Thread: SR Suntour Fork Review

Post Thanks / Like

Default SR Suntour Fork Review

Hi All,

V-Saonlers. Here's your chance to live the dream of a product reviewer.
    So.....I would like to throw a fork to a lucky someone here at V-Salon to review here at the site.

Mods, if you feel this is not ok let me know.

Send me an email along with the bike you have, fitment requirements and your riding area (the muddier, gnarlier, rockier the better).
    I would like the reviewer to use the fork for a good duration of time to shake it out (2-3 months), post some glossy images here and give the product a honest and unbiased review.
    The fork will be yours to keep, give to a bro or a groom but please do not sell it for a profit unless your willing to give back in full to this community.

Since we make a few forks I have something here to fit just about any type of bike be it 100mm - 203mm.

Shoot me an email (no PM"s) nmoore@srsuntourna.com

I'll sort through the emails and pick out a reviewer by Valentines Day Feb. 14th.

Best Nick
    coffee club rider apparently

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: SR Suntour Fork Review

I owe you a review on the sample Epicon you sent me for my DS bike.

I asked for a fork that had a tapered steer, air spring with incremental internal adjustability between 140mm and 110mm , 15mm axle , no silly remote adjustments or travel adjusters and wide enough damping range to handle the extremely high spring rates you want for jumping/freestyling/charging hard down a slalom track.

I left my bike on the side of a mountain for 3 months so that a crew of gnarly BMX'ers had something to monster-truck fresh built stunts on before they tried it on their 20" bikes...
    Nothing broke, popped or creaked, and the thing got FLOGGED. I checked in on it every Tuesday when I used it to race DS under the lights with my best buddies and was relieved to show up to a unit that worked the same as the week before. These guys messed around with your typical freestyle moves, including a bunch of 180's and 270's that put a lot of force on the crown/steer/stanchion assemblies.

Once we left the mountain, by popular request, I left the bike at Sunset Ranch for the bmx guys to continue beating on.

nothing broke, popped, creaked.

I got to spend about a dozen hours on the fork at The Ranch, and I was stoked!
    I was able to run the fork with some sag(I never bothered to pull it from 140mm) but still have a consistent marshmallow to push on up front that was consistent enough to give me push, pump and pull to put the bike where I needed to in the transitions and pump hard through the berms and slash and maim the pump track...

I also raced 16 DS races on the fork this summer, rode a few days of buff bike-park style DH on it at Mt. Snow and Highland.

impressions:

This fork got ridden HARD by a crew of 5 crazy bmxers and a pro slalom racer.
    30 foot jumps, extremely hard g-outs and compressions, etc.

I started off with the fork rock hard(145psi, IIRC). Even at such a high spring rate, there was enough rebound adjustment to keep the fork from topping out.
    If you ride a similarly stiff spring on other forks that I've ridden, you have something that tops-out hard even if you're compressing the fork for a quick manual or nose bonk.

After a few days riding the fork rock hard I dropped the spring rate way down(enough that I had 25mm of sag set at 140mm, so still pretty stiff).
    Much to my stoke, this fork has actual mid-stroke compression damping and a rebound circuit that returns to ride-height predictably.

The compression adjustment is functional, but at least on the model I had, there weren't noticeable detents between wide open and fully closed. I would have liked that feature, but I found myself running the compression adjuster all the way open and (with my high spring rate) the rebound 9ish clicks out from full closed to achieve a stable ride height when charging hard downhill.
    Riding a hardtail makes you pretty aware of how well a fork works, and I managed to find settings that enhanced overall grip and front-rear balance that allowed me to push hard on the bars in counter-steering and body-mojo situations. Grip=feedback+traction and I got the right impulses in my lizard brain to stay upright run after run racing DS with very few get-offs and bobbles.

The nifty through-axle system works really well and is intuitive(the bmx monkeys had no problems figuring it out), but I did find that I had to tinker with the adjustment on the axle fairly often to keep the lever throw consistent, and I did notice some wear on the unit over the course of the season.

This fork DID NOT FAIL and performed CONSISTENTLY for a year of hard thrashing. That never happens, or at least hasn't happened to me before.

The performance and reliability of the fork made a big impression on the guys at the local shop, and they've decided to delete their stock of Sram, Fox and Xfusion forks and move over to Suntour stuff, for inventory and their personal bikes, especially on 29" wheels, as they prefer the lower offset numbers. X-fusion had been their forks of choice, but XF recently moved to a G2-style offset on the 29" models, which the LBS guys(who effing moto on the DH's) don't like.
    mickey.denoncourt
    Product Manager- Commonwealth Cycles

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmmm I should send you an email.

Post Thanks / Like

Now that's product testing!
    steve cortez

FNG

Post Thanks / Like

Email sent. Thanks for giving us a shot at this!

Post Thanks / Like

Great stuff. You have the big old thumbs up from VSalon. Go!

Post Thanks / Like

Shit, Mickey has set a pretty high bar for whoever winds up with the fork being offered.

As someone who stopped paying attention to suspension in 2004 and associates SR forks with $400 bikes, this has me sold.

Post Thanks / Like

Sent an email through, why the hell not?

Post Thanks / Like

Email sent

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the emails folks. Winners will be announced tomorrow. If you haven't sent me an email do it quickly.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey everyone that submitted a request.

I have to say that each email I received was evaluated and there were too many good candidates.
    Emails are going out to everyone tomorrow, and those that we're not selected have the choice of purchasing a fork of their choice at industry pricing if interested.

Thanks again and I really appreciate your time.

I'm really looming forward to the reviews.

Nick

Post Thanks / Like

Bummed to have missed this. Would have been a fun project this year with my schedule.
    www.ablocwheelworks.com/
    As hard as you can.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice idea. Don't think my riding style wild fit for the review.