens+protein+cheese in a bowl.

But here are some of my faves:
    Pot pie made from celery root, glazed chestnuts, wild mushrooms. Cook some onions (shallots or sling onions even better) in butter, dump chestnuts in, add some veggie broth and some brandy and a small bit of syrup (I use agave nectar here, although whiskey instead of brandy and maple syrup could be good) and reduce until glazed. Brown mushrooms and celery root seperarely. Put everything in ramekin, add a bit of broth, some cream, top with puff dough and bake. Sorry I don't have more details... I saw this on a French Laundry menu and worked it out from the description. There might be measurements and times somewhere.

Roasted vegetable roullade: grab a mix of good looking, roastable veggies and roast them. Grab some "meaty" beans like favas, cannelloni, or what have you. Mix it all up with some crumbly cheese (I love ricotta salata, but honestly you can skip the cheese to make it vegan). Do the layers of filo brushed with olive oil thing and roll the veggie mix into a log. Bake, and while it's in the oven make a sweet reduction of some kind. Balsamic is great, a berry gastrique is wonderful, and I'm thinking of doing something with rhubarb next time. Slice at the table and drizzle with sauce.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is great.
    Good point about the style of eating involved Spopepro.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stopped eating meat in 8th grade and I'm 32 now. A site I've recently found which I really love is Vegan Richa - Vegan Recipes By Richa Hingle. Indian Vegan Recipes, Vegetarian, Eggless, Dairy-free. Most Gluten-free , Soy-free. Vegan Food Blog , food photography. Eating Plants till we Photosynthesize. I have all of Isa's cookbooks and they are great, but they often require a lot of ingredients and are heavy on soy/oil/binders which can irritate your stomach if you're not used to it. The plenty and jerusalem books are really good. Middle eastern/north african foods are amazing veg options, super healthy, and exploding with flavors. Where are you located? I bet someone here could recommend some restaurants that would give you some inspiration for cooking. Here's some of my cookbooks, would be worth trying any of themIMG_2149 (1).jpgIMG_2148 (1).jpg
    So I say to youth right now. Don't sway to the unjust,
    no matter what they say, never give in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A good book to add to the library, as it has accompanying YouTube videos by CookingInRussia:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in the heart of darkness AKA Washington, DC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Lots of good ideas in this thread. I've been meatless since the late 80s, so this stuff, and food issues in general, are always on my mind.

Easy idea this time of year: italian kale sauteed with garlic, mixed with roasted cauli, topped with parm and meyer lemon. Quick gourmet. Roasted cauli is good so many ways...

A lot of people avoid soy, but I like it. Cubed tofu fried in olive oil and doused with tamari is always a tasty, quick and easy side of protein. Keep frying until the tamari is dried up and the cubes are caked with it a little bit.

But lately, I've been hooked on soy curls. Easy to make in big batches, they make great tacos, good for soups and omelets, too. So tasty, with a texture like chicken.

Dinner tonight is crepes made with garbanzo flour, stuffed with chard, green olives, shiitakes, and bleu cheese, and topped with mushroom gravy.

My wife is gonna appreciate me when she gets home from work. Well, I hope so anyway...
    Harth Huffman
    www.wabiwoolens.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great thread, keep it going.

we are trying to eat less meat centered meals this year. we will never eliminate meat entirely, i just like it too much, but cutting down should be a nice change. there is some good stuff posted here already!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This got me looking around for analogs of non-veg things from my childhood. This is supposedly a good veggie Reuben here in Chicago. I think I'll go looking for one...

The Radical Reuben Recipe + The New Chicago Diner Cookbook - Cadry's Kitchen

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast