User Tag List

Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Front Dropout Brazing Fixture

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,734
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Front Dropout Brazing Fixture

    I've never used a purpose built DO fixture for forks (or rear stays), instead just a little squeeze on the slot to get a snug fit and I've never had a disaster (close though) but I'd feel more secure if I did so I'm going to build one. It's not a conceptually difficult thing to do but if you have one please post or link photos! I'm sure to pick up a worthwhile tip.

    I used the fork and frame fixtures a few times in the past but both are a bit cumbersome and I can envision something simpler and applicable to both ends.

    Thanks.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    1,734
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Front Dropout Brazing Fixture

    Quote Originally Posted by jclay View Post
    I've never used a purpose built DO fixture for forks (or rear stays), instead just a little squeeze on the slot to get a snug fit and I've never had a disaster (close though) but I'd feel more secure if I did so I'm going to build one. It's not a conceptually difficult thing to do but if you have one please post or link photos! I'm sure to pick up a worthwhile tip.

    I used the fork and frame fixtures a few times in the past but both are a bit cumbersome and I can envision something simpler and applicable to both ends.

    Thanks.
    Never mind.
    I rethought it.
    It's sorted out; I'm back to using the fork & frame fixtures to fill the side I can get to, remove, fill the other side.
    John Clay
    Tallahassee, FL
    My Framebuilding: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21624415@N04/sets

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Posts
    21,220
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Front Dropout Brazing Fixture

    I’ve never had dedicated dropout fixtures.

    For my forks, they’re added last.

    The crown assembly is finished, a pair of curved and cut to length blades are brazed in, and then the dropouts are added.

    I find this the most organic way to get optimum alignment and as little to no stress built in (as far as I can tell.)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Front Dropout Brazing Fixture

    Richard,As a newbie getting ready to do #2 @ home and not in a class I have a question. How would I "align" the babes with one another? Thanks in advance!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Posts
    21,220
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Front Dropout Brazing Fixture

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Norton View Post
    Richard,As a newbie getting ready to do #2 @ home and not in a class I have a question. How would I "align" the babes with one another? Thanks in advance!
    Hopefully a fork fixture gives you a head start. You have one? You’d also do well to have a solid bench vice, a 6” square, and a surrogate 100mm axle.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Front Dropout Brazing Fixture

    No fixture at this point. But since my background is as a woodworker I am thinking about fashioning one out of wood.
    All the other items I have.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Posts
    21,220
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Front Dropout Brazing Fixture

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Norton View Post
    No fixture at this point. But since my background is as a woodworker I am thinking about fashioning one out of wood.
    All the other items I have.
    I am on a short leash, time-wise, but can describe some elementary processes in the next few days.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Posts
    18
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Front Dropout Brazing Fixture

    That would be great!

Similar Threads

  1. Paragon Belt dropout plug stay and brazing filler selection
    By visusest in forum The Frame Forum@VSalon
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-23-2021, 05:09 PM
  2. Does a front dropout/disc brake flange exist
    By LoHiFab in forum The Frame Forum@VSalon
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-19-2016, 12:25 PM
  3. Possible front dropout trade?
    By RCP FAB in forum The Frame Forum@VSalon
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-22-2013, 08:42 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •