Dear Guest, Please register or login. Content don't create itself! Thank you

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's Up With All These Newfangled Razors?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: What's Up With All These Newfangled Razors?

I like to go weeks without shaving because my facial hair grows so slow and I'm very blonde. I have a Mach 3. I take a Norelco beard trimmer, get it short, then finish with a shave. Saves on blades and reduces the irritation of a slightly dull blade pulling hair instead of cutting it. I would prefer a single blade razor that I sharpen because I'm not about disposable items, but I just haven't made the commitment yet.

I've been having good luck with Every Man Jack face scrub and wash. I've tried other brands but this seems to be my favorite. There's no awful odor that I've found with others, like Harry's, and it works fairly well to get rid of blackheads that tend to congregate on my nose for unknown reasons. I wish I could buy it in bulk, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 9tubes View Post
    The guy who cuts my hair said the best shaving cream was any high-quality hair conditioner. He was right.
    A barber once told me that the most important quality a shave cream can have is not necessarily lubrication, but hydration: the most effective products are the ones that hold the most water on your beard throughout the shave. Based on my experiences with hair conditioner -- which excels at both lubrication and hydration, and has proven to be effective for a number of activities where you want those qualities (nudge-nudge wink-wink) -- ^^^that makes perfect sense! I will definitely try it as a shaving cream, thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In a related matter, as a fallout from the COVID situation I now cut my own hair using my now dearly departed long-hair cat's Wahl electric clipper (RIP Abby).

I just set it at super-short and have at it. Behind the ears is the only tricky part. Works well for me, and saves about $30 every time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Ross View Post
    I honestly have not bought a new razor in decades: I'm still using the same Gillette Sensor handle that I bought in 1993. Sometime thereafter (though still in the 1990s) I upgraded to the Sensor Excel blades...and that's what I've been using ever since.

I don't really have any complaints per se. But I've been seeing all these swanky newfangled multi-blade razors showing up in stores and in my newsfeed lately, and I'm starting to wonder whether there's anything to them? I'd like to think that in nearly 30 years maybe technology has improved the simple wet shaving experience...maybe?

So what's the deal? Anyone using the Harry's 5-blade razor, or the Dollar Shave Club 4- or 6-blade razor? Are these all hype, or is there really something to these products that improves upon the experience of shaving with my antiquated Sensor Excel?

Thanks.
    I've been using Harry's for a few years. I started questioning the need for the small herd of blades so, about a month ago, I got a 3-blade razor (Mach-3) and found that it left a lot of whiskers longer than the Harry's; and some whiskers were untouched. The Mach-3 blade spacing is wider than the Harry's; I guess that's the/a reason and the easier cleaning wasn't worth the additional effort required to get decent results but it didn't pull my face as much (if it's not cutting, it's not pulling!).

Fundamentally I think we (our culture) get wed to the "if one is good, more must be better" and I wanted to see if more really were. In this case, and based on only two data points, it looks like it is but I still want to pick up a twin blade unit to see how it compares; it's been ages since I had a Trac II and I don't recall it leaving whiskers untouched. I also had a 5-blade Gillette Fusion in the early 2000s and I recall it shaving well.

Experiencing "ultimate" shaving performance isn't something I've ever given much thought though I do like for a razor to work better than the Mach-3.

I'm curious about how a Trac II, and an old single blade safety razor for that matter, compare to a mega-blade razor like Harry's and the rest.

Harry's plastic handles are slick as glass; mine is the earlier one without dimples. My brother has the aluminum handle (older, without the rubber grippers) and it's much less slippery. I keep meaning to dip my Harry's handle in epoxy and then sprinkle sand on it.

All that said, the Harry's does shave well.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    In a related matter, as a fallout from the COVID situation I now cut my own hair using my now dearly departed long-hair cat's Wahl electric clipper (RIP Abby).

I just set it at super-short and have at it. Behind the ears is the only tricky part. Works well for me, and saves about $30 every time.
    I've been cutting my own hair for nearly 20 years. 18 minutes from light switch on to a new haircut, clippings in the trash, shower, shampoo, dried & dressed, and light switch off; now, that's a record but I can routinely do it in about 20 minutes. I can't get halfway to a barber in 20 minutes and I usually realize that I need a cut late at night; it's extremely convenient and any screw-ups (rare...but there was a recent one) just make for worthwhile laughter. I hate to feel hair on my head so I cut it quite short.

I used to use an inexpensive set of electric clippers but a decade ago switched to an Oster Fast Forward unit. It's fantastic. If you're gonna cut your own hair, or have your SO do it as I originally did, a pro clipper unit is, or certainly was to me, a meaningfully worthwhile change; they won't bog down like the inexpensive ones.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    any screw-ups (rare...but there was a recent one) just make for worthwhile laughter
    And it grows back anyway (well, in most spots) so it isn't as if a mistake lasts forever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The earlier handles that JClay has were slippery but I asked Harry’s about it and they sent me the new handles when they came out at no charge. I’ve not really had any problems with either but the new/current handles are a better design. And mine is orange which is automatically better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    Experiencing "ultimate" shaving performance isn't something I've ever given much thought
    Somewhat germane: A dozen years ago my entire family was on a luxury cruise vacation that Dad generously paid for, and since we were surrounded by such opulent luxury and didn't have to pay for any of it, I decided to splurge for something really off-the-hook: I went to the ship's barber and got their "Ultimate" Shave & a Haircut.

It was not two bits. I think it was well over $100.

My wife insists it's the best haircut I've ever had, but since I generally sport a crewcut it's hard for me to judge. But what I do remember is the shave...both because of how wonderfully close & long-lasting it was, and because of the surprisingly pedestrian off-the-shelf tool the barber used to execute it.

She used one of those Gillette multi-blade razors with the built-in oscillating vibrator, the kind that you can buy in any drugstore (and the kind that every time I see one I think "Why would anyone buy a razor with a built-in oscillating vibrator?"). But the trick -- the thing that made this shave so wonderfully close & long-lasting -- is that she shaved my entire face twice. Start to finish, the full monty, from pre-heat to lather to every square inch shaved from every possible direction...after one complete pass she just repeated the entire process again.

If I had the patience to do that I'd consider it every time I shaved.

But I don't, so I was happy to pay >$100 for the experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you "into shaving" type guys want some perspective on this, all you have to do is grow a beard, at which point shaving will become a lot less important. Yes, you'll have to clean up a bit above and below the beard every now and then (I do it once a week, on Monday morning, although in these mask-wearing days even that isn't a hard requirement), but unless you're a 20-something model doing photo-shoots all week long, or your wife and/or girlfriend is way too demanding, that's all you'll need, and you'll have one less hassle to deal with in your life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Somewhat germane: A dozen years ago my entire family was on a luxury cruise vacation that Dad generously paid for, and since we were surrounded by such opulent luxury and didn't have to pay for any of it, I decided to splurge for something really off-the-hook: I went to the ship's barber and got their "Ultimate" Shave & a Haircut.

My wife insists it's the best haircut I've ever had, but since I generally sport a crewcut it's hard for me to judge. But what I do remember is the shave...both because of how wonderfully close & long-lasting it was, and because of the surprisingly pedestrian off-the-shelf tool the barber used to execute it.

She used one of those Gillette multi-blade razors with the built-in oscillating vibrator, the kind that you can buy in any drugstore (and the kind that every time I see one I think "Why would anyone buy a razor with a built-in oscillating vibrator?"). But the trick -- the thing that made this shave so wonderfully close & long-lasting -- is that she shaved my entire face twice. Start to finish, the full monty, from pre-heat to lather to every square inch shaved from every possible direction...after one complete pass she just repeated the entire process again.

You DON'T shave twice?????
    FWIIW Without question a pro straight razor shave is the soup and nuts. If I was Jack Benny and money rained every afternoon, I'd get a shave in the morning and massage at night. These are things nobody will disagree with.

Last edited by Too Tall; 03-14-2021 at 06:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a voucher years ago for a place that offered a shave and a haircut etc - it wasn't $100 but something like $60. They advertised that they used a brand new Gillette blade for everyone - and that was a really good shave. Decent haircut too - went there for a while until her day off aligned with mine so it wasn't to be.

I've tried the vibrating one - but I'm not sure that that makes any difference, the new blade makes more of a difference.
    It's not the years, honey. It's the mileage.

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harry's also for about 5 years. Very satisfied. I shave pretty much every day and have gotten up to six months out of a single blade - usually three to four months. Medium beard, Pacific Shave cream applied with an Omega boar bristle brush, shave in one direction, re-lather, and shave in the other. Works for me. Previously hacked at my neck in the shower with disposables to save a couple of minutes. This has been a nice, small improvement in quality of life for me.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We've got a whole other thread on this, but since I started shaving with an old fashioned, single blade "safety razor" about 5 years ago, I have touched neither electric nor multi-blade razor, cheap or expensive. Each razor and blade has its own personality (mild/aggressive, etc)and the shave creams/soaps add one more variable/variety to the normal drudgery of shaving--and no way I'd substitute hair conditioner . I am absolutely hooked, and the fact that you can get several razors, blades and soaps (that will last a decade/forever) for the price of a year or two of high-priced cartridges is icing on the cake. Although you certainly can go down the rabbit hole and spend a lot; still beats expensive cartridges because you'll have an heirloom. And yes, unless I'm in a real hurry or have just a minimal beard to knock down, 2 passes with the razor, which is about how much shave cream my brushes hold. The learning curve for a middle of the road, slightly mild, razor is short and not steep. (and some lucky families have awesome razors sitting at the back of a drawer since dad/grandad gave them up in the 70s; you really should ask...--keep it in the family or sell it to an enthusiast who'll appreciate it. I think I love my vintage razors more than my vintage bike. They certainly get more use.
    Last edited by giordana93; 03-17-2021 at 08:10 PM. Reason: add link to thread
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Several years ago, I got fed up with those store bought razors and I bought an inexpensive, but very nice Merkur from this guy,
    https://www.whippeddog.com/
    This is a way better shave and far, far cheaper than the cartridge razors.
    I'd never go back. I've since bought a bare brass Timeless that is even better, but marginally compared to the change from the cartidges.

However, I quit shaving completely last May because of the masks. Why bother ?

I would have had a good job as Santa in December if there were any Santa jobs available. I wear my red wool jersey cycling and people going the other way wave and say "Hi Santa".

My son tells me that if I keep it growing until May, I can call it a "yeard". I'm goin' for it.

Thinking about the Timeless though. Maybe I can cut it off all of a piece.

You guys looking for the cartridges should really think about trying a double edge razor.
    Works way better and costs you a LOT less.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by giordana93 View Post
    I think I love my vintage razors more than my vintage bike. They certainly get more use.
    I think you need to get on your bike more! I shave every day and it only takes 2 minutes......

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by KonaSS View Post
    I think you need to get on your bike more! I shave every day and it only takes 2 minutes......
    that's kinda the point, though. I used to hate shaving. It was a chore that had to be done. I can still shave in 2 minutes, but I almost never do, and don't want to. There's a joke on one of the shaving forums (yes they exist!) about guys being jealous of others with heavy beards who have to/get to shave twice a day. I'm not there, but trust me, those who have seen the light have no intention of ever returning to cartridges and aerosol creams (and not only because within 6 months they have a 20 year supply of blades and soaps!) Rather than something to get over with, a proper shave engages your mind in a different way. It would take me way too long to explain how and why that is a good thing (fellow saloners know I can be long-winded), but suffice it to say that I actually enjoy shaving nowadays. It is a forced break from the day when I get to think of nothing else, feel good about a job well done, and enjoy a refreshing facial with a little menthol pop--or citrus zing, or whatever scents the day's choice brought. I don't like scented candles or perfumes, but a good shave cream or soap is sooo much nicer than foam in a can or hair conditioner (which I'm sure yields a good shave but can't possibly match the richness/aromatics of a brush and cream or soap)

My first razor was a Gillette tech, a basic model that was literally in production for 7 decades (with a few variations of course). Fantastic razor, still cheap, and you can probably find one with a date stamp showing it was produced in the same quarter/year you were born. Mine is a 1952; I later got a Gillette Slim adjustable from my birth year (1964). Love that one; can open it up wide/aggressive for a few days growth or a mild blade, or use a narrow blade gap for a quick/mild shave. Or do both in the same shave--aggressive first pass with the grain followed by a sweeper/against the grain with milder setting.
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

just to add: when we say blades are cheap compared to cartridges, we're talking 100 blades for $7-12. Unless you're Josh or other fans of the ridiculously sharp Feather blades that are 3-4 times the price, a whopping 40 cents a blade. Most won't keep their edge more than a few shaves or a week, but you're never tempted to keep using a dull blade at that price. You can drop serious cash on the razors and brushes, but they are works of art and last decades if not generations. And the cheaper options work arguably as well.
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried my safety razor for the first time this week. Almost lost the right side of my neck. Left side worked well, right side, no bueno. I'm a little worried to give it another go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chad View Post
    I tried my safety razor for the first time this week. Almost lost the right side of my neck. Left side worked well, right side, no bueno. I'm a little worried to give it another go.
    1st, make sure the blade is properly tightened down. In both the "butterfly" (one piece) and 3 piece cap style razors, it is essential to secure the blade firmly because the last bit of torque will usually flex the blade into the proper angle. 2nd, don't start with super sharp blades like a Feather until you have gotten down the technique. Try a mellower blade first. Finally, think of razors as bikes: sometimes a beach cruiser is a better choice than a 15 lb protour ride with a 6 inch saddle to stem drop, especially for beginners. If you bought a nice, but aggressive razor because someone reviewed it as the best, you'll need to get some training wheels first with a more mild razor until you get the hang of it. Personally, I have no interest in super aggressive razors, or bbs shaves.

Well, another finally: be sure you read or watch something about technique. Basically you need to close down the angle of the blade on your neck if you're having issues on that side. It's not hard and will come quickly enough, but you obviously have a razer and blade combo that requires a bit more attention until you get the hang of it. There are plenty so-called mild shavers that will give great results and no cuts with a super sharp blade. Some guys geek out on super aggressive razer and blade in pursuit of the closest possible shave. Not worth it for me. (Like a TT bike!)
    am I the only Marvin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, so I have to tell this story. My brother had an RNA conference in Poland and my Dad having come from there as a refugee after WWII my brother thought it'd be cool to take him so Karen and I were enlisted to come along to have fun with my Dad when my brother was presenting papers and whatnot. We were like "Hell, yeah!" So my Dad, in his 70s at the time, packed his bags for his first overseas trip in like 25 years and off we went. Through the security at JFK and on to the plane to change in Paris. Mind you, this is well after the security got all tightened down airtight.

Or not. We're going through security in Paris and we see my Dad getting pulled aside and a large imposing woman emptying his carry on luggage. We're like "Huh?". We see her hold up his package of spare razor blades and I realize what it is and go "Oh, hell" thinking he's in a world of trouble. After a short exchange she lets him put everything but the spare razors back in the bag and proceed.

We laughed because (1) nobody in JFK's TSA knew what a razor and blades looked like, (2) it was a lady in Paris that did and (3) my Dad said she held up the razor with the one blade in it and winked as she put it back in the bag.
    Tom Ambros

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast