Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Groovy Luv Handles

Post Thanks / Like

Default Groovy Luv Handles

What can be said about a handlebar? It holds your controls in place and gives you a place to put your hands, preferably in such a way that your hands, wrists, elbows and shoulders don't get aggravated. I suppose some folks are concerned with how much it weighs, but not me.

I've had a Groovy Luv Handlebar for about four years now and I have absolutely nothing bad to say about it. Countless numbers of bars preceded this one. Some of them were too flexible (a very wide ti bar with a shim), some were the wrong angle for me, some were too narrow, others didn't have enough room on the straight section for me to setup my controls how I like them.

I've written before that the highest praise I can give to something is when I don't think about it at all. Rody's bar ticks all the boxes for me. It's the perfect width, there's plenty of room to push my brake levers way in (one finger braking), it's not too soft and I feel connected to the trail, it looks badass (though looks aren't ever a priority when I choose a handlebar) and best of all, once I found the correct tilt angle they're the most comfortable sweep angle I've ever tried.

It took a few rides to dial in the angle and I found that for me, flat is best. I have issues with nearly every joint in my body. WRT a handlebar, some leftover issues thanks to a broken scaphoid and a shoulder separation and torn labrum that didn't heal quite right made it rough for me when I was using a normalish 7-9* sweep bar. Rody's bars are roughly 20* and they're perfect for me.

Would absolutely recommend.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Groovy Luv Handles

Yeah, 100% agree. I love love love LUV em.

Post Thanks / Like

Man they have tempted me many times. Brilliant design.

Post Thanks / Like

There was a ti set at my local bike shop for about a year. Actually went to go get them last week and they were gone! Some old-timer bought them for his cruiser.

Post Thanks / Like

I have both the steel and Ti on my SS and Mtb. Me Love Lots! Very comfy. They help out my shoulders tremendously. My days with the 3 & 5 degree bars are over.

Post Thanks / Like

Have them on two bikes. They're great.

Post Thanks / Like

I should be getting some with the next batch. Can't wait.

Post Thanks / Like

Next person to post better have some pics. hmmmmm

Post Thanks / Like

CIMG3980.jpg

With custom "Groovy" graphics atop my Coconino.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall View Post
    Next person to post better have some pics. hmmmmm
    I'd snap one for you if I didn't just box up the bike. A guy in your neck of the woods who works for IMBA has a 29er headed his way with some Luv on the front end.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like

Due to various joint issues (hands, wrists, elbows, shoulders) I have looked at these before, so this has been a great thread.

Do these alter an established reach set up compared to using 5-7 degree risors?
    A make believe example: If I were to take a drawing of standard 5 degree bars, viewed from above, and draw a straight line from one end of the bar to the other - then draw a parralel line that intersects the center of the clamp area...there may be a 2" difference between those two lines (the ends of the bar being closer to the rider by 2" compared to the center of the clamp area). This difference is what I am referring to as sweep (hopefully any builders have not sprained their eyes by rolling them too hard after reading that).
    Now if the same drawing were made to the Luv bars, would there also be 2" between those two lines or something like 6" because of the increased sweep?

Hopefully this question makes sense.
    Another way to ask is, if I bought a pair of Luv handles that had the same rise and were the same width, would I need a new longer stem?
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, the center section has a forward bend with a slight rise that compensates for the increased sweep, so you can use the same stem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncey Matthews View Post
    Nope, the center section has a forward bend with a slight rise that compensates for the increased sweep, so you can use the same stem.
    Thanks - Would love (no pun intended) to try some out if I can pick up a set somewhere before ordering one.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like

Forget the bars, keep looking for an excuse to use Rody's cranks on a build. Someday.

Post Thanks / Like

More Luv...
    I've been really impressed with my steel Luv Handles over the course of the last 4+ years. I sent them back in once and Rody put a cool textured powdercoat finish on that was a bit better, grip-wise, when sweaty (AZ will do that to you).
    I tried some other combinations but none of them lasted long. I'm back on the Luv Handles and have a Ti set heading my way soon.
    I have one bike, a rigid 29er SS, and I am constantly seeking the singular solution for every piece of it. These Luv Handles have reached that status joining the ranks of my Phil BB, Paul Cranks and hubs, and XT pedals.
    On top of all of that these bars support a good guy doing good work, both in the shop and in his communities (see http://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum...rks-16788.html ).
    Cheers,
    MK

Post Thanks / Like

I ordered a set of Ti Luv Handles with an extra inch on each end (28 inch total width) and begged Rody to get them to me before last weekend.
    He was able to get them to me in time for a mountain biking weekend in Brevard, NC. I'm starting grad school this weekend, so last weekend was the proverbial 'last hurrah' before I buckle down and let my bikes collect dust.

3 days of riding in the Pisgah National Forest is torture on bodies and components. 3 days of riding a rigid bike in Pisgah is beyond torturous. The Ti Luv Handles have enough flex in them that they took the sting out of the descents. It's not suspension, but tons of body english, 2.4 inch On One Chunky Monkey front tires, and ti handlebars made every mile enjoyable. There were a few times that fatigue started to impact my ability to ride fast, particularly down long FAST descents like Black Mountain, but I managed to keep my buddy on a full suspension Giant Anthem in my sights most of the time.

Big chunky stuff like Daniel Ridge and Butter Gap were perfect on the rigid fork and ti bars. The control and precision of the wide bars and unchanging bike geometry meant I could make last minute decisions about line changes and actually get the bike to respond. If you've ridden Pisgah much you know that a two inch change to your line can mean rolling out of a two foot deep washout or flipping out of it.

10150577_10203052419365562_749808618773379079_n.jpg

When I got home on Sunday I sent Rody a note thanking him for getting the bars to me for this trip. He didn't have to, but he did. I honestly don't know why I waited so long to order these. They are a perfect piece of kit.

West Chester, Pennsylvania, United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by borderlander View Post
    ...a cool textured powdercoat finish on that was a bit better, grip-wise, when sweaty (AZ will do that to you)...
    wait, what? you dont have grips on the bars?
    Bill Showers

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BShow View Post
    wait, what? you dont have grips on the bars?
    When on tamer trails or the approach to dirt I'll often use the "horns" just inside the grip area for secondary hand position. It's a narrower position in the wind. The initial glossy finish was pretty slick. Rody applied a matte, almost basketball-like, textured finish that made this position a bit more secure.
    My Luvs are usually sporting some ESI Chunky grips.
    Cheers,
    MK

Post Thanks / Like

Nice bike. Bars from OH, wheels from right where you are riding. NC!

Rode Pisgah this past summer w my rigid ss too! I wanna live there.

Quote Originally Posted by Nathanrtaylor View Post
    I ordered a set of Ti Luv Handles with an extra inch on each end (28 inch total width) and begged Rody to get them to me before last weekend.
    He was able to get them to me in time for a mountain biking weekend in Brevard, NC. I'm starting grad school this weekend, so last weekend was the proverbial 'last hurrah' before I buckle down and let my bikes collect dust.

3 days of riding in the Pisgah National Forest is torture on bodies and components. 3 days of riding a rigid bike in Pisgah is beyond torturous. The Ti Luv Handles have enough flex in them that they took the sting out of the descents. It's not suspension, but tons of body english, 2.4 inch On One Chunky Monkey front tires, and ti handlebars made every mile enjoyable. There were a few times that fatigue started to impact my ability to ride fast, particularly down long FAST descents like Black Mountain, but I managed to keep my buddy on a full suspension Giant Anthem in my sights most of the time.

Big chunky stuff like Daniel Ridge and Butter Gap were perfect on the rigid fork and ti bars. The control and precision of the wide bars and unchanging bike geometry meant I could make last minute decisions about line changes and actually get the bike to respond. If you've ridden Pisgah much you know that a two inch change to your line can mean rolling out of a two foot deep washout or flipping out of it.

10150577_10203052419365562_749808618773379079_n.jpg

When I got home on Sunday I sent Rody a note thanking him for getting the bars to me for this trip. He didn't have to, but he did. I honestly don't know why I waited so long to order these. They are a perfect piece of kit.

Post Thanks / Like

Tried some different bars on the Coconino for awhile. The Thompson ti bars were beautiful, but did not agree with my elbow tendonitis. Managed to swap the Thompsons with another forumite and Coconino ownder for a set of Ti Luv-Handles, first ride was today. All the greatness of the cro-moly with less vibration. So good.

This set of Luvs was actually in Steve's shop when I built up my bike, then went to NM with another customer, and now found their way to West TX. Need to get the some shims to put the original steel bars on the full squishy bike. My elbows love these bars.

Great stuff Rody!
    Kyle Olson