Thread: 2015 TdF - Results/Spoilers Allowed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2015 TdF - Results/Spoilers Allowed

Quote Originally Posted by j44ke View Post
    Interesting as Sagan matures what cycling pros he gets compared to. Early in his career when he was all sprints, he was a MacEwen, then a Cavendish and then he started to become a Cancellara or Zabel and now he is a Hushovd or Boonen.....
    Someone on the NBC Sports broadcast this morning compared him to Lebron James. Seems legit.
    This is my substitute for pistol and ball. With a philosophical flourish Cato throws himself upon his sword; I quietly take to the bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Sagan will find that something in the next couple of years as he matures. He seems to be slowly putting it together and I'm sure it's only his age that really is the missing ingredient. Having said that I didn't even know which way my arse was pointed for a long time into my 30's (hmph... some would say I still don't) so he's a long way a head of most people at his age.

"Even my farts smell like steel!" - Diel

"Make something with your hands. Not with your money." - Dario

Sean Doyle

www.devlincc.com

https://www.instagram.com/devlincustomcycles/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/139142779@N05/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blimey is a tight time gap between BMC and Team Sky!
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Knock on an entire cord of wood or an entire forest or everything made of wood everywhere in the world -

but BMC is running a very good race for TJ.
    Jorn Ake
    poet

Flickr
    Books

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That looked like an awful drag to the finish. Great riding by Movistar and BMC but Sky has it by the throat right now. Froome has great form but will that last? He was driving Sky while TJ and Quintana were getting more of a ride.
    Nathan H

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya I wonder if he can come in in such great condition and stand up to quintana in week 3...
    i cant wait to see whose really got it in the pyrenees AND the alps. right now there are way too many "contenders."
    all things considered I think berto has done pretty well for having just won the giro, but I also don't think there have been many real tests so far where you might actually win the race, just a series of stages when you can lose it.

Northern VA & Lima, Peru - it's complicated
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Impressive ride by Movistar.

Very curious to see how Quintana will hold up in the mountains.
    Cervelo R3 (road bike), Jamis Renegade (supercommuter).

I love pasta.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by skouri1 View Post
    all things considered I think berto has done pretty well for having just won the giro, but I also don't think there have been many real tests so far where you might actually win the race, just a series of stages when you can lose it.
    That's the key. This is a 3 week event. The Tour is almost never won in the first week but it can be lost in the first week. Froome and Contador are positioned very nicely. If I'm Froome I'm actually kind of hoping another rider takes the jersey and If I'm Contador I'm hopeful it's not Sagan.

Best case for both of those guys is that Van Garderen takes it for a week or so.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Tamu8104 View Post
    That looked like an awful drag to the finish. Great riding by Movistar and BMC but Sky has it by the throat right now. Froome has great form but will that last? He was driving Sky while TJ and Quintana were getting more of a ride.
    Yes, but did you see how at ease Quintana was at the finish? Looked like a young Zen monk that just got done with afternoons chores.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rabo View Post
    Yes, but did you see how at ease Quintana was at the finish? Looked like a young Zen monk that just got done with afternoons chores.
    Also, Froome desperately pulling to the line then easing up because his team dropped their fifth man is a sign of weakness rather than strength.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Froome is a curious dude. Off the bike he seems chill and quite collected.
    On the bike in big moments he's like a hyper 4 year old bouncing off the furniture.
    It seems like he burns a lot more energy than necessary, so far he gets away with it.

This eagerness has it's comical moments. Who else watched the end of the Roubaix
    stage, and noticed Froome at the front, shouting to get the stage favourites to work
    with him? It was hilarious. There was a small group of top quality guys with a
    couple of seconds gap after the cobbles, about 20km to go. Froome is on the front
    pulling, when he flicks his elbow to have someone pull though. The group sits up,
    because obviously it's way too far from the finish, they're all there thinking stage win,
    not about Froome's GC, and have no interest in burning themselves only to get caught.
    Froome starts shouting and waving his arms. He looked like old man Simpson shouting
    at the clouds. What was he thinking? They're going to blow their chance of a stage win
    to work for him to get ahead of the other GC riders?

It makes you wonder what Froome is thinking most of the time on the bike. If he
    didn't seem so awkward, you might assume he knew was he was doing. Somewhere
    deep down inside the guy must be the spirit of Claudio Chiappucci, but at this point
    he seems more like someone playing the role of bike racer, rather than someone who
    instinctively understands the flow the race. Given his palmares, I don't why I still have
    this impression, but I really do.

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting observations, Grant. The thing that really struck me during that cobble stage was how uncomfortable he looked riding in a pack. There were a few overhead shots where he just looked shaky and nervous while everyone else was steady.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That first week was darn fun. Unfortunate for the crashes but a great mix of racing. Maybe as entertaining as the Giro... :-)

This week will be spectacular for the GC but what do you guys know of the potential climbers for the stages? Any picks for single day wins or spotted jersey?

-Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Strongin View Post
    Interesting observations, Grant. The thing that really struck me during that cobble stage was how uncomfortable he looked riding in a pack. There were a few overhead shots where he just looked shaky and nervous while everyone else was steady.
    Is caffeine on the WADA list?
    -Dustin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He has a mountain bike background, you'd think he wouldn't have too much trouble.
    But he's so skinny right now, that could be a factor.

Froome sort of reminds me Ayrton Senna, who just had to go 100% even when it
    was completely unnecessary, even unwise, pushing the car to the point of breaking,
    when he could have coasted home. Niki Lauda famously said the secret is to win going
    as slowly as possible. Probably what makes sport so interesting is the added dimension
    of all the different personalities.

-g
    EPOst hoc ergo propter hoc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    Froome is a curious dude. Off the bike he seems chill and quite collected.
    On the bike in big moments he's like a hyper 4 year old bouncing off the furniture.
    It seems like he burns a lot more energy than necessary, so far he gets away with it.

This eagerness has it's comical moments. Who else watched the end of the Roubaix
    stage, and noticed Froome at the front, shouting to get the stage favourites to work
    with him? It was hilarious. There was a small group of top quality guys with a
    couple of seconds gap after the cobbles, about 20km to go. Froome is on the front
    pulling, when he flicks his elbow to have someone pull though. The group sits up,
    because obviously it's way too far from the finish, they're all there thinking stage win,
    not about Froome's GC, and have no interest in burning themselves only to get caught.
    Froome starts shouting and waving his arms. He looked like old man Simpson shouting
    at the clouds. What was he thinking? They're going to blow their chance of a stage win
    to work for him to get ahead of the other GC riders?

It makes you wonder what Froome is thinking most of the time on the bike. If he
    didn't seem so awkward, you might assume he knew was he was doing. Somewhere
    deep down inside the guy must be the spirit of Claudio Chiappucci, but at this point
    he seems more like someone playing the role of bike racer, rather than someone who
    instinctively understands the flow the race. Given his palmares, I don't why I still have
    this impression, but I really do.

-g
    Maybe they should test him for cocaine?

Great observations....he is a weird rider.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    He has a mountain bike background, you'd think he wouldn't have too much trouble.
    But he's so skinny right now, that could be a factor.

Froome sort of reminds me Ayrton Senna, who just had to go 100% even when it
    was completely unnecessary, even unwise, pushing the car to the point of breaking,
    when he could have coasted home. Niki Lauda famously said the secret is to win going
    as slowly as possible. Probably what makes sport so interesting is the added dimension
    of all the different personalities.

-g
    Duh!
    Although I've never been a fan of Senna (r.i.p.), the class he had in his sport was miles and miles ahead of the equivalent Froome in cycling.
    Senna was charismatic, Froome isn't. Senna had sublime technique and courage, have never seen them in Froome.
    Andrea "Gattonero" Cattolico, head mechanic @Condor Cycles London

"Caron, non ti crucciare:
    vuolsi così colà dove si puote
    ciò che si vuole, e più non dimandare"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -Dustin View Post
    Is caffeine on the WADA list?
    Not anymore I reckon. I'm pretty sure some riders are heavy users of caffeine (and not necessarily coffee) these days.

Gianni Bugno used to be busted for caffeine use back in the day. If I remember correctly the amount of caffeine found on his urine was equivalent to a huge amount of espresso so likely ingested in pills.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Not anymore I reckon. I'm pretty sure some riders are heavy users of caffeine (and not necessarily coffee) these days.

Gianni Bugno used to be busted for caffeine use back in the day. If I remember correctly the amount of caffeine found on his urine was equivalent to a huge amount of espresso so likely ingested in pills.
    There was a scene in the Clean Spirit documentary about Argos Shimano where a rider came up to the team car specifically for caffeine pills. It stuck in my mind because there was a mixup with those and anti-cramping pills. And that was shot just a couple years ago. So I'd also guess that caffeine is pretty common.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There was a scene in the Clean Spirit documentary about Argos Shimano where a rider came up to the team car specifically for caffeine pills. It stuck in my mind because there was a mixup with those and anti-cramping pills. And that was shot just a couple years ago. So I'd also guess that caffeine is pretty common.
    I remember Gianni Bugno received a minor suspension for too much caffeine after a race.