Just another reminder that we wouldn’t have many desert roads if it weren’t for mining operations. Oddly enough it doesn’t feel out of place, but I’m torn on the discussion.-A shut down cinder mine means more hand cleaner is using plastic grains, instead of pumice, which gets flushed out to our oceans, eaten by our fish, and kills flora. Yet if it’s in operation, our desert lands are being chewed up and processed. Cinder cones are some of my favorite geological formations and I hate seeing them being torn apart, marring an eerie yet serene landscape.-This is just one example of extraction that “public lands” can go through when removed form under federal protection. Much of the Mojave Preserve is protected and a small portion is a federal Wilderness area. An even smaller portion is private, set aside for research.-Surely there is a middle ground for mineral use, public lands, and respect for Indigenous People’s sacred lands, and that’s why as consumers we have to be educated and conscious about what and how often buy stuff we “need.” ??

(RSS generated with FetchRss)

More...