Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324

Thread: The Nomadic Life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Nomadic Life

NJ memories. When I was going to NPTU in Ballston Spa, NY, my roommate was from Jackson, so when we would get our four-off (rotating shifts), we would head south. The trips changed my impression of NJ.

On my to-do list, this week is making reservations at Yellowstone for the Fishing Bridge RV park. We want to have a whole week in 2023. If folks haven't visited Yellowstone with a travel trailer, the park has full hookups with excellent water. RV's have to be hard side because of bears. I plan on taking my gravel bike. Until you've been surrounded by a herd of buffalo while riding, you haven't lived.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've heard very good things about that camp site Big man. Have a blast.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pine Barrens, huh? Look out for that crazy Russian guy....(sorry for the Sopranos reference)

Regarding Yellowstone, that looks like a great campground, bigbill. When we were in the Yellowstone area in '16, we found a really nice campground in Livingston called Yellowstone's Edge, north of the Gardiner entrance, right on the Yellowstone River. Great location and even did a nice gravel ride in that area.

C360_2016-09-20-13-21-01-736_x by Dan Murphy, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

315977511_5984507738234063_8621706613817012244_n.jpg

Real world testing
    78K miles w/ ~ 1/4th pure gnarly off-road (15 Baja trips), 3rd set of tires but almost 40K on a set of 10-ply Goodrich Baja Champions but just had to replace one as the worn out ball joints caused it to wear badly before the ball joints were replaced, passenger window wouldn't roll down, had it overhauled, camper shell hatch won't latch and one knob doesn't want to turn, front brake had to be worked on as a small part cracked, running board bent from a huge rock strike, bumper dented big from a boulder, dents from desert foliage all over and huge amounts of "Arizona Pinstripe" (white is good for this) had to re-build the awning with snaps & better tie-downs, wore out two stoves, U-joints overhauled.........never been stuck but defiantly had some flats, you want a real-sized spare for sure.
    I bet there are some other things but she's a fleet truck so overbuilt with a towing package we don't use but it beefed it up from the get-go and 8' bed/single cab is the best way to maximize room while keeping the wheelbase manageable to make switchbacks on jeep roads.

Blanca the truck gets it done - a light rig is key to not getting stuck in Baja, they sink !!!

Also, A+ on the Thule "roll model" kayak rack

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Garro's post was timely. We're heading to Scottsdale in the morning for an equestrian event. I'm pulling the travel trailer, and my wife is towing the gooseneck horse trailer with either two or three horses (big trailer). I'm not doing horse events other than supporting my wife, so I'm taking bikes since we'll be there until Sunday. West World is located near many trails and excellent roads with marked bike lanes.

Sorry for the crappy picture, but everything ferrous in the back of my truck is "Hecho en Flagstaff" fillet brazed steel. Yes, the bike rack is fillet-brazed 4130 steel.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    Garro's post was timely. We're heading to Scottsdale in the morning for an equestrian event. I'm pulling the travel trailer, and my wife is towing the gooseneck horse trailer with either two or three horses (big trailer). I'm not doing horse events other than supporting my wife, so I'm taking bikes since we'll be there until Sunday. West World is located near many trails and excellent roads with marked bike lanes.

Sorry for the crappy picture, but everything ferrous in the back of my truck is "Hecho en Flagstaff" fillet brazed steel. Yes, the bike rack is fillet-brazed 4130 steel.
    Our old roof rack from the Subaru !
    Perfect !

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com