Thread: Giro Rivet Gloves

Post Thanks / Like

Default Giro Rivet Gloves

Remember the Princess and the Pea? I'm the princess; always have been. It's not that I want it to be that way, it's just how it is. Those annoyances that should only be a slight distraction often become major distractions at the worst possible time. Sloppy fitting gloves happen to be one of the major annoyances that can disrupt me when I'm attempting to stay in a state of hyper-focus (say ripping a loose downhill at the limits of my ability.)

Nearly ten years ago, a shop friend mis ordered a pair of Scary Fast gloves that didn't fit him. They were exactly what I wanted...long finger, no padding, no weird embossed or molded plastic shit on the back side, a terry thumb, a tight fit and a decent velcro strap. I had been nursing those things along for years. During that period I've bought or been given half a dozen or so pair of Fox, Specialized, Pearl Izumi and Dakine gloves all of which had a flaw and were passed on to other friends.

I met a buddy at his shop to head out to lunch and noticed a pair of Giro Rivet gloves in a sale bucket. They seemed to be everything I want in a glove so I bought them on the spot. No padding, very tight fit, and absorbent thumb and no pointless shit on the back to block air flow (there is a small rubber G on the back but it doesn't pretend to be a motocross glove). They also have rubber grippers on the thumb and first two fingers. The back is made of three different types of elastic mesh as are the sides of the fingers. They don't have a strap on them at all and are a little more work to get on and off than a strapped glove. I definitely heard some stitching pop the first time I pulled them on but it's been two years and except for losing some finger grippers, everything is still together.

The palm of my old Scary Fast gloves ripped to shreds last year and the Giro gloves were put to use full time, serving commuter and MTB duties. They've been through a couple of minor tumbles in the dirt and have nothing to show for it other than being dirty.

Anyhow, I just bought two more pair of Rivet gloves so I can rotate through them and hopefully go another ten years without thinking about it again. If you're looking for a minimalist, long-finger glove give them a shot.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Giro Rivet Gloves

Sounds like we like the same types of gloves. I just recently picked up a new pair of Specialized XC Lites and like them okay, but haven't done a long enough ride yet to give them two thumbs up. They have silver thread in some of the finger tips so you can use a smart phone with them, which is super handy. These do have a dual layer palm, which isn't quite padding, but it's not as thin as a single layer. The silcon won't stay for long I'm sure, and the silver thread in one of the fingers is already coming undone. Time will tell.

For the last few years I was using some SixSixOnes, looks like these are the new version. Full finger, light weight, single layer palm with no padding AND no decorative stitching or anything else on the palm. The ones I had the palm was perforated, and after a few years the perforations grew bigger and bigger and eventually started to merge and I had to retire them. They have been my favorites by far, the only reason I got the Specialized was because I was on a trip and needed gloves right then, and they were what was available.
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram
    Southern Wheelworks: Website - Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you...Rivets or 661 Rajis for me. Rajis always seem to be on sale for like $10.
    Insubordinate. And Churlish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dgaddis View Post
    Sounds like we like the same types of gloves. I just recently picked up a new pair of Specialized XC Lites and like them okay, but haven't done a long enough ride yet to give them two thumbs up. They have silver thread in some of the finger tips so you can use a smart phone with them, which is super handy. These do have a dual layer palm, which isn't quite padding, but it's not as thin as a single layer. The silcon won't stay for long I'm sure, and the silver thread in one of the fingers is already coming undone. Time will tell.
    I like these did you get them at AJ's?
    Insubordinate. And Churlish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by quickag View Post
    I like these did you get them at AJ's?
    No, I got them while in Raleigh a few weeks ago, but I'd bet money that AJBW has some in stock.
    Dustin Gaddis
    Instagram
    Southern Wheelworks: Website - Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

The Rivets are nice. I also like the Xen. I use them road riding pretty regularly.

Post Thanks / Like

update on the gloves.

I have the newest version as well as a pair that are several years old. I still love the fit of both but the new version has a type of rubberized palm while the old version has a synthetic leather. I've been on the east coast for ten days and the temps have ranged from high 80's to high 90's with high humidity. The new version of the gloves do not grip (ESI grips) once they become saturated with sweat. I haven't had this issue in Oregon where the humidity is low and sweat can evaporate but out here near DC, the old gloves are the way to go...no issues with them when they're wet but after landing a few bunny hops one handed, the new gloves went back into the gear bag and there they'll stay until I'm back home.
    Sean Chaney
    www.vertigocycles.com
    a peek behind the curtain