User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 74

Thread: How to repair tubulars: Goes Here

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,158
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How to repair tubulars: Goes Here

    What is the ideal product for patching cuts in the rubber of the tire? I've heard of crazy glue, shoe-goo, and a few other things.
     

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    1,246
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How to repair tubulars: Goes Here

    high thread count fabric glued to the underside of the casing where the cut is...
     

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,158
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How to repair tubulars: Goes Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Cookietruck View Post
    high thread count fabric glued to the underside of the casing where the cut is...
    I do that, but what about sealing the cut from the outside?
     

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    24,259
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How to repair tubulars: Goes Here

    Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
    I do that, but what about sealing the cut from the outside?
    Marine Goo or whatever it's called. Crazy glue works pretty well too.

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    3,158
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How to repair tubulars: Goes Here

     

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Boulder
    Posts
    344
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How to repair tubulars: Goes Here

    Got a few small punctures in the new FMB cross tires today (damn goatheads). Filled with Stan's this evening, which seems to have done the trick. My question is, how long will Stan's sealant last? Will I have to reapply next year before cross season?

    Also, there's a rumor that Stan's will deteriorate a latex inner tube. Anyone experience this?
     

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Seattle area
    Posts
    1,215
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How to repair tubulars: Goes Here

    I think this is the right url, and thanks for the reference: ECLECTIC PRODUCTS Adhesive at West Marine

    Quote Originally Posted by lukasz View Post
     

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Civitavecchia - Italia
    Posts
    6
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How to repair tubulars: Goes Here

    What the needle's size?
    Alhoa
     

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Charlottesville
    Posts
    6,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How to repair tubulars: Goes Here

    Stans' bad for FMB/Dugast - ammonia if i remember correctly.
    Cafelatex is what you want to be using.
    as to the length of "staying" power it'll get you through this season.
    get tire alert on the phone for next season.
    "make the break"

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Tucson
    Posts
    1,169
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How to repair tubulars: Goes Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance Legstrong View Post
    Stans' bad for FMB/Dugast - ammonia if i remember correctly.
    Cafelatex is what you want to be using.
    as to the length of "staying" power it'll get you through this season.
    get tire alert on the phone for next season.
    +1 to Tire Alert, I have used his services for 10+ years.

    For some reason I am thinking that Stan's changed their formula and it no longer contains amonia; can anyone confirm?

    I like Caffe Latex but I def. have more issues with it gumming up the valves but it may have something to do with the dry Az air as well..
     

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale
    Posts
    5,759
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How to repair tubulars: Goes Here

    I thought the ammonia from Stans would only do harm to latex in the LOOOONG term, as in years, not months. Either way, last I heard, it still has ammonia in it.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Charlottesville
    Posts
    6,874
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How to repair tubulars: Goes Here

    Quote Originally Posted by velobran View Post
    I thought the ammonia from Stans would only do harm to latex in the LOOOONG term, as in years, not months. Either way, last I heard, it still has ammonia in it.
    for pimp ass FMB and Dugasts...why would you not want to repair/replace the tube after a season.
    Knowing you have fresh latex is sexy, non?
    "make the break"

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Fort Lauderdale
    Posts
    5,759
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How to repair tubulars: Goes Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Chance Legstrong View Post
    for pimp ass FMB and Dugasts...why would you not want to repair/replace the tube after a season.
    Knowing you have fresh latex is sexy, non?
    Your point is valid. I was more thinking of road use where tires wouldn't last a full season.
    Auk's words to live by:
    Blow up and pin a picture of M. Bartoli on your wall. When you achieve that position, stop. Until then, stretch, ride, stretch, ride, eat less, and ride more.

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Noblesville, Indiana, United States
    Posts
    1,794
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How to repair tubulars: Goes Here

    Quote Originally Posted by drappo View Post
    What the needle's size?
    Alhoa
    You want to find a source for curved needles, the kind surgeons use. Not sure where to get them, I had a stash from a doctor friend. They need to be large enough to get the thread through the eye, otherwise it doesn't matter.
     

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    White Ga 30184
    Posts
    3,606
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How to repair tubulars: Goes Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Ryan View Post
    You want to find a source for curved needles, the kind surgeons use. Not sure where to get them, I had a stash from a doctor friend. They need to be large enough to get the thread through the eye, otherwise it doesn't matter.
    try a industrial/commercial carpet installation repair service/source..
    when i was at indiana u back in the 60's, worked part time end-week for the carpet installer at downtown naptown's l.s. ayres..
    used curved needles with different sized waxed thread to sew lengths of carpet together that we stretched for the different floors..

    ronnie
     

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    359
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How to repair tubulars: Goes Here

    I just completed my first retube job. I took a Conti sprinter , opened the casing next to the valve core, cut the tube, attached some cotton rope , pulled the tub through the casing pulling the rope around. I then took a new Latex tube , cut it near the valve, attached the rope , and pulled it back through the casing. I rolled back the tube on itself glued up the end and inserted the unrolled end into the rolled end, unrolled the tube over itself. I then sewed it back up. Cost to salvage a near brand new Sprinter $13.00.
     

  17. #37
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    24,259
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How to repair tubulars: Goes Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I just completed my first retube job. I took a Conti sprinter , opened the casing next to the valve core, cut the tube, attached some cotton rope , pulled the tub through the casing pulling the rope around. I then took a new Latex tube , cut it near the valve, attached the rope , and pulled it back through the casing. I rolled back the tube on itself glued up the end and inserted the unrolled end into the rolled end, unrolled the tube over itself. I then sewed it back up. Cost to salvage a near brand new Sprinter $13.00.
    D@mn fine report sir. Clever to leave the old valve in place.

  18. #38
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    359
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How to repair tubulars: Goes Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    D@mn fine report sir. Clever to leave the old valve in place.
    I am not sure we are understanding each other. My old valve was leaking at the base, I replaced the whole butyl tube with a whole new latex tube. Tubular Tire Repair by Jobst Brandt JB describes the process here.
     

  19. #39
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    24,259
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How to repair tubulars: Goes Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I am not sure we are understanding each other. My old valve was leaking at the base, I replaced the whole butyl tube with a whole new latex tube. Tubular Tire Repair by Jobst Brandt JB describes the process here.
    Ahh understood. Tying the valve securely in place was always a tough proposition for me which I tend to avoid sometimes at the cost of a decent training tire.

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    12,863
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How to repair tubulars: Goes Here

    Quote Originally Posted by Loki View Post
    I am not sure we are understanding each other. My old valve was leaking at the base, I replaced the whole butyl tube with a whole new latex tube. Tubular Tire Repair by Jobst Brandt JB describes the process here.
    I'm curious how it will ride with a new latex tube. Continental tires are not usually known for their fine ride quality but that will probably help. They're tough as nails usually though. I wish the Competition were available with latex tubes.

    Anyway, I've only successfully repaired one tubular but I'm glad I did. I'd feel more confident the second time around and I bet I got another 1000 miles on that tire before it finally died a natural death at an advanced state of wear.
    La Cheeserie!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •