Thread: 2015 TdF - Results/Spoilers Allowed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2015 TdF - Results/Spoilers Allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Moke View Post
    Interesting to see what they do with the course next year. No individual TT stages (cept prologe) played into the pure climbers hands quite a bit. I think Quintana wins easy next year with a similar course lots of hilltop finishes, no TTs to speak of, Alp d on second to last day. It was a real battle tour this year and very fun to watch. Just wondering what those sneaky course designers come up with. The poor sprinters could have almost stayed home this year.
    It is well past time to dispense with the "pure climber" nonsense.

In a time when the domsetiques of Team Sky are able to ride at the front all day and out ride the "pure climbers" - the age of the climber is long since dead.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TMB View Post
    It is well past time to dispense with the "pure climber" nonsense.

In a time when the domsetiques of Team Sky are able to ride at the front all day and out ride the "pure climbers" - the age of the climber is long since dead.
    It's all about getting proper sleep, special pillows, and Italian bottom brackets because they're stiffer.
    Weight Doper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all about having the biggest chequebook. Sounds like not all the teams can afford that anymore
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So in the end, the 'fab four' finished in 1st, 2nd, 4th and 5th.

The tricky first week didn't derail Sky and Froome and the first mountain stage - flat with a drag race finish - enabled them and Froome to cement the race lead. For all Froome bores me to tears, he did ride very well throughout the first week and deserves credit for putting time into each one of his competitors over the course of the week.

Quintana did his level best to shave that race lead and maybe the re-routing of the penultimate stage did him little favours. Maybe Movistar could have ridden differently from time to time (not chasing Contador for example and leaving Sky with the honours) and potentially isolated Froome, but not to be.

Contador was flat most of the race and good on Nibali from dragging himself off the floor.

What will Sky do for an encore - no Porte, but signed (or supposedly signed) every other rider on the circuit? Can Sagan win 4 green jerseys in a row? Back to the drawing board for the French and BMC.

2016 - keep the tricky first week, don't make the first mountain stage a one climb drag race, include a TT for balance and keep the final week tough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    The tricky first week didn't derail Sky and Froome and the first mountain stage - flat with a drag race finish - enabled them and Froome to cement the race lead. For all Froome bores me to tears, he did ride very well throughout the first week and deserves credit for putting time into each one of his competitors over the course of the week.
    This is what stands out to me for this year's tour. I wasn't rooting for Froome, but I gotta give him some credit for coming out of that first week in a position of strength. Not what I expected.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Valverde's ongoing rivalry or jealousy issues with Contador didn't seem to help Quintana or Movistar or, from time to time, Contador.
    Dan Fuller, local bicycle enthusiast

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For all my posturing about Froome he rode a great race and did all the right things at the right time. My only gripe was whinging about Nibali, but them Nibali when off half cocked at him in the first week for a crash he didn't cause.

Valverde obviously has enough to be a contender and I think that's where his confusion sits. Who know's this may have been his year to have a solid crack at the top two step but he was in service of Quintana.

Not sure about parcours. Unless you mix ultimate high altitude super steep climbing with long TT's you'll find that someone like Froome who is a super strong TT rider can hack the tempo needed to climb most hills. Where as if you had lots of the pure climbing stages it may just be enough to crack a TT to keep the jersey swapping around. Maybe mix mountain stages with flat stages. Stick a long flat TT stage in the middle of two ridiculous steep but shorter mountain stages. Mess with it too much though and it may wreck the race. May just reinvent it too.

"Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

"Make something with your hands. Not with your money." - Dario

Sean Doyle

www.devlincc.com

https://www.instagram.com/devlincustomcycles/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139142779@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well TMB, I don't know about your "pure climber" theory as being all gone. I don't see the little Columbian as being a major threat in anything that doesn't have a huge amount of climbing. Has he ever been in a long flat to rolling hill break and won the field sprint, a threat to anyone in a long rolling TT, or a Spring Classic danger man? He may learn it some day, but can't now. I love the little guy but me thinks with a couple less mountain top finishes, a couple 30-50 k TTs and a few more big wind falhute stages the little man ain't a top 5 finisher. I also saw a bunch of the greyhound Frenchmen do some damage in the mountains and grupettoed it home the rest of the stages. The Shleck bros vs the guys like Contador that ponied up from "pure climber" to all around GC guy are a good example of what the climbers have to learn.
    Yea, I am not liking the super teams having 4 or 5 guys drag the yellow around the course all day, but I still think there are still a few 45kg "pure climbers" in the woodwork. And daym are they fun to watch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

What was up with the protester with the angel wings on the final lap? Holy cow that was danger narrowly averted.

Soy bomb?
    Tee Aitch

Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    This is what stands out to me for this year's tour. I wasn't rooting for Froome, but I gotta give him some credit for coming out of that first week in a position of strength. Not what I expected.
    And although he was far from elegant while doing so he didn't felt as bad in the downhills as in previous years. He even overtook an overly cautious Nibali in a wet descent. I wonder if he did specific work on his bike handling skills similar to the women Rabo Liv team did during training camps this winter.

I think this 2015 race course was nice. Quite a lot of stages ended up with a break going to the finish and the usual flat sprint finish of the first week were nicely balanced with the Mur de Huy and Mur de Bretagne hillclimb drag races. The relatively short stages were also fun to watch with a lot of action from non stage winners like Peter Sagan, Thomas de Gendt, Cyril Gauthier, Pierre-Luc Perichon, Pierre Roland and Kenneth VanBilsen.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by defspace View Post
    Coquard! Does anyone have a link to a helicopter vid of that finish? It looked like he was moving a fair bit faster than Griepel by the finish. I'd love to see how he got up there.
    He's a really fast track racer. Too bad he always start his sprint from far far away. He could have a great palmares already if he was better placed at the 500m line.
    --
    T h o m a s