User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 159

Thread: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

    Quote Originally Posted by MasterOMayhem View Post
    these are aluminum right?
    Yes, Nemesis'.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    15,227
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

    Quote Originally Posted by Britishbane View Post
    I've not found anything that works on getting the sidewalls clean of the tape residue. With practice it does get better looking.
    These work reasonably well, with a little patience. Won't harm the rim or tire and don't use solvents. You can find them in bags of 10 or more.

    label peeler | label remover | Scotty Peeler Company

    Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    Ok, looking for more advice.

    One part of my tire is coming un glued. Maybe 6 inches long, but only the left side. Its full of dirt. This had happened to one section ealier too, I hadnt done belgian tape on this set, mostly because there was still good tape and glue on the rims from the last tires. Now I'll always do it I guess, but does that mean I should remove the old tape and glue? I had cleaned them bare when I started on them, so they've only had mastic one on them, although I can tell they are heavy from all the glue I've applied. Can I just just a wire brush on a drill and just remove some/even them out? then start the method in this thread from scratch. I have a new tire on the way.

    Frustrating sunday on wheels, found this on the wheels with the wheelset with MXP's, so I didnt use them. Raced the newer wheels with PDX's, and destroyed a major tom rim on a root.
    A corrected twist in the tire will pull up a section. To correct a twist, lift and turn rather than pushing/pulling the tire into position against the adhesive force of the glue. If you pull/push, tire may lift in the area of the corrected twist.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    806
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

    Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    Yes, Nemesis'.
    Heat gun. If you are looking for sparkly clean brand-new looking rims, heat gun method is not for you. But it is so fast and easy to get rid of 95% of the glue/tape that is there. If there's a lot of glue built up, you can get all the nasty dirty stuff and residual tape off w/ heat gun and you'll just be left with thin bits of virgin glue in spots that you can go right over with new.

    I heat gun about a 4-5 inch section for 15-20s w/ heat gun on low. Use an old butter knife to clean the heated glue off the rim, then transfer onto a rag. Throw the rag away when done. You can do a wheel in about 15 minutes or so.

    I've never used the wire brush method but I can't imagine it would be easier than the heat gun.
     

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    114
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

    Quote Originally Posted by BSUdude View Post
    Heat gun. If you are looking for sparkly clean brand-new looking rims, heat gun method is not for you. But it is so fast and easy to get rid of 95% of the glue/tape that is there. If there's a lot of glue built up, you can get all the nasty dirty stuff and residual tape off w/ heat gun and you'll just be left with thin bits of virgin glue in spots that you can go right over with new.

    I heat gun about a 4-5 inch section for 15-20s w/ heat gun on low. Use an old butter knife to clean the heated glue off the rim, then transfer onto a rag. Throw the rag away when done. You can do a wheel in about 15 minutes or so.

    I've never used the wire brush method but I can't imagine it would be easier than the heat gun.
    just jumped on this method this season. i picked up a $20 heat gun from amazon and was amazed how easy it is. I usually work in sections b/w the spokes.

    a good buddy of mine ended up on the phone with stu thorne regarding a product order and he dropped that tip on him. heat gun FTW.
     

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

    I ended up using the brush on a drill. It worked really well, everything was pretty much evened out in 30min. I didnt go for a perfectly clean rim, since it was ll my glue on it, I wasnt worried. Once the circular brush really gunks up it starts to work real well. It started off 1/4" wide, full of glue it was the same width the rim. It basically is the same thing as a heat gun, because the wire never really hits the rim, and the heat through friction is what causes it to gum up and come off, sticking to the other brush.

    https://instagram.com/p/-E3QERniDr

    This saved me hours over the acetone and hairdryer method. Haven't tried a true heat gun before, maybe next time.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

  6. #106
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    24,761
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

    If you go at them with a wire brush/drill it will make heat and you'll have quite a mess.

    However you go the dirt / contamination preventing a glue to rim bond has to be removed. A hair dryer and plastic scraper will do the deed. Be patient, wear gloves.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bucks, PA
    Posts
    2,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

    Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    I ended up using the brush on a drill. It worked really well, everything was pretty much evened out in 30min. I didnt go for a perfectly clean rim, since it was ll my glue on it, I wasnt worried. Once the circular brush really gunks up it starts to work real well. It started off 1/4" wide, full of glue it was the same width the rim. It basically is the same thing as a heat gun, because the wire never really hits the rim, and the heat through friction is what causes it to gum up and come off, sticking to the other brush.

    Instagram

    This saved me hours over the acetone and hairdryer method. Haven't tried a true heat gun before, maybe next time.
    This answers my first question.

    Now I need to know what to do with the tape residue on my tire's base tape. I'm assuming I dont want to just lay another layer of mastik on top, or do I?
     

  8. #108
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    24,761
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

    If the surface is clean and solid than put glue on it! Seriously. It is my experience that what the tape leaves behind is stuck onto your basetape VERY strongly. Use that.

    FWIIW worth it to wipe down all surfaces with a non-residue cleaner. It looks like there is some dirt?

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bucks, PA
    Posts
    2,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    If the surface is clean and solid than put glue on it! Seriously. It is my experience that what the tape leaves behind is stuck onto your basetape VERY strongly. Use that.

    FWIIW worth it to wipe down all surfaces with a non-residue cleaner. It looks like there is some dirt?
    Cool. I'll knock off the high spots from the spoke holes and give her a go.

    Re: dirt. Yup, a little on the base tape that was wider than the rim. The parts contacting the rim were spotless. I'm very pleased with how well it all worked out - Zank for CX President.
     

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

    New question, just got a used wheelset that had almost new tires on it, they are in great shape, the seller warned my that the glue job wasnt perfectly straight. The fact that the wheelset came with the tires was what made the deal worth it. The tires have a pretty serious lean if you ask me, both front and rear, 100% consistent. Judging by the base tape, they are 3-5 mm off center, all around.

    Otherwise they are well glued, I dont really want to take them off and straighten them, what would you guys call acceptable? The way I see it, the tread will make pretty even contact with the ground when compressed anyways, but I just wanted to ask.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Sutton, MA USA
    Posts
    5,013
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

    Can you post a picture?
    Mike Zanconato
    Web
    | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook | Flickr | Tumblr

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bucks, PA
    Posts
    2,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

    Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    New question, just got a used wheelset that had almost new tires on it, they are in great shape, the seller warned my that the glue job wasnt perfectly straight. The fact that the wheelset came with the tires was what made the deal worth it. The tires have a pretty serious lean if you ask me, both front and rear, 100% consistent. Judging by the base tape, they are 3-5 mm off center, all around.

    Otherwise they are well glued, I dont really want to take them off and straighten them, what would you guys call acceptable? The way I see it, the tread will make pretty even contact with the ground when compressed anyways, but I just wanted to ask.
    I glued a tire a couple years ago and the power went out while in the middle of getting it on. I was in the basement and had to do it blindly. Not surprisingly I didn't end up straight. It was VERY crocked. But as they were CX tires I had lots of room to get basetape adherence on the rim. As long as that's what you're working with I wouldn't sweat it. Mine lasted two years.

    That being said, I'd be hesitant to trust a used tire glue job.
     

  13. #113
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    24,761
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

    S. What you describe sounds like what happens when the tire is over inflated off the rim prior to installation. The innertube will twist. The "lean" you describe is unsightly but will not affect performance.

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Bucks, PA
    Posts
    2,518
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    S. What you describe sounds like what happens when the tire is over inflated off the rim prior to installation. The innertube will twist. The "lean" you describe is unsightly but will not affect performance.
    s_curran see this also: http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...tml#post626518

    I'm assuming we're talking cx tire?
     

  15. #115
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

    Thanks for all the responses. Tire is a Clement MXP, so its not the inner tube issue (which I think I actually asked about before on here). I too am hesitant about used glue jobs, but they have been used very little, used belgian tape, and the same metthod I use. Also, he is a tall dude like myself, and these are for my 140 lb fiance.

    I am not as worried about the tire not staying put, they are wider rims, and I've had more base tape showing on nemesis' before, but more to do with the general handling.

    The first photo is basically straight from the top, so you can see how much more of the left side lugs are vissible as opposed to the right. The side shots are just to compare how much of the base tape is exposed. It really doesnt look that bad, but it is strange to me.
    IMG_2498.jpg IMG_2499.jpg IMG_2501.jpg

    Edit: sorry, I dont know why all the photos rotated on here.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

  16. #116
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3,304
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

    Quote Originally Posted by s_curran View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. Tire is a Clement MXP, so its not the inner tube issue (which I think I actually asked about before on here). I too am hesitant about used glue jobs, but they have been used very little, used belgian tape, and the same metthod I use. Also, he is a tall dude like myself, and these are for my 140 lb fiance.

    I am not as worried about the tire not staying put, they are wider rims, and I've had more base tape showing on nemesis' before, but more to do with the general handling.

    The first photo is basically straight from the top, so you can see how much more of the left side lugs are vissible as opposed to the right. The side shots are just to compare how much of the base tape is exposed. It really doesnt look that bad, but it is strange to me.
    IMG_2498.jpg IMG_2499.jpg IMG_2501.jpg

    Edit: sorry, I dont know why all the photos rotated on here.
    You buy those from Sandy? I wouldn't worry too much about being crooked. With Clement tubulars, you'll probably flat before the glue job fails ;)
     

  17. #117
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    806
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

    I try to get CX tires as straight as possible when I mount, but I am not a pro gluer. However, as long as the tread wobble or lean is not too gnarly, I don't fret too much if the tire is not cooperating. If you're running the tire at race pressure, a majority of the width of the tread is going to be contacting the ground, since the rider weight is significantly deforming/flattening the tire at the contact point (much more than road tires). So in my mind a few mms is not a deal breaker.

    Maybe try riding the thing at race pressure and do some cornering and see if you feel any impact when you lean 1 way vs the other way on some hard turns and off cambers where the side knobs come into play.

    Now if the tire had a hop/low point/high point issue that is another story...
     

  18. #118
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    1,502
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

    Quote Originally Posted by roseyscot View Post
    You buy those from Sandy? I wouldn't worry too much about being crooked. With Clement tubulars, you'll probably flat before the glue job fails ;)
    Ha, your unfortunately probably right. I always thought they would last longer than a tubular with a true tube, but... Actually what do you find to be the longest lasting? I like the MXP/PDX treads, therefore thinking about giving the baby limus a shot.

    I would have bought Sandy's, but these are disc. Once I get my disc bike built up, I'll go hammer on them, if they feel ok to me, they should be fine for Brooke, who weighs 60 lbs less.

    The strangest thing was, the tires are straight as can be, no hops, just a lean. I can imagine it happening though, Im sure he just lined up one side, and didn't consider the other side. Wasnt looking for perfect, I jsut have different issues when I glue, ha.

    Thanks
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

  19. #119
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Indiana, USA
    Posts
    806
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

    Like I said I am not a pro glue-er and have never worked with Clements...but I'm a bit surprised to see these came out this way. Being that they are factory manufactured (straight and true) and lack a tube (nothing to get twisted up like TT suggests), I wonder how he got the lean when glueing? Maybe an over inflated tire when mounting or not quite stretched enough would result in a mounting that was uniformly off center...
     

  20. #120
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    24,761
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: How To: Gluing CX Tubulars / Not tonight honey, I've got a Mastik 1 headache

    Never glue tires when you are drunk or mad at the world.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •