Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Shorts for Skinny Kids

Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
    Saving the pennies for these is worth it:

http://i.imgur.com/HDPdXsi.jpg

I'm having my upcoming 650b bike painted in the same color. They used to call it seapunk but I think they realized their clientele cares not for such monikers. Looks way more ridiculous in person.
    Those are outlier, right?
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was given these as a goof last year. Turns out I like them a lot. Totally dorky bike awesomeness. They're also good for skinny folks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    If going the Dickies route, which I support, I'd check out the new WP803 slim skinny work pant. It's 98% cotton, 2% spandex rather than the 65/35 blend of most Dickies. They're my new MTB shorts.
    just tried this out, they are pretty terrific

would be abjectly terrible as pants especially for riding in, but as cutoffs they come into their own

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    I was given these as a goof last year. Turns out I like them a lot. Totally dorky bike awesomeness. They're also good for skinny folks.

DCT just gave me his pair, as he's full-on manorexic now. Too long, have to tailor.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by blasdelf View Post
    just tried this out, they are pretty terrific

would be abjectly terrible as pants especially for riding in, but as cutoffs they come into their own
    Haha, I'm glad they were well suited for such an epic ride. My mtb rides are limited to a couple of hours bashing around on the local trails, alas. But next week my 5 year-old and I are trying a surgical-tubing adverture racing tow setup to see if that can get him some new trails on his Hot Rock.

BTW - I have another candidate for cheap riding shorts - the $25 C9 by Champion (Target) men's plaid golf short, below. The plaid version is 90% Polyester/10% Spandex (plains are 100% Poly) which I am hoping will make them delightfully stretchy and wicking. Mine should arrive today, so I'll post up a review briefly. These would be for riding, not casual wear. I don't golf.

C9 by Champion® Men's Golf Shorts - Plaid : Target

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    DCT just gave me his pair, as he's full-on manorexic now. Too long, have to tailor.
    What is the appropriate length for shorts these days? Mine are already the shortest shorts I own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is the appropriate length for shorts these days? Mine are already the shortest shorts I own.
    Whoa whoa whoa, lets not get personal.

Kidding.

It's personal. I say above the knee but below the cyclists tanline. Err toward the tanline.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In my case, at 5'11", I find 9.5 inches to be the perfect inseam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa, lets not get personal.

Kidding.

It's personal. I say above the knee but below the cyclists tanline. Err toward the tanline.
    With guidance from Chase I can now feel confident letting my knees out to breathe!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With guidance from Chase I can now feel confident letting my knees out to breathe!
    Tan line should only show if you are sitting down - then it should be right at the line.

It would be so much easier if we could just wear lycra everywhere, wouldn't it?
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    Tan line should only show if you are sitting down - then it should be right at the line.

It would be so much easier if we could just wear lycra everywhere, wouldn't it?
    And more comfortable.

I'll have to check when I get home. I'm pretty sure my tan lines emerge significantly when I sit with those shorts. If so, maybe Chase will send me the scraps from shortening his so I can add a slight extension. I'll use a clean line of electrical tape, so it should look fine and be totally in keeping with the cyclist theme.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same as it ever was:

jfk8.gif

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by christian View Post
    Haha, I'm glad they were well suited for such an epic ride. My mtb rides are limited to a couple of hours bashing around on the local trails, alas. But next week my 5 year-old and I are trying a surgical-tubing adverture racing tow setup to see if that can get him some new trails on his Hot Rock.

BTW - I have another candidate for cheap riding shorts - the $25 C9 by Champion (Target) men's plaid golf short, below. The plaid version is 90% Polyester/10% Spandex (plains are 100% Poly) which I am hoping will make them delightfully stretchy and wicking. Mine should arrive today, so I'll post up a review briefly. These would be for riding, not casual wear. I don't golf.
    I have three pairs of these in the pants version to wear out in the desert on tests. They are very lightweight, are indeed a bit stretchy and breathe/dry very well. I missed the shorts but will definitely give them a try based on my experience with the pants.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No love for the honorable clamdigger?

Patagonia Standup shorts are still brick $hit-house strong and have leg openings large enough for Cipo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Too Tall;527856]No love for the honorable clamdigger?

Patagonia Standup shorts are still brick $hit-house strong and have leg openings large enough for Cipo.

I see your Patagonia, and offer another style they offer for those of us with chicken legs, their all wear shorts. Narrow legs, length is just about right:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"stand-ups" are a bit too short, with a bit too big leg opening for this guy. feels like i'm exposing myself way too often. i've been a huge fan of some Nau shorts for the last few seasons....just the right amount of stretch in the fabric, just the right length, slim cut.

TT, nothing is tougher than Lederhosen, not even "stand up short".

Oh, and much like when you asked about shoes, you got a bunch of opinions here that will get you laughed at and mercilessly teased by your peers. Try to develop your own style...embrace the classics but add your own twist. When I was your age, some of my best clothes came from my fathers closet, as he had grown too large for many of his "classics".

Dress shoes without socks, and shorts is NAGL if you ask me. Anything with elastic in the waistband is super NAGL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lazer View Post
    Oh, and much like when you asked about shoes, you got a bunch of opinions here that will get you laughed at and mercilessly teased by your peers. Try to develop your own style...embrace the classics but add your own twist. When I was your age, some of my best clothes came from my fathers closet, as he had grown too large for many of his "classics".

Dress shoes without socks, and shorts is NAGL if you ask me. Anything with elastic in the waistband is super NAGL.
    I'm an 18 year old male that shaves his bird-like legs and loves the tanlines that make it look like I'm wearing a pasty skinsuit when I'm bear-ass naked. I embrace embarrassment.

And, for the record, I just go to the thrift store down the street and pick up slacks that I cut down and hem. Works great, super cheap, too. I like the products you guys post, but I'm also a $13/hour bike mechanic that's on his way to college. $50+ shorts? Yikes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drietz View Post
    I'm an 18 year old male that shaves his bird-like legs and loves the tanlines that make it look like I'm wearing a pasty skinsuit when I'm bear-ass naked. I embrace embarrassment.

And, for the record, I just go to the thrift store down the street and pick up slacks that I cut down and hem. Works great, super cheap, too. I like the products you guys post, but I'm also a $13/hour bike mechanic that's on his way to college. $50+ shorts? Yikes.
    Good moves, my man!! I might have to get myself some of those Dickies jawns mentioned earlier!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can put both my legs in one side of a pair of Patagonia standups. I can't get them over my thighs, but I can get pretty close. I have a 30" waist and have thin legs. They make me look like I am wearing a skort when I put them on regular style. Nicely made, but you need some Monsanto corn-fed genetics to fill them out.

Their All-Wear shorts, which I think Britishbane has pictured above, are a much better fit. Proportions are better on thin guys and the leg openings are more grapefruit diameter than watermelon. I wear them as much of the year as possible. Great shorts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Howies

Small Co. and they run seasonal so shorts are mostly sold out now. Bookmark it...great shorts

howies - Men's Shorts

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast