Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Whip for Dirty Kanza

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Whip for Dirty Kanza

I had a blast riding a few monster cross and gravel races over the last two years and have some friends trying to convince me to try Dirty Kanza next summer. I've ridden those on borrowed cross bikes and my now deceased cannondale carbon hardtail 29er with the always malfunctioning lefty.

My choices are:
    1)Scott Addict Gravel 10 Disc on closeout from my LBS where I get close to cost pricing. (He also carries Argon 18, Stevens and Colnago - no good closeouts on the latter)
    2)Ventana El Martillo with fancy carbon rims and have the opportunity to do some mismash campy groupset instead of force 1.

For context, my fastest 400K brevet time was on a used Colnago EPS with Corima 73mm rims laced to Royce Hubs. I felt strong the whole time, especially the last 100. On 200K's, the bike almost feels like cheating. If I ride PBP next summer, it will be on that bike. I've also ridden a bunch of permanents on Cannondale Caad 8 with ksyrium's so don't have the hang up many do about aluminium.

Four years ago I entered ORAMM/the offroad assault on mt mitchell (my first mountain bike race!) on a new to me 29 lb Ventana FS El Rey. I had a blast. was never uncomfortable, but was really slow on sections I should have cooked, i.e. the fire roads and the section of the blue ride parkway. Two weeks ago I built up a Ventana SS with old Edge AM Rims laced to DT 240s with downhill tires (that's what was in the closest) and while I haven't figured out the fit yet, I'm pretty fast and creeping up on some of the youngsters riding multi-geared bikes - written aspiration-ally by the 55 year old.

If I enter, to the extent possible, I plan to race it even though I know I'm supposed to say my goal is just to finish.

advice welcome, ur, needed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Whip for Dirty Kanza

I've not done Kanza, but I have ridden a lot of gravel, and done a few races, and host a race.

My only advice is whatever you get, make sure it's got room for 40's plus some mud. The Ventana checks that box, I don't know about the Scott (it might, it just doesn't say anything about it on the website and I don't know anything about those bikes).

As for the drivetrain, you want hydro brakes.
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't done it, but I live in KC so I am more familiar with the weather and gravel. Bigger tires are better; the gravel wants to give you flats around here especially in the Flint hills. I would recommend having a third bottle cage cause hot, humid and windy will make short work of just two, plus maybe a camelbak vest or something. Seems it is always either super dry and dusty or super rainy so prepare for both and don't be surprised when it is somehow worse than you expected.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Youtube's 'foresty forest' does epic tours of the deserts, and now offers a carrier for various water bladders. They are pretty cool, as they keep one's back from carrying weight and getting overheated. They are overkill unless you are riding one of these routes totally unsupported.

and

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Houston and I are knocking around the idea of riding Dirty Kanza so I've been thinking on this same topic.

If I get in, I'll be on a Cannondale Slate CX-1 with Enve's and 650x42 WTB Resolutes tubeless. For water, I'll aim to do two cages plus a small camelback vest. Food will be in a Road Runner Burrito handlebar bag. Finally, two tubes, a full featured multitool and a handpump get rolled up in a Thomson stem bag and secured under the saddle with a Barfly Hopper. That's been my setup for a few months (minus the bling wheels and the camelback unless it's a long ride) and it's worked well so far.
    Drop bars not bombs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can get the Ventana with a third set of bottle mounts, I'd go for that.