User Tag List

Thread: Racing Zanconato steel in a sea of Carbon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Racing Zanconato steel in a sea of Carbon

---Before 2013, racing was a foreign thing for me. Riding a bike was always a very individual and sometimes selfish experience. I still cling dearly to 'my time' on the bike, but racing has opened up a completely different mode of enjoyment that I am growing to love almost as much.

Thanks Josh for pointing me to the new Racing sub forum. I thought I'd post a little bit about this incredible group of guys I have the privilege to race with, highlighting of course the killer sleds we get to race on with Mike's name on the down tube. I'd like to let StephenCL fill you in on the genesis of this team, but let me say it's been an amazing experience. He's been the brains behind this operation, team director, coach, and racer, all in on. Steve has also been a good friend of my brother in law, Aaron, for years. I met Steve at a race he was doing in 2012 that I was supporting. It was cool to chat with someone so passionate about cycling heritage and to share in that passion. Later on I got a call from Steve about a team forming up that would be racing on Zanconato steel. He didn't have to explain what that was all about, I was already a huge fan of Mike's work. Underscoring how fanatical I was about the prospect of getting into a custom 'Zank, I quickly sold my CF wunderkind bike to finance the purchase..ended up having to ride my 29er with slicks all winter, and raced the first months of 2013 on a 54cm Scattante with Sora I borrowed from a friend...I normally ride a 58!) So we started with 3 other guys in the SLC, Utah area along with several cats out in Steve's neck of the woods (VA). Soon after, I met Matt (ElvisMerckx) who raced with us as well. It was a great 1st year of racing for me, as green and as heavy as I was. But my season was cut short due to a severe bleeding ulcer that by most accounts should have taken my life on a table in the ER when the good docs couldn't patch the hole. 2014 I was on the sidelines with a host of other health issues stemming from that while my friends all raced. I tried to quit the team on 2 different occasions, but Steve wouldn't let me "ok, no problem bud, no racing anymore...but you're still on the team". Early this year the stars lined up though, my health problems finally started to go away, I lost 25 lbs, did some consistent power based training with a coach, and I've been racing like crazy ever since!

We get all kinds of comments from other riders about our bikes...either they 'get' what custom steel is about, or they don't know a thing about it and are so intrigued that guys would race on a steel bike when CF bikes grow on trees out here.

Let me also say that a part of racing I'm really beginning to appreciate is the opportunity to go out there and represent sponsors who are willing to help us out. The fact that there are such cool people behind the dollars out there that chose to sponsor a small team that races on custom crafted steel speaks volumes. Clearly they get the differentiating factors going on here. Also, I have to thank other very kind folks here who have given us some very generous support...NFS, Tex-Market, etc (you know who you are, and we LOVE the product).

Anyway...a few pictures at the races below, featuring bikes by Mike!

Hey, recognize this guy? yup, that's Matt (ElvisMerckx)

Wayne suffering big time leading up to the summit finish

there's my cheesy grin again...at the start of the race...would disappear into an agonized grimace soon after

Power training (group Computrainer sessions @ 5:30AM 3x a week during the offseason) courtesy of Breakaway Endurance Coaching

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Racing Zanconato steel in a sea of Carbon

Eff' yeah. Awesome writeup Wayne! And look at all those serious faces...not you, though. You're having fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne77 View Post
    there's my cheesy grin again...at the start of the race...would disappear into an agonized grimace soon after

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne77 View Post
    Hey, recognize this guy? yup, that's Matt (ElvisMerckx)
    Good to see Matt on the best Zank ever

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is what this is all about. Racing is about pals, goals, destinations and amazing stories. He!! Yeah.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

-- no toddlers here.., just real men..

ronnie with a respectful smile

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bet those computrainer workouts made a big difference. I started using a kickr during the winters, best investment ever.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More Zank racing pics please.

If you are pinning on a number let's see some pics and hear about it.