User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38

Thread: campy down tube shifters

  1. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    9
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: campy down tube shifters

    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone know where to find the appropriate stops described in the steps above?
     

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,866
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: campy down tube shifters

    Quote Originally Posted by pavel View Post
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone know where to find the appropriate stops described in the steps above?
    Buy these

    VELOCE 8sp down tube braze on shifters #SL-11SVLCG 1995-97

    At around 50 pounds UK from here -

    Campyoldy - Campagnolo parts and accessories for 'vintage' cycles | Stock File


    And then order and insert the 10sp washer to convert them from 8 to 10sp. The washer can be obtained from Marinoni in Canada or Branford Bike in the US.

    The stops are included, you don't have to clean off the glue from rubber lever covers.
     

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: campy down tube shifters

    Hi, i'd also like to take a stab at this. i have a set of bar end 10 speed so i would rather not buy and upgrade the Veloce. I'm working on a 98 Trek 2300 and looking for the dog ear washer. anybody know where to get them.
    Also, there are several campy downtube shifters on ebay, vinatge record, nuovo record and triomphe that have the washers. anybody know which one will work?
    thanks
     

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Posts
    264
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: campy down tube shifters

    Quote Originally Posted by fixednwinter View Post
    Buy these

    VELOCE 8sp down tube braze on shifters #SL-11SVLCG 1995-97

    At around 50 pounds UK from here -

    Campyoldy - Campagnolo parts and accessories for 'vintage' cycles | Stock File


    And then order and insert the 10sp washer to convert them from 8 to 10sp. The washer can be obtained from Marinoni in Canada or Branford Bike in the US.

    The stops are included, you don't have to clean off the glue from rubber lever covers.
    I did get the veloce DT shifters 8 speed and changed the index ring for a SL-RE319. I works fine on the stand but on the road most of the time the rear derailleur is shifing to the next higher gear all by itself. Could it be the veloce infinite rear derailleur?

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Carrollton TX
    Posts
    385
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: campy down tube shifters

    Thanks for that, Chooey!
     

  6. #26
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    no shore, mass
    Posts
    14,712
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: campy down tube shifters

    flashback to crackpot city.
     

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    05403
    Posts
    820
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: campy down tube shifters

    Quote Originally Posted by SteveP View Post
    flashback to crackpot city.
    Subcommandante Pucci, I still use 9 speed D/A shifters.

    -VT crackpot
    Start slow, then taper off.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,004
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: campy down tube shifters

    Quote Originally Posted by jamesand View Post
    Subcommandante Pucci, I still use 9 speed D/A shifters.

    -VT crackpot
    Indeed.
    No question my friction downtube shifters put me at a disadvantage riding next to Mr. Sand with that cool bling technology.

    -NH crackpot
     

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Hartford, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    215
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: campy down tube shifters

    Nice thread--thinking of doing this on a new to me Riv Custom. Besides brute force, is there a trick to get the rubber grips off? Can they be put back on again if you decide to go back to bar cons?
     

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Posts
    2,419
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: campy down tube shifters

    Quote Originally Posted by CallMeJay View Post
    Besides brute force, is there a trick to get the rubber grips off? Can they be put back on again if you decide to go back to bar cons?
    No trick - just pull them off. There will be some glue on the shifter that you'll have to clean off.

    Putting them back on should be as simple as a bit of glue.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    West Hartford, Connecticut, United States
    Posts
    215
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: campy down tube shifters

    A source for the needed washer would be appreciated, too. Thanks.
     

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    15,253
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: campy down tube shifters

    I haven't read the whole thread, but I see stop plates/washers mentioned. Check with Ochsner. Best to call and order. Their e-commerce connections can be finicky.

    Ochsner International - Product Detail
    Jorn Ake
    poet

    Flickr
    Books

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Willy, VIC
    Posts
    1,650
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: campy down tube shifters

    If you can't find the stop plates, make them. It's about a ten minute job with a jigsaw and a file.
     

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: campy down tube shifters

    Hi I have to choose the correct stop plate to fit Campy bar end shifters, to mount on down tube ,but they are some diferents model , witch is the one ?
    thank,s
     

  15. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    W Mass
    Posts
    10,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: campy down tube shifters

    Quote Originally Posted by charolais View Post
    Hi I have to choose the correct stop plate to fit Campy bar end shifters, to mount on down tube ,but they are some diferents model , witch is the one ?
    thank,s
    How are your Internet forum search skills? There's someone in the Paceline classifieds who had these made, they're stainless steel and very nice. I'm willing to bet that not everybody who bought them used them.

    -- MA crackpot who likes his 9v so much he put 10v on a new bike. And that one doesn't ghost shift the front because it's PegoRichie.
    Tee Aitch

    Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Rye, Australia
    Posts
    182
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: campy down tube shifters

    I have two bikes with 9 speed down tube shifters and one with 10 speed...I would be curious if Simplex retrofriction would work with Campagnolo 10 speed cassettes?
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster." - Greg Lemond

    "I enjoy climbing...I enjoy seeing people disappear behind me." - Robert Millar

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    W Mass
    Posts
    10,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: campy down tube shifters

    Quote Originally Posted by Sascha Roszak View Post
    I have two bikes with 9 speed down tube shifters and one with 10 speed...I would be curious if Simplex retrofriction would work with Campagnolo 10 speed cassettes?
    Only if you're OK with the right shifter pointing at the bottom bracket when you're in the largest cog. The barrel is so small it needs a 180-degree swing to get all the cable pull you need.



    PS That's a picture of my shrink.
    Tee Aitch

    Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

  18. #38
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lanesborough, MA
    Posts
    2,102
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: campy down tube shifters

    Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Only if you're OK with the right shifter pointing at the bottom bracket when you're in the largest cog. The barrel is so small it needs a 180-degree swing to get all the cable pull you need.
    It helps to put a little heat-shrink tubing on the barrel end of the shift cable. Makes it nicer with slant parallellogram derailleurs too.

    P.S. That's one schwanky saddlebag.
     

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •