Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122

Thread: The Nomadic Life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: The Nomadic Life

Diesel tow vehicle here at the campground...

"pulls like a champ"

Castaways 2022 September 8-15th by SPP™ SlowPokePete, on Flickr

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Big man, the standard acceptable practice for sanitizing the drinking water system in trailers is to use Clorox as you say. You will not need much to do the deed. I use about 1/2 cup in a full tank and run all the spigots / showers etc. than flush a couple times and good.

Be sure to close the bypass valve on your water heater prior to running bleach thru the system. Plain old clorox is what you want avoiding any that have additional "stuff".

I agree with this process: https://blog.campingworld.com/rv-bas...-simple-steps/

FWIIW Keeping your fresh water tank full is a good call during periods of non-use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least where I live the cost of diesel fuel is $1.69 a gallon higher than gasoline, and that doesn't even include the cost of DEF. That price gouging is another reason not to buy diesel. Not to mention the much higher cost to maintain a diesel rig, and higher repairs than gasoline trucks.

And Electric trucks is a joke, when towing the range on the best electric truck is only 75 to 125 miles before needing to recharge it. How long is that going to take you to go camping 1,000 miles from home while the kids are all screaming: "are we there yet? are we there yet?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by froze View Post
    At least where I live the cost of diesel fuel is $1.69 a gallon higher than gasoline, and that doesn't even include the cost of DEF. That price gouging is another reason not to buy diesel. Not to mention the much higher cost to maintain a diesel rig, and higher repairs than gasoline trucks.

And Electric trucks is a joke, when towing the range on the best electric truck is only 75 to 125 miles before needing to recharge it. How long is that going to take you to go camping 1,000 miles from home while the kids are all screaming: "are we there yet? are we there yet?"
    It's about a dollar higher here. I use the fuel buddy app when we travel. Regarding DEF, it is about $12 for a 2.5-gallon box. Normal driving without a trailer, I use about a gallon of DEF for every thousand miles. The use goes up when you're towing. Other than the occasional hassle of filling the DEF tank, mine is 7.5 gallons; it's not a cost thing. Most larger travel stops have DEF pumps next to the diesel pumps. Diesel oil changes cost more; I usually pay around $160 for Rotella every 7500 miles. Diesel tow better, more horsepower and torque. Engine braking, especially with a modern diesel with a ten speed, makes descending steep grades less stressful.

My truck had a catastrophic fuel pump failure requiring replacement of the entire fuel system. Ford is performing the repairs under warranty. The motor has a 100K mile warranty. Diesels cost more and I wouldn't have one if I wasn't towing a 33' trailer. I looked at a GMC 1500 with the 6.2L V8, but the max towing package changes the rear end gears and beefs up the rear suspension. Without a trailer, you'd be lucky to see 15 mpg in that truck. My Powerstroke F250 gets 21 mpg without a trailer. About 13mpg with.
    Weight Doper