User Tag List

Thread: Exercise induced vertigo

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Exercise induced vertigo

More specifically, high intensity exercise induced vertigo. Has anyone had experience with this they'd like to share? Have you found a fix? I don't expect to get a diagnosis, but I'm hoping hear from someone who's found a way to prevent it or deal with it without waiting it out. It's unbelievably disruptive, not to mention unpleasant to experience.

I've been dealing with vertigo in general for about 25 years off and on. It can pop up for no apparent reason, but one thing that will predictably cause it is a long period of high exertion. I raced a super-d yesterday and spent 32minutes with an average HR of 170 (max of 175). FWIW, my max right now is about 177, so that was a pretty big effort for me. Thankfully there aren't any full blow symptoms yet, but the last 12 hours have felt like I'm under water, which means there's something coming. Over the years I've seen my GP, ENTs some neuro ontologists and nothing. The Epley doesn't work for me...nothing I've tried works, but if I load up on antihistamines I can sleep through in 24 hours in most cases. With two kids and a wife who works 60 hrs a week, it's not a great option.

If you've gone through this and found a prevention, I'd love to read your story.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Exercise induced vertigo

I will leave the puns for others regarding your bike company name and this question :)

When I was a kid I would have some episodes and with time they went away.
    My kid ended up having some similar, but frequent, episodes when he was young. At that time I had a great cranial sacral Osteopath who was also a really good homeopath. She did her thing with him and they stopped. I don't know exactly what she did but it certainly worked.

OK - So far this reply is not helpful for you other than there may be something that can help outside of GP, ENTs and neuro guys. Of course the challenge is finding someone that is not a quack and can actually help.

Even though it has been many decades, I can still remember the "under water" and detached feeling that happened with these episodes.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have low blood pressure? does this happen on days where barometric pressure is low? Have you tried compression stockings? Hi-salt diet right after the effort?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 to the above.

I get vertigo like symptoms from vasovagal syncope, often brought on by high intensity exercise, low pressure and cold. XC ski racing in mountainous terrain FTW.

Extra salt seems to help.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JoB View Post
    Do you have low blood pressure? does this happen on days where barometric pressure is low? Have you tried compression stockings? Hi-salt diet right after the effort?
    I did when I was younger. Now it's normal. I recently thought about salt as a possibility and actually bought Pedialyte to take with me for after the race but of course I completely forgot and it's still in the fridge. I'm putting it down as a reminder for the next race. With some luck, it'll help. Thanks for pointing that out.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain