Thread: Offset or non-offset seatposts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Offset or non-offset seatposts

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    this is how i've been sorting it in my head. tell me if i'm mistaken.
    You're on the right track.

As an exagerated example, take this clever little device that kept southern California emergency rooms in business during the late 90s:

How's that going to handle? In case you were smart enough never to get on a bike set up like this, I'll give you a hint: it's horrible. I have a crooked collar bone to prove it.

When you start jacking your seat forward you're going to get the same results, just less of them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    For the most part, my post is a question, in search of answers. Why would a pro slam the saddle all the way back? Style? That seems hard to believe. The answer has to lie in the relationship between the saddle position and the BB, right? So Tafi, Ballan, etc., want a lot of setback behind the BB. Wouldn't it really stress the saddle rails to push it all the way back? If he had any bike he wanted, completely custom, wouldn't Andrea Tafi want something centered on the rails when he saddles up for the Paris Roubaix?

As for the mass market/pro road racing optimization, I think it's probably somewhere in between. If Specialized maximized all their frames to the geometry of the Schleck brothers, it would be hard to sell a lot of bikes. Sure, the fetish for owning a pro bike would definitely have a draw, but that has limits. If I'm not mistaken, this is why Boonen famously had the sponsor fight with Specialized. They designed a bike that would sell well, and told Boonen to sit on it. He's an odd shaped fellow (relative to the rest of the world) and didn't fit on it.
    I'm not saying every company gets it right, especially not Specialized. But Colnago, Merckx, Pinarello, Ridley? Come on.

Nor am I suggesting race bikes are designed way outside of average body dimensions as a rule either, as a Schleck bike would likely be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the most part, my post is a question, in search of answers. Why would a pro slam the saddle all the way back? Style? That seems hard to believe. The answer has to lie in the relationship between the saddle position and the BB, right? So Tafi, Ballan, etc., want a lot of setback behind the BB. Wouldn't it really stress the saddle rails to push it all the way back? If he had any bike he wanted, completely custom, wouldn't Andrea Tafi want something centered on the rails when he saddles up for the Paris Roubaix?

As for the mass market/pro road racing optimization, I think it's probably somewhere in between. If Specialized maximized all their frames to the geometry of the Schleck brothers, it would be hard to sell a lot of bikes. Sure, the fetish for owning a pro bike would definitely have a draw, but that has limits. If I'm not mistaken, this is why Boonen famously had the sponsor fight with Specialized. They designed a bike that would sell well, and told Boonen to sit on it. He's an odd shaped fellow (relative to the rest of the world) and didn't fit on it.
    those bikes are completely custom. the position isn't style- but italians do as a general rule, slam their saddle all the way back and the custom frames are designed around this fact. i don't think they give a shit about it stressing the rails. the saddles seem to hold up fine even on cobbles.

i like the look- and i like shortish chainstays so my bikes are built to be set up with the saddles slammed all the way back on offset seat posts. except my sachs, 'cause richard thought that looked fucking ghey, and it was his bike. same way when i own a vanilla or a speedvagen i'll have the bike designed around a straight post- 'cause that's the way sacha does it.

anyways-
    c

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ps every single last one of those motherfuckers are made to measure custom road bikes. that's why i picked-em. none of them are stock geometries- even that specialized thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allesandro Ballan does not slam his saddle back because he likes the look. There has to be some physio explanation.
    well you could also be back and down with the saddle, versus forward and up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jerk View Post
    ps every single last one of those motherfuckers are made to measure custom road bikes. that's why i picked-em. none of them are stock geometries- even that specialized thing.
    Pozzato's Ridley is killer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

style
    what a load of rubbish
    saddles should be mid rail ,to give the saddle the right flex and less strain on the rails and post clamp

First, saddle type.
    then determine the correct saddle set back for that rider on that saddle
    then take into account the saddle rail dimensions, they all differ, so that makes a nonsense of style.
    then the seat post type and it's clamp dimensions in relation to the tube axis
    if the frame is a made to measure frame, with a builder or designer using their noggin
    rather than speaking style bullshit
    then the seat tube angle is a product of the above.
    If for example one uses a post that has less set back then another then the seat tube angle could vary by .5 to 1.5 degrees on the drawing board.
    Two frames could be exactly the same but for the seat tube angle and top tube length, but the position is the same
    and the wheels are in the same place, all handles the same
    but one was built for a seat post with set back and then one with none.
    Will you lot use your craniums!
    because generalising this is just junk retail bike shop talk
    for off the shelf stuff, one has to select the seat post to match the saddle to get the correct saddle set back for that rider on his or hers off the shelf bike frame.

Yeah, some times one has to be cranky
    because there is so much drivel spoken that my chooks will go off the lay
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers Dazza
    The rock star is dying. And it's a small tragedy. Rock stars have blogs now. I have no use for that kind of rock star.
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/llewellyncustombicycles/
    Darrell Llewellyn McCulloch

Flux

the basic theory when i was a pro was that it gave you more seated power. a very important thing. regardless off what saddle, post (they were always setback posts btw) or your frame's ST angle. more was better.

some things will never change. why? because.

Tyler Farrar's 2011 Garmin-Cervelo team bike - VeloNews

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

then some one stuffed up determining the position data
    or plotting the position data to supply to the person drawing the frame
    or some some stuffed up drawing the correct frame under the rider
    or
    equipment was changed
    or as normal and most likely
    a stupid thick bike rider just shoved the saddle all the way back because he thought that looked cool
    even if the seat tube angle was 71 degrees or 74 degrees, they will still shove it back so it looked cool (to their immature minds)
    completely ignoring their correct saddle set back amount
    and why do I know
    all those years of working with bike riders in the national team and the pro teams.
    and with the Mapie centre in Italy with our Aussie riders (we had a close relationship, Brian McLean etc etc)
    Some are smart and use their heads but many are dumb or are some what lacking even if they use their heads
    Last edited by Dazza; 12-07-2010 at 11:04 PM.
    Cheers Dazza
    The rock star is dying. And it's a small tragedy. Rock stars have blogs now. I have no use for that kind of rock star.
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    style

for off the shelf stuff, one has to select the seat post to match the saddle to get the correct saddle set back for that rider on his or hers off the shelf bike frame.

or because of the 2nd Test........ (yeah I know low blow!) :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by corko View Post
    or because of the 2nd Test........ (yeah I know low blow!) :-)
    It is (swallow) hard to say, but (gulp)
    the poms bowled better
    (swallow)
    batted better
    (cough)
    and fielded better
    (choke)
    and their heads were in a better place
    than our tattooed rock stars

Cry sob sob sniff cry!
    Cheers Dazza
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not often we get to take the Aussies' strides down in their own backyard.... I'm just gloating, but there's a long way to go yet in this series, there will be a bounceback somewhere down the line. BUT life is good at the moment.

Back to the usual programming......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's alright Dazza. It will be all the more sweeter when they do win. (might be a while though)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DOOFUS View Post
    fit is about where the weight balances, not about KOPS....
    I keep going back to this statement.

So how is saddle set back determined? Sounds like it's pretty much "wherever. feels good here."

And since Farrar's bike was brought up, would it kill someone to put the barplug in straight. This picture bugs the hell out of me:
    Tyler Farrar's 2011 Garmin-Cervelo team bike - VeloNews

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    style
    what a load of rubbish
    saddles should be mid rail ,to give the saddle the right flex and less strain on the rails and post clamp

First, saddle type.
    then determine the correct saddle set back for that rider on that saddle
    then take into account the saddle rail dimensions, they all differ, so that makes a nonsense of style.
    then the seat post type and it's clamp dimensions in relation to the tube axis
    if the frame is a made to measure frame, with a builder or designer using their noggin
    rather than speaking style bullshit
    then the seat tube angle is a product of the above.
    If for example one uses a post that has less set back then another then the seat tube angle could vary by .5 to 1.5 degrees on the drawing board.
    Two frames could be exactly the same but for the seat tube angle and top tube length, but the position is the same
    and the wheels are in the same place, all handles the same
    but one was built for a seat post with set back and then one with none.

i am a buyer and not a seller. but, thank you.
    don c.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought that the reason seatposts come straight or setback, and saddle have rails instead of one fixed point for attachment, is that we're all different.

On a custom bike, it has most likely been discussed with the builder and taken into consideration. That means a slammed back saddle is a style thing. Otherwise, its because that's the way it needs to be.

3 pages of "this is the way it should be?" Start posting your race results with your opinions.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not rookie assed shit. designed for the seat to be slammed all the way back.
    That's cool and all, but for a bike not to have some room for fore/ aft adjustment designed into it wreaks of rookie mistakes. How do I know? because I was that rookie and I made those mistakes....

Signed,

Capt. Scarlet

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's an italian thing. italians always have their seats slammed all the way back and the stems slammed all the way down. belgians, germans, dutch, french- middle of the rails. portland straight post. just style i guess!
    It's an italiian/ bmx / ill fitting, this is how I set my mountain bike up when I was 12 because I thought it looked cool, thing. That was the least of my poor bike's worries, though...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sacha white View Post
    That's cool and all, but for a bike not to have some room for fore/ aft adjustment designed into it wreaks of rookie mistakes. How do I know? because I was that rookie and I made those mistakes....

Signed,

Capt. Scarlet
    yeah, what Captain Scarlet said
    Captain Scarlet.jpg

and one can change saddles
    and that new saddle could hold your pelvis in a different position
    and or have different saddle rail dimensions
    which means your screwed up slammed all the way back saddle might just not allow you to get back enough on your new saddle on a bike with the wrong seat tube angle and post.
    or you just don't bother and just think how cool it looks as you lean the bike against the lamp post at the next coffee shop stop.
    The reason the saddles are all the way back on the post is because they were limited on those frames/posts to how far they could get it back

just ask Bernard Hinault back circa 1978
    crikey this stuff was sorted out by smart people 40 years ago
    Last edited by Dazza; 12-08-2010 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Mystoron interferance
    Cheers Dazza
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by devlin View Post
    That's alright Dazza. It will be all the more sweeter when they do win. (might be a while though)
    Ginger and I will be in Melbourne for the Boxing day test
    so we hope the game will still be a contest
    with the little Urn of Ashes still at stake
    Got to give the Poms a hand
    they are playing good cricket
    Cheers Dazza
    Nick Cave

www.llewellynbikes.com
    The usual Facebook page

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast