User Tag List

Thread: ISO Information/Advice on starting a high school-based cycling team

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default ISO Information/Advice on starting a high school-based cycling team

We have two division foes (our biggest rivals) start up successful cross and MTB teams within the last year and the interest around campus to start a team of our own is strong enough to warrant a look at what is involved. I am part of the Athletics Department here, so the logistics end of things I am very familiar with. What I do have questions about, however, are things like training plans for this age group, and perhaps most importantly, what it takes to keep a program going given the transient nature of high school students. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: ISO Information/Advice on starting a high school-based cycling team

Is NICA in your neck of the woods? That's the first place I'd look for info.

Good luck!!
    Dustin Gaddis
    www.MiddleGaEpic.com
    Why do people feel the need to list all of their bikes in their signature?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I raced high school mountain bike all 4 years.

NICA, even if it doesn't have a league for your area, has great resources for coaches and facilitators.

The things I think you need for a high school mountain bike team to be successful are threefold: 1. Interest; 2. A knowledgeable but also flexible coach; 3. An environment that can be both serious and fun.

A lot of kids like the social aspect of high school cycling, and while they may never win anything, they keep going back the next weekend to try again. On the other hand, there are kids who upgrade to pro open categories their freshman year. So, that's why you need an environment that can cater to both types of experience, and a coach who can cater to both types of riders.

Let me know if you'd like to be put in touch with the coach of my former team. I bet he'd be happy to give you some more bureaucratic/logistical advice, and just bounce ideas off the wall with you as well!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Is NICA in your neck of the woods? That's the first place I'd look for info.
    Sadly, no, but I will pour their docs for some background information. Thanks!

We do have a similar "league" that is just starting up for 2016 and I am considering going that route for the MTB side of things. They have a bit of a high cost of entry, however, so I am debating whether it would make sense to join or just travel to those races that offer a high school Cat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drietz View Post
    I raced high school mountain bike all 4 years.
    Let me know if you'd like to be put in touch with the coach of my former team. I bet he'd be happy to give you some more bureaucratic/logistical advice, and just bounce ideas off the wall with you as well!
    Great insight, and yes, I would love to get in touch if possible!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interested to see what comes out on this thread.

Two quick thoughts.

1. I read through this book and got a lot out of it. Will probably buy it since there is so much good in there. Might be a good place to start.
    2. The Miller School of Albermarle near Charlottesville, Virginia seems to have a good thing going. They use cycling to get something more out of the kids which might be a good thing, too.
    Andy

RAI Reporter: "Did you have it in mind to go for the win today?"
    Eddy Merckx: "Why do you ask me that? Why do you think I'm here? To watch the others win?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CCAP does a lot with youth cycling in CT and partners with a number of towns to get kids going well before high school. They carry that momentum into high school programs. I am close with the founder (teacher) of the BC High cx team. If that's one of the two you are referring to, I'm happy to connect you with him. He's drawn a lot of support from the NECX to fuel the excitement within his team and to equip the kids with appropriate gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Michigan we have a group called MiSCA which is similar to NICA. Still, I've found it challenging to build interest at schools. We have a few Ann Arbor students and people willing to coach, but we just pulled everyone into the Ann Arbor Velo Club instead of working through the AD at the school. It was easier to do it that way, but now we don't have as many pathways in for new high school team members. It seems like if someone is interested they can find us, but it's certainly not like my old high school cross country team was...