Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: race bag recommendations

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default race bag recommendations

I debated whether to throw this in OT or here, but thought I might get more relevant info from those of you who are hauling kit to and from races every weekend.

I've been using a 10-year old duffel bag that was issued to me when I was a varsity athlete in university, but it's starting to show its age. It has one giant main compartment, a tiny little zippered internal pouch that's no bigger than my wallet, one external zippered end pocket that's mesh, and one flat external pocket on the other end that's an open top. What are you guys using for race bags? Most of my events are single-day, so I'm carrying race kit, warm-up or podium (haha!) gear, shoes, and misc. stuff like embro, chamois cream, baby wipes, etc. I've also got some basic tools for quick fixes (hex keys, screwdriver, pliers, etc).

I'm probably in the market for something in the 35-45L range.
    - backpack straps (nice, but not necessary).
    - internal divider/separate compartment (high priority).
    - more than just a basic duffel with one giant main compartment.
    My name is Hung | Instagram | Website/portfolio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: race bag recommendations

I use a bag from SRAM that is built with compartments for shoes, wet kit, a large main compartment, a place for a helmet on the outside and a few other pockets. It works great. One of the zippers fell off; SRAM jokes can commence.

My other race bag is a Baileyworks Super Pro XL Messenger bag. It's better in every way except for the shoe compartment. I really like having a place to put toxic shoes and other stuff I don't want mixing in with my clothes. If it had a compartment for shoes I'd toss the SRAM bag.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use the Rapha race bag primarily but I also use LLBean canvas totes and a mesh dive bag for towels, wet kit, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a big Baileyworks messenger bag. It swallows everything up. Every once in awhile I hose down the inside and it's good to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ogio Endurance 9.0

Cycling specific bag with a ton of features. Pez did a write up on this piece when it first came out. They do team / club sponsorships if folks are interested in pursuing those angles.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

easy + fast:
    Baileyworks super pro. Or custom duffel.

maybe sorta cheap:
    Or scrounge craigs, etc., for a used Patagonia duffel. I had a circa '97 or '98 Patagonia wet/dry duffel that I let go for some reason, but it was excellent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If you go to a track World Cup all you see are international sized rollarounds. Riders finishing a meet will roll off to their buses or cars on their bikes, trailing one of these rollarounds. They are pretty much de rigeur in international circles and on many national and pro teams -- coaches do not want to have big floppy duffels or messenger bags that spill open on planes and that kind of thing. Many riders will carry a smaller messenger or a small backpack as a second personal bag for computer, food, etc., but the rule is generally that everything track-related goes into the roll around. One advantage of them is that if you get one with reasonable pockets inside, or if you either install more pockets inside or at least use something like Eagle Creek packing cubes, you know where everything is and the roll around can sit upright when you have very little space or perhaps no dry place to spread out and you can get to everything. It's also more secure if you leave it than the alternatives -- just zip it closed and people tend to leave it alone.
    Lane DeCamp

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ILE Race Day Bag. Don't own that specific model, but own other bags by those guys, and the quality is fantastic. Not cheap though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Baileyworks bag plus a washable canvas tote bag for shoes/clothes after the CX race.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This summer when my basement/shop/bike drop was out of commission, I kept everything in an old rolling carryon suitcase. It was fantastic for rides where my car was the base. Now that cross is up, though, I find it's a pain for getting from the car to the team tent and am going back to my big bailey whale mouth. I'm hoping to stop out at REI and get some compartment cubes (eagle creek or whatever) to keep things tidy in there as that is really my only complaint about the thing. Was also considering riveting backpack straps to the carryon, but I know that would just be really uncomfortable to wear.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have the timbuk2 race duffel. its got separate compartments for shoes and helmet as well as a small zippered/padded compartment for sunglasses/iphone/garmin etc, 2 mesh water bottle pockets on the exterior. there's one interior pocket on the backside of the duffel lid. that's my only gripe...it needs more interior pockets. it works great for CX races every weekend. it also has removable backpack straps. the interior liner fabric is bright blue so it helps when digging through looking for specific items.

Race Cycling Duffel Bag

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think I might buy like 3 more LL Bean totes in different sizes, we use one for everything, but i'm thinking of doing one for each of us, 1 for shoes, etc. I'm too stressed the night before a race to be neat, I overpack everytime.
    --------------------
    another jaunt
    REBAR

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I picked up a Garneau TR-40 bag at an outlet. Has lots of storage room, place for wet clothes and shoes, and two water bottles. Might be overkill but I really like it.And at $30 it was a no brainer.
    Andy

RAI Reporter: "Did you have it in mind to go for the win today?"
    Eddy Merckx: "Why do you ask me that? Why do you think I'm here? To watch the others win?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rapha Team Sky Wetbag plus $5 duffle strap from the ARMY surplus store.

Perfection.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best race bag I ever had was a custom bag built by Wig Bags in Chicago. If you want to spring for something, as with pretty much everything else discussed on this forum, I think the best option is to go to someone who specializes in making it and have them make one to your personal needs and specifications.

My bag had enough room in the main chamber for a second kit, two full changes of clothes and a pair of shoes. The secondary chamber was separated from the first by a waterproof barrier, for muddy post-CX clothes and race shoes, sweaty kits...etc. I also had him build in a small compartment that was thermally insulated and waterproof for food. The outside had reflective straps on the base so that when I was on my bike in a proper position they faced the traffic behind me, and also had two straps on the bottom for hooking small lights onto for late night rides home from races or riding in the rain. It be came my primary commute bag for several years and remained my race bag eternally.

Not sure if he is still making them, haven't seen him on the radar in a while - but my recommendation still stands. For $200 I had a perfect bag built to the size of my body and the extent of my needs.

Backup recommendation: I fucking love my Mission Workshop Arkiv modular bag. It's weather proof, taken about 1,000hr of riding in all conditions including two long Chicago winters and remains perfectly functional, no worse for wear. I can use it traveling with extra components for my laptop, have a small piece that fits onto the front strap rail for my wallet and phone for easy access, and use the bottom straps for a small light for night riding (a light up on your bag is better eye-level than a seatpost mount when it comes to drivers..). Oh, and a lifetime warranty doesn't hurt.
    "Do you want ants? Because that's how you get ants."

Instagram

Travel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Endura makes a Race bag that's fairly big, so you can get even full-face helmets and body-armour if needs to.
    I've seen it and it's very nice, the pull-out little carpet for changing shoes when all around is mudd &mess, it's a nice touch

Endura - Products

_MG_5137_67072.JPG
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best money I have spent on a bag was years ago when I purchased the Jandd Quick Change Bag. Quick Change Bag

Nice features:
    - Mesh parts of all pockets. Sweaty stuff doesn't get gross
    - bike shoe spot on bottom.
    - Helmet holder
    - Tons of capacity without being unwieldy.

Mine is now 8 years old. Money well spent.

Cheers,
    -Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh Damn! They are on closeout for $39.

Quick Change Bag Closeout and Overstocks

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post
    Oh Damn! They are on closeout for $39.

Quick Change Bag Closeout and Overstocks

-Joe
    The "Pro" version is on sale for $49: Quick Change Bag Pro - Closeout

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Ogio Endurance 9.0

Cycling specific bag with a ton of features. Pez did a write up on this piece when it first came out. They do team / club sponsorships if folks are interested in pursuing those angles.

Mark
    I've got one of these in black. Bought it because it has a silver interior. Makes finding things easier. ...till you load it up with black arm and knee warmers, black shorts, etc.

Its pretty cavernous, with some well thought out touches like a wet section that unzips from the bottom, helmet strap on the end, etc

M

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast