User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22

Thread: If you really want to cruise the highways and byways of North America...

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,007
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default If you really want to cruise the highways and byways of North America...

    1989 MCI 96A3 Bus conversion RV for sale (not by me) on ADV Forum for $8k

    For Sale or Trade - 1989 MCI 96A3 Bus conversion | Adventure Rider

    Some specs:
    45'
    Pretty friggin cool
    6v92 Detroit Diesel
    New oil and filters
    2 new start batteries
    5 speed manual trans
    550k miles
    Plumbing is in
    Electrical is mostly done
    Nice wood interior is mostly complete
    Insulated
    2 5200w generators (gas)
    2 rooftop AC units which can be upgraded with heat.
    Brakes are good

    Needs:
    Some interior trim work
    A backsplash for the counter
    Stain the cabinets
    Finish the wayback (I was gonna put in bunks)
    Needs a converter for the 12v system
    Tires are fair (one is new)
    Needs a little front end work (can wobble above 65mph but not always)


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,088
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: If you really want to cruise the highways and byways of North America...

    oh my.

    yes, yes, yes.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    24,957
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: If you really want to cruise the highways and byways of North America...

    That thing will run forever. Tires are something like $600 each but hey.....

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,096
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: If you really want to cruise the highways and byways of North America...

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    That thing will run forever. Tires are something like $600 each but hey.....
    Yeah but you know a Guy who might know a Guy, just sayin. ;>)
    Frank Beshears

    The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,007
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: If you really want to cruise the highways and byways of North America...

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    That thing will run forever.
    Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin':


  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    24,957
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: If you really want to cruise the highways and byways of North America...

    Quote Originally Posted by rydesteel View Post
    Yeah but you know a Guy who might know a Guy, just sayin. ;>)
    You do infact rule.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    2,088
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: If you really want to cruise the highways and byways of North America...

    my youngest son is 18 months right now and in the phase where he is absolutely fascinated, enthralled, infatuated with big trucks. he actually waits for the garbage truck in the morning to scream in delight as it steams by the house.

    it would almost be worth it to buy this just to see the contrast of facial expressions if i showed up with this at the house. son = delight. wife = disgust.

    haha

    someone please buy this and live the dream.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lanesborough, MA
    Posts
    2,315
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: If you really want to cruise the highways and byways of North America...

    I do want to buy an RV and drive it around when I reach a certain age, and I think of myself as being able to rise to a challenge, but the prospect of trying to navigate that thing around the places I want to go, particularly parking it, is pretty intimidating. I might be more of a Class C kind of guy.

    Narrator: He was a short bus kind of guy.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,007
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: If you really want to cruise the highways and byways of North America...

    Quote Originally Posted by lumpy View Post
    but the prospect of trying to navigate that thing around the places I want to go, particularly parking it, is pretty intimidating
    I'm not in the market for something like this, but it's fun to think about having the "freedom" to cruise around for a few months. Nevertheless, I thought the same thing as you - that is a beast, and you really can't take it anywhere that most here would consider "fun exploring." When it comes to driving, one can become accustomed to handling big stuff, say, going from a Mini to a Chevy Tahoe, but 45' long is 45' long, and no joke in tight quarters. If all you're going to do is go up and down the highway, stopping at state-maintained rest stops and TA gas stations it's doable, but anything more than that would require actual skill.

    I think if I were seriously thinking of buying something like this I'd take a CDL class first (assuming the DMV doesn't already require you to do that in the first place).

    CDL-A Professional Truck Driving

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,096
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: If you really want to cruise the highways and byways of North America...

    A lot of the Big Class A's have a steerable tag axle, makes turning much easier and helps with tire wear. When I sold RV's you didn't need a CDL to drive them, most of the customers buying a 45 footer had traded up over years of driving progressively larger RV's.
    Frank Beshears

    The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,007
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: If you really want to cruise the highways and byways of North America...

    Bumping this because I've found another dream combo for you guys.

    If you're a member, the truck (F-450) and shell are for sale on the ADV forum:

    https://advrider.com/f/threads/custo...5k-bo.1466741/

    https://blackdogcw.smugmug.com/Custo...hell-For-Sale/


  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    24,957
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: If you really want to cruise the highways and byways of North America...

    Both the Bus and that Ferd are nuts in a good way. How do you find these things????

    FWIIW and for the record. When the day comes that I can no longer hitch our Airstream to the pick-em-up truck I intend to purchase Willy Nelson's tour bus and a few pounds of Acapulco Gold....for my glaucoma of course.

    What I love/hate about these fantasy rigs which pop up for sale now and than are their sheer over the top indulgence. Appreciate that.

    Folks, rent to own. Try it on for size first. Don't use your huge brain to solve problems which do not exist. Geeze...now back to building the world's greatest nitrogen powered potato launcher. Hmmmf.
    Last edited by Too Tall; 1 Week Ago at 08:20 AM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,007
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: If you really want to cruise the highways and byways of North America...

    Not to be too serious, but I bet that some folks in some parts of CA, OR, and WA who want to continue living there, but don't want to take the risk and mental strain of this sort of fire season again, are going to think about going the RV only, no house route. At least that way you can pull up stakes much more easily if things get dicey, which it now looks like they might be doing on a more regular basis.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    DC
    Posts
    24,957
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: If you really want to cruise the highways and byways of North America...

    Quote Originally Posted by Mabouya View Post
    Not to be too serious, but I bet that some folks in some parts of CA, OR, and WA who want to continue living there, but don't want to take the risk and mental strain of this sort of fire season again, are going to think about going the RV only, no house route. At least that way you can pull up stakes much more easily if things get dicey, which it now looks like they might be doing on a more regular basis.
    This gets deeper into the be-anywhere-culture than you thought?

    A bunch of the workforce no longer is required to be "someplace". Suppose that place is now those far out ex-burbs with a nice patch of meadow and a goat? Not too far fetch yo. Rural America just got popular is my prediction.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Kingman, AZ
    Posts
    4,436
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: If you really want to cruise the highways and byways of North America...

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    This gets deeper into the be-anywhere-culture than you thought?

    A bunch of the workforce no longer is required to be "someplace". Suppose that place is now those far out ex-burbs with a nice patch of meadow and a goat? Not too far fetch yo. Rural America just got popular is my prediction.
    I just bought a house in NW Arizona with RV parking with hookups. I finish grad school in February and would like to be a distance learning instructor, so mobile is good, but also having a home base is good too.
    Weight Doper

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    My own private Idaho
    Posts
    1,011
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: If you really want to cruise the highways and byways of North America...

    https://advrider.com/f/threads/1989-...rsion.1423371/

    The bike to keep inside will cost more than the bus....................
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: If you really want to cruise the highways and byways of North America...

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    This gets deeper into the be-anywhere-culture than you thought?

    A bunch of the workforce no longer is required to be "someplace". Suppose that place is now those far out ex-burbs with a nice patch of meadow and a goat? Not too far fetch yo. Rural America just got popular is my prediction.
    My wife and I have been discussing this seriously lately. Where does one go to find more information on what it takes to get a quality RV with enough space to set up a work-from-the-road office, live full-time, and store a bike or two? We are moving into a rental home in Central OR shortly and from there, who knows - the plan had been to buy a house but prices have gone so crazy that is seeming like less and less of a good move, plus there is the issue of spending a month or more a year trapped indoors by environmental hazards. We are used to living in a small space but want a clean/healthy indoors environment and a functional enough kitchen to continue to cook the majority of our meals. And if our elderly Maine Coone continues to be with us in this life, we'll need room for him to do his business as well. Much of what's here that I've read so far is more oriented to those doing camping trips or being on vacation full time, vs. working and living full time on the road for a couple years.
    Dan in Oregon

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI USA
    Posts
    503
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: If you really want to cruise the highways and byways of North America...

    Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    This gets deeper into the be-anywhere-culture than you thought?

    A bunch of the workforce no longer is required to be "someplace". Suppose that place is now those far out ex-burbs with a nice patch of meadow and a goat? Not too far fetch yo. Rural America just got popular is my prediction.
    My wife and I have talked about this a bit as we are on the verge of empty nesting with only one senior in high school still under our roof. Among the many challenges is the sadness of how poor broadband internet access is once you get out of the cities.

    https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/29/us/ru...rnd/index.html

    Certainly there are exceptions to the examples highlighted in the news story, but I know the rural Midwest near where I live can be sh*t for 4G Cellular much less broadband internet once you get off the highways and further away from a 25,000+ town. Another thing to add to the list I guess.....
    My real name is Hemanth and among other things, I like bikes

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,096
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: If you really want to cruise the highways and byways of North America...

    Quote Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
    My wife and I have been discussing this seriously lately. Where does one go to find more information on what it takes to get a quality RV with enough space to set up a work-from-the-road office, live full-time, and store a bike or two? We are moving into a rental home in Central OR shortly and from there, who knows - the plan had been to buy a house but prices have gone so crazy that is seeming like less and less of a good move, plus there is the issue of spending a month or more a year trapped indoors by environmental hazards. We are used to living in a small space but want a clean/healthy indoors environment and a functional enough kitchen to continue to cook the majority of our meals. And if our elderly Maine Coone continues to be with us in this life, we'll need room for him to do his business as well. Much of what's here that I've read so far is more oriented to those doing camping trips or being on vacation full time, vs. working and living full time on the road for a couple years.
    Dan I did this for a living for a bit and still have friends in the Biz. If I can help let me know. Diesel Pusher will have the most bang for the buck and will be larger than Gas as will the price tag. It's a lifestyle change for sure but if you have a home base then you can keep some items there. Certain States will also let you declare residency with a PO Box which helps with Taxes and such.
    Frank Beshears

    The gentlest thing in the world
    overcomes the hardest thing in the world.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    456
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: If you really want to cruise the highways and byways of North America...

    Quote Originally Posted by rydesteel View Post
    Dan I did this for a living for a bit and still have friends in the Biz. If I can help let me know. Diesel Pusher will have the most bang for the buck and will be larger than Gas as will the price tag. It's a lifestyle change for sure but if you have a home base then you can keep some items there. Certain States will also let you declare residency with a PO Box which helps with Taxes and such.
    Thanks Frank. I'll bookmark this for down the road.. Seems I have some baseline research to do first.
    Dan in Oregon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The only McLaren F1 Tech in North America
    By false_aesthetic in forum The OT
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-24-2017, 11:21 PM
  2. Steel, made in north america, cheap. Pick 3.
    By theboucher in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-02-2015, 05:22 PM
  3. Replies: 29
    Last Post: 01-11-2015, 01:19 AM
  4. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-18-2013, 12:40 PM
  5. Taiwan Bicycle Exports Soar in North America
    By Too Tall in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-03-2008, 08:07 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •