User Tag List

Thread: Will there be a CX season this year?

ldamelio is offline emperor of time, space and all dimensions known and unknown
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Will there be a CX season this year?

As above - not asking about Europe/UCI CX, but good ole USAC local/regional US regional racing. I do see some of the UCI events scattered around the country. It looks (don't want to divert into a Covid thread) like it will be safe from a pandemic perspective, but of course, some uncertainty still exists. I know that registrations were declining and margins were thin to non-existent before the pandemic. I can see why promoters would be hesitant to commit given the uncertainty regarding field sizes, the lead time needed to secure venues with gathering sizes still restricted, etc. Any promoters or other insiders out there who can tell us what you're thinking? It's crucial that I know. I have to decide between a summer of quinoa, kale and intervals or beach and bourbon to keep my 60+ back of the pack career on track.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Will there be a CX season this year?

Lou

BrittLee has mapped out a schedule that shows at least ten UCI race weekends we can do in addition to the Natz. I haven’t looked at local and or non UCI races yet.

That said, coming off the COVID-19 year and coupled with the crap in Arkansas and states “like it”, my motivation for caring is at an all time low.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm ambivalent. I've really been enjoying JRA and some other non- bike fall activities and training is not always fun. On the other hand, I really miss the whole scene and the intensity iof racing, as mediocre as I am. I have seen the UCI races, but only a few of them are in reasonable proximity for me. I'm good with three or so travel weekends a season, but like to 'race from home' most weekends in the PACX and NJCX series so I can still get some family time. We'll see. Can't hurt to buckle down and get in better shape. Also, getting some long overdue surgery that may improve my performance somewhat. At worst, I'll JRA a little faster.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our local series is going to move forward with a slate of races in the fall. Come september everyone that wants to be vaccinated will be vaccinated and the events are outside so risks should be small.

My stoke for training and travel is pretty low right now. I'm planning on doing a couple single speed races and that's more or less it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PS agree 110% on Arkansas. Was stoked to go to Worlds. Now eff 'em. I can watch from my living room and spend my travel $$$ in the civilized world.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think there will be local 'cross races. There is a weekly mountain bike race series here in Seattle, and we've been at it for about a month. (My first time racing MTBs since 1996!) They've been asking people to have a mask on until they get to the starting grid. People go off from the grid in groups of 6-8, about 10 seconds apart. The first group is "call ups;" after that, people just come up when they want, with the faster dudes usually coming up first. Since everybody has timing chips, there's no need for a mass start. We just start rolling a little bit before the overhead sensor for the timing chips; racing officially starts once your group has gone under the sensor.

Honestly, these wave starts are way more fun than a mass start. Our group can be as big as 60 or 70 guys. Just like with 'cross, things get sorted out pretty fast, but the first couple minutes in a mass start off-road race, be it mountain or cross, are not a whole a lot of fun. And if you don't get a call up, you're basically screwed. These wave starts both seem more fair, and more safe, doubly so in the safety department when you factor in the Covid risk. I'd be happy if racing was always this way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought I already replied to this thread... here’s an article from CXMAG. Apologies if you’ve seen it.

https://www.cxmagazine.com/2021-2022...events-down-43
    The desired effect is what you get when you improve your interplanetary funkmanship, Francis.