Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 1st MTB race- hydration question

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 1st MTB race- hydration question

I'm doing a 90 minute MTB race this weekend, on an 8-mile loop.
    My bike has one bottle cage- how does this normally work? Camelback, 2nd bottle in jersey pocket, pick up a new bottle each lap, etc?

I'm not great about hydrating on the MTB anyway- wonder if it'd be best to just make sure I've drank a lot before the gun goes off, and pick up a larger water bottle to throw in the cage.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 1st MTB race- hydration question

For a 90 minute race you will be fine with 1 bottle. There are not many opportunities to drink during a mtb race so I typically drink less than I would in a similar effort/time on the road. Don't reach for a bottle at the wrong time though...I cracked a couple ribs that way during my first mtb race. If you have the opportunity to preride the course, look for places that you can take a drink. Then stick to the plan during the race and don't drink just because you are thirsty. Wait til it's safe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robin3mj View Post
    I'm doing a 90 minute MTB race this weekend, on an 8-mile loop.
    My bike has one bottle cage- how does this normally work? Camelback, 2nd bottle in jersey pocket, pick up a new bottle each lap, etc?

I'm not great about hydrating on the MTB anyway- wonder if it'd be best to just make sure I've drank a lot before the gun goes off, and pick up a larger water bottle to throw in the cage.
    To add to what BSUdude says: stick with what you know works. I don't see a need for a camelbak, you are just dragging extra weight around and it will also impede thermoregulation. Start off well hydrated and a large bottle is enough for most people.

For 90 minutes you can expect to sweat out about one to four pints, depending on temp, humidity, exercise intensity, clothing, and your personal sweat rate. Finally, consider the race format - do you have to finish any lap you started? Because with a 8-mile loop on a 90 min race, you will be racing 16 miles which may take you longer than 90 min (up here, nobody goes faster than 10 mph).

Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Myself I'd have an extra bottle in the drop zone, in a cooler or one these things below pending how hot I'm expecting to be. Better to have an extra bottle and not use than want and not have.

Amazon.com: Decko Heavy Duty Outdoor Beverage/Drink Holder Stakes, 4-Pack: Home Improvement
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Blog post -- I don't think the heavy stuff...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks all.
    Will plan to hydrate properly ahead of time, carry a larger than normal bottle on Lap 1, and leave a second near the start/finish line somewhere.
    Not sure about finishing laps started, but I am going into it operating under the impression that I'll be riding two loops.
    my name is Matt

INSTA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

90 minutes is only 50% more than a cx race. As long as you do not enter the race dehydrated a single bottle should be enough. Take a 700cc one if it is hot.
    --
    T h o m a s