User Tag List

Thread: Review: Salsa Horsethief Carbon 29er

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Review: Salsa Horsethief Carbon 29er

Salsa Horsethief, where have you been all my life? For years I have been riding a 29er hard tail. The main reason was a throwback to the bikes of my youth and being fed up with finicky suspension widgets. But in the last 3 month I have been feeling... beat up and run down on my rides. I decided to change my game and get a 29er full suspension. I stopped in University Bicycles :: Sales | Service | Rentals threw a leg over this bike and fell in love. Then I rode it, now we are in full on infatuation.

130MM in the front and 120mm in the rear.

Carbon front triangle and aluminum rear. Which is how I like it.

1x11 with a 142mm through axle.

Things I like at a bike at this price point, good tires and good parts (thomson bits). Usually I buy a bike, then drop $300 on new post, stem and tires. No need here.

Everyone should ride semi long travel FS bikes.

-Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Review: Salsa Horsethief Carbon 29er

I really like the look of those - canít really explain it but something just looks right about them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Same here. Some version of that bike has been around for a long time and they all have been boucoups cool imo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xjoex View Post

Salsa Horsethief, where have you been all my life? For years I have been riding a 29er hard tail. The main reason was a throwback to the bikes of my youth and being fed up with finicky suspension widgets. But in the last 3 month I have been feeling... beat up and run down on my rides. I decided to change my game and get a 29er full suspension. I stopped in University Bicycles :: Sales | Service | Rentals threw a leg over this bike and fell in love. Then I rode it, now we are in full on infatuation.

130MM in the front and 120mm in the rear.

Carbon front triangle and aluminum rear. Which is how I like it.

1x11 with a 142mm through axle.

Things I like at a bike at this price point, good tires and good parts (thomson bits). Usually I buy a bike, then drop $300 on new post, stem and tires. No need here.

Everyone should ride semi long travel FS bikes.

-Joe
    Moving to Boston soon where I hope to re-enter the world of more frequent Mtn. biking. Among the bewildering array of bikes in that world, this suggestion helps!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow I should update this review. I love this bike still . I have only done maintenance like replace chain and cassette over the past 3 years of owning it and putting in tons of miles in the mountains and desert.

The new ones have a bit more travel and more laid back geo. I might pick it up this fall. Unless you want to buy my old one now Andy, then I'll get the new one sooner.

-Joe