Thread: Specialized 29 Tire: The Captain

Post Thanks / Like

Default Specialized 29 Tire: The Captain

This tire came with the bike. It measures 2.0, foldable and 730 grams. Tread is aggressive by my standard.
    p4pb7115005.jpg
    Current conditions are mix of hardback, lots of small rocks and semi-frozen mud.
    Traction is really good if you keep the PSI < 35 which is a dilemma if you are riding to the trail head and suffer from the need for road speed ;) Kidding.
    They feel light, not like the typical XC 26 mtn. tires I used to train on. For what they are I don't expect them to last very long due to light weight and sidewall construction.
    That said, "The Captain" gets a thumbs up from this guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Specialized 29 Tire: The Captain

Have the same in 26. Ride hard pack and rock a lot. Tires have held up great over the last few moths and I have given the sidewalks hell. Many times I thought I would have slashed a sidewall on the rocks but they keep going. Only worry is about the front end sometimes where it feels like the front wants to wash out but then grabs when it leans over a little more. Probably could have put the knobbies closer to the center line of the tire for the front and eliminated this. Been thinking about swapping to a small block 8 on the front next time I buy tires.

Post Thanks / Like

Try the Ground Control up front allegre. Lots more cornering grip than a small block, but doesn't have the gap between the intermediate and shoulder knobs like the Captain. The Captain does hook up better in soft soil, but the GC rolls better.

The Small Block used to be a great rear tire, but there's better options now IMO. The Maxxis IKON is light, fast, and a true 2.2" (the 2.1" SB8's are only 2" on most rims). The Specialized Renegade is a super fast rear tire, doesn't pack with mud like the SB8 does. The Ikon and Remegade are bothe better tubeless than the SB8.

All that said, a I did use a 2.3" SB8 on the front of my 26" Anthem a few years ago, and it is fast, but you gotta be careful with it in the corners.
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram
    Southern Wheelworks: Website - Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

I think Specialized makes many of the most cost-effective MTB tires. Definitely my go-to sales choice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allerge99 View Post
    Have the same in 26. Ride hard pack and rock a lot. Tires have held up great over the last few moths and I have given the sidewalks hell. Many times I thought I would have slashed a sidewall on the rocks but they keep going. Only worry is about the front end sometimes where it feels like the front wants to wash out but then grabs when it leans over a little more. Probably could have put the knobbies closer to the center line of the tire for the front and eliminated this. Been thinking about swapping to a small block 8 on the front next time I buy tires.
    I have tried 26 versus of Captain, Purgatory and GC in the control casing. Did not like the GC in loose on the front , Purgatory is my favorite on the front with GC on the back. Rolled fast , front end stuck and rear would loosen first when pushed in the loose. The Captain is a good tire but the Purgatory rolls faster according to their Data , as seems to back that up on the bike. If you want a cheap tire that works (here in the loose) look at the Forte Pisgah on the front and Tsali in the rear. They are half the price of the Specialized tires (in the 29) when on sale , which is nearly all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by allerge99 View Post
    Try dropping the PSI by one or two lbs and see if that helps. My Nobby Nic had the same feeling until I dialed in the pressure. Luckily I've been obsessing over CX tubulars for enough years that paying attention to my mtb tire pressure down to the exact PSI wasn't too difficult a leap to make.

Post Thanks / Like

It's amazing how many different mtb tires are available and I thought road had a lot of options. I'm going to dial back the pressure in the front some more to see if that helps. Back tire will need replacing soon so I'll put the front captain on the back and look into some of the recommendations for the front.

In the road world specialized makes so so tires IMO. Who makes the better tires in the mtb world? Who is equal to the vittorias, michelin and contis?

Post Thanks / Like

I really like specialized tires, I think they are one of the best options out there. If it is dry I typically run a fast track in front with either a fast track or a renegade on the rear all set up tubeless. Typically 18 psi in front and 20 psi in the rear unless I start banging the rims on the ground too hard, then I will add a little air. Very fast rolling tires with enough grip for the courses I race on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jhat View Post
    I really like specialized tires, I think they are one of the best options out there. If it is dry I typically run a fast track in front with either a fast track or a renegade on the rear all set up tubeless. Typically 18 psi in front and 20 psi in the rear unless I start banging the rims on the ground too hard, then I will add a little air. Very fast rolling tires with enough grip for the courses I race on.
    ^^this all around. Specialized tires are pretty dang good. The Renegade is a great super fast tire. I wouldn't want one on the front though. The Fast Trak and Ground Control both work well up front.

I also like Maxxis tires. The 2.2" Ikon is light and rolls fast, and it's got lots of volume, it's a lot bigger than the renegade. At 520g for the regular non-sidewall protection version it's silly light too. The renegade handles mud better....well, it sucks in mud, BUT, it doesn't pack up at all. Maxxis also has a new 2.3" Ikon, not only is it bigger, but the tread is further apart and slightly taller, so it's a bit grippier. Once spring gets here and the trails dry out and firm up I'll be putting one of those on the front of my bike, paired with the lighter and faster rolling 2.2" on the back.

I'm using a 2.4" Maxxis Ardent up front right now, and it rocks. Lots of volume is great with the rigid fork, and those big knobs grip like crazy. It rolls surprisingly well for such an aggressive tire. It's heavy though, almost 800g. But for this time of year, with lots of leaves down and softer wetter trails, it's awesome.

I used to be a big fan of Kenda tires, but other brands standard non-tubeless tires work better when set up tubeless, and Kenda's tubeless ready tires are a lot heavier than the standard versions.
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram
    Southern Wheelworks: Website - Facebook