User Tag List

Thread: 2020 US Bike Race Season: will it happen?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2020 US Bike Race Season: will it happen?

What do you think? Will there be any road or cyclocross racing in 2020? Are you racer types still training or have you resigned to zwift racing for the year?

Bonus question: what’s next for USA cycling after layoffs and restructuring?

Would love to hear your perspectives and predictions.

-Pom

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2020 US Bike Race Season: will it happen?

FWIW, I anticipate little road racing. It's tenuous at best for promoters normally. The up front costs, logistics of rescheduling, attracting riders who may have written off the season, etc. will be too much. Too early to tell for cross, but I'm hopeful that the season will proceed. That's been a dwindling scene also. At least here in the Mid-Atlantic, the biggest fields have been the 45+ and 55+. I attribute that to the growth of gravel and fondos, which don't require the commitment of racing but offer much of the fun. Like pretty much everything after Covid, there will be a somewhat altered new normal for bike racing.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ldamelio View Post
    .... Like pretty much everything after Covid, there will be a somewhat altered new normal for bike racing.
    Understatement to say the least.
    Take care of yourself in this time of crisis and realize sadness, anger and grief are part of the process Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

road racing is done for 2020. all the tentpole events in my region are either cancelled for 2020 or postponed to fall (and will be cancelled).

even if we were able to magic the pandemic away over the next couple weeks promoters are already going to be too far behind the 8-ball to get bigtime races together and businesses have taken a big enough hit that any cash sponsorship that hasn't been paid out will be pulled.

best case: we get this under enough control to have grass roots events in late summer and a really busy fall as cross, mtb, gravel, etc promoters try to cram as much stuff in as they can.

worst case: we're all either poor, sick, or dead enough that bike racing is the least of our concerns.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm becoming concerned. as it is, our season is now looking to end in October. logistically, for us, it's becoming more, and more of a problem.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zachateseverything View Post
    ................. bike racing is the least of our concerns.
    This^^^ and it applies now for me, so far down on my concern list it doesn't even register.
    Take care of yourself in this time of crisis and realize sadness, anger and grief are part of the process Brian Clare

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Utah has been cancelled. That’s an August race...the latest I’ve seen so far.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do agree it will be interesting to see what happens. Only time will tell.
    For me personally, the big goals are all cyclocross pan am and nationals 35+, I’m really hoping these happen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dashDustin View Post
    Utah has been cancelled. That’s an August race...the latest I’ve seen so far.
    Not predicting that racing is happening in August or not (I hope it is), but I think when racing does resume, you are going to see some second tier races that were scheduled late summer or fall cancel as more important races are going to get scheduled on top of them. This was hinted to in thee press release of the Utah cancel. Organizer said they had scheduled 5 World Tour teams if I remember correctly, but there participation was now in doubt.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would like to think there will be a CX season by October, but just don't know. I really wonder if the NFL or College Football will happen. Not knowing any certainty in life is one of the hardest thing to swallow for me. Way too much time to think hunkered in the bunker. Doing a hell of a lot of yard work and looking forward to it is a major change in my life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unless you are a pro or a company who's business is organizing these events I'm not sure why you would have to give a fuck. This is so low in the priority list of things that have to work in our society right now. The uncertainty around a timeframe to going back to normal is so high that it isn't worth the effort thinking about racing 2020.

Even if I was a pro racer right now I would be using that time to prepare the end of my cycling career more than staying fit and ready to race. But maybe that's because I live in a country applying one of the strictest lockdown with no possibiity to ride at all.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tulsa Tough has been cancelled.
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

got notification yesterday that a permitted race will be taking place at the end of the month in Georgia. Stage race...or omnium...can't remember. Regardless, I was surprised to see it. Courses are short, fields are limited to 50, and payout wasn't mentioned. My opinion may be skewed by where I reside, but it seems as though things are jumping the gun a little bit.
    -Dustin

Better to be ruined than to be silent atmo.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't image going to, or being near, a race for a very long time from today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harmless from a risk perspective - much more likely to get hurt in a crash than to catch, spread or become seriously ill from Covid in this setting given the demographics of the participants and associated folks. HOWEVER, it's completely tone deaf on many levels. Fear, differential risk tolerance, pressing societal issues, etc. make this premature. Bike racing can wait.
    Lou D'Amelio
    Bucks County PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Harmless from a risk perspective - much more likely to get hurt in a crash than to catch, spread or become seriously ill from Covid in this setting given the demographics of the participants and associated folks. HOWEVER, it's completely tone deaf on many levels. Fear, differential risk tolerance, pressing societal issues, etc. make this premature. Bike racing can wait.
    I'm not sure about that. The road race crew skews pretty old these days. Also, close quarters with people you ordinarily wouldn't interact with is kind of the worst case for spreading this stuff around. I'm 36 and going to continue to pass on races and group rides regardless of legality.

That said, Indiana and Kentucky are doing a joint crit championships in late July. It seems insane to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Lou, just want to voice support for this observation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I officiated at a USAC sanctioned DH race 2 weekends ago in Tennessee. It was certainly a struggle to get the media(who flew in from all over the USA) not to publish pictures of all the large crowds of people gathered without masks and appropriate distancing, but we managed to pull it off. We had riders from all over the country and some Canadians that snuck in on student visas. Super nerve wracking.

I'll be officiating at a few more DH races this summer in the Southeast. Cancelled our new Northeastern Gravity series before it even got a chance to get going. I had planned to promote 4 SE/Mid Atlantic CX races and a couple of enduros this season. I've pulled plans for all of them, even the race I had scheduled for New Years weekend.

All the trail/venue construction jobs lined up to improve/enhance venues in VA, PA, SC and WV specifically are still a go- so at least I'll still be able to serve the racing community in other ways this season.