Thread: Nox Composites Farlow 29 Carbon Wheelset

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nox Composites Farlow 29 Carbon Wheelset

I just received a set of wheel that I have been agonizing over for the past 6 months. I was interested in trying some wider rims for my 29er. I've owned some Edge/Enve road products over the last 7 or 8 years and loved everyone of them, but I wasn't willing to shell out Enve dollars for the mountain bike. I just don't ride mountain as much as road and couldn't justify the expense. I started looking at Derby and Nox because I had heard good things about both. I ended up going with Nox mainly because I do quite a bit of business travel to Knoxville Tennessee, and I figured I would keep my money (somewhat) local.
    The next issue was which rim? I thought I had decided on the 26mm Teocalli, but I kept going back to the 29mm Farlow. I like to ride with a 2.4" Maxxis Ardent on the front and a 2.2-2.25 tire on the rear, depending on the season. I'm using an Ardent on the read now, but I will likely change to something less aggressive when the trails firm up in the summer. I felt like the Farlow would be fine for my 2.4 front, but the 26mm Teoocalli would fit the smaller rear. After talking to a Nox representative, I decided on the wider wheel.
    I ended up with 29mm Farlow rims, laced 32 spoke to the new Chris King Boost hubs. My wheel set weighed in at 1710 grams with rim tape and valve stems. I'm sure the boost hubs add a few grams over more standard spacing. Weight wasn't my main concern. I'm 6'4" and weigh in about 210 without gear. I wanted a strong and stiff wheel that inspired confidence. Once the tires were mounted up, I was happy I went with the wide rim. The 2.4" tire looks natural on the front rather than ballooned around a skinny rim. The rear looks great too. I've had the chance to take them out a couple of times and they ride as good as they look. The outside lugs of the 2.25" Ardent stand up and do work without feeling wiggly underneath me. Overall i'm most impressed with the stiffness of the package. Wide carbon rims and boost hub spacing add up to a solid combination. I hear a lot of people talk about front wheel stiffness and deflection with 29ers. I guess I don't rail hard enough to have those issues. I noticed the stiffness of the rear wheel more than the front. The rear end felt firm and planted under me. Much better then King/Stans wheelsets I've owned in the past. I've gotten two real rides on the wheels and I'm still trying to find the right tire pressure. I started out with the pressures I was running on narrower rims. It's looking like the wider rims will take several psi of air pressure reduction. I'll lower them another pound or two before my next ride.
    Overall I like the package and the build quality. The rims run round and true with now popping or tinging spokes on the initial ride. The subdued graphics were a factor in my decision too. I like having nice stuff without telling everyone on the trail I have nice stuff. I like the product well enough so far that I may put a set of the Nox A36D road disc wheels on my short wish list.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Nox Composites Farlow 29 Carbon Wheelset

Nox rims are fantastic. Not just for the price, but just in general.
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram
    Southern Wheelworks: Website - Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Ordered some Teocalli's, looking forward to giving them a good workout. Review to follow...

Post Thanks / Like

I've beaten the hell outta my Nox.
    Randy Larrison
    My amazing friends call me Shoogs.

Blog post -- I don't think the heavy stuff...

Post Thanks / Like

Stick around, that was a great review.