Where do I begin here? Roof top tents have tainted my car camping experience. When I moved to California I was used to bicycle camping and touring. All my stuff was ultralight and compact. I remember the first time i went camping with Cari, I was blown away by her double burner stove and pots.-Long story short, we got our first roof top tent just under four years ago and it ruined me. I love sleeping off the ground. You donít have to find a smooth surface, get a unique vantage point, the mattress is way comfier than any sleeping pad and it ventilates better being above ground.-That said, they can be super annoying in the wind, are annoying to have to open and close when you wanna move the truck, and are top heavy, making wheeliní a bit more nervewracking. Plus unloading/loading is fairly difficult.-I tried a number of options from a Tepui Baja Kukenam, to the CampTeq 80-series direct mount, and finally the @gfc_usa RTT. All have their strengths and weaknesses but so far, the strengths outweigh the weaknesses on the GFC.-Itís lighter than other options because you donít need a roof rack. In fact, with cross bars that you can add, it IS a roof rack. Itís only 6Ē thick so itís the thinnest on the market, and with an 80-series direct mount kit in development itíll sit even lower, keeping the weight as low as possible.-It opens in 5 seconds and closes in under a minute. There are no poles to use anywhere and the two corner windows roll up completely, leaving a nice open corner. The roof is also translucent.-The design of the tent allows for t-nuts to install lights, brackets, awnings, and other add ons.-Negatives: you canít store the ladder in the tent, or anything but the mattress. No sleeping bags or pillows. Thatís it. There are no pockets for ear plugs or other items, so youíre usually bringing a bag up with all your stuff each night. It is however roomie enough to store stuff at your feet thanks to the wedge shape and it roomier than a Westfalia pop-top and fits two adults and a dog just fine. The wait time can take a while and they are more expensive than a soft top tent. Thatís all the negatives I can think of, which are outweighed by the pluses.

(Feed generated with FetchRSS)

More...