User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter is coming (fat bike content)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Winter is coming (fat bike content)

The frost came in last night and knocked down all our ferns. The maples and beeches dropped all their leaves. The witch hazel is starting to blossom (must be the season of the witch).

It's mountain bike time! But what about the snow that's on the way, when it will be too deep and too fluffy or too wet and slippery for regular tires?

Is it worth adding a real fat bike to the stable? Or are they just a DEEP DARK HOLE in which to throw money for incompatible parts? I'm thinking the SKU's that will have to be added to the home fleet operations department for tires, tubes, wheels, bottom bracket, cranks...

...is the grin factor worth it?
    Trod Harland, Physical Educator

[I]Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Winter is coming (fat bike content)

I rode and raced a fat bike for 24 months straight a few years ago. Winter and summer. They have the same mega traction in dry as in snow... tons of fun.

They are dropping in popularity and thus not as many high end frames/parts/tires/etc are available in the 4” and 5” wide tire stuff. Still only a couple suspension forks as far as I know. Lauf and Bluto are probably still the main two?

I came back to a normal bike and don’t miss the fatbike. 27.5+ is probably a better option - there are lots of bikes out there that will take 27.5x3 tires, along with 29x2.6 or 2.5 for the summer. I’d go that route if I was going to buy a new bike to ride snow with.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I really like my Salsa Bucksaw. Full suspension 26x4 makes up for my miserable mountain bike skills. I wish there were more longer flowy type routes around here to use it on but that is my issue not the bikes...
    Guy Washburn

Photography > www.guywashburn.com

There is a theory which states that if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened.
    --Douglas Adams

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Worth it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post

It's mountain bike time!
    Uh no. Why would you wait for the weather to be crappy to ride an MTB?

+ it is already ski season in the mountains (which a miuntain bike is made for according to its name).
    Last edited by sk_tle; 11-03-2019 at 05:21 PM.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it worth adding a real fat bike to the stable? Or are they just a DEEP DARK HOLE in which to throw money for incompatible parts?

...is the grin factor worth it?
    Yes. And yes (I actually bought a second fat bike...ostensibly so that my wife could ride with me. Emphasis on ostensibly. And beyond any doubt...I never realized that going as slowly as I go when it is minus a lot and a boat load of snow up in Quebec could be soooo much fun.

And the bike is also fun on the trails without snow. Of course, nothing technical like you would do on a proper MTB but still grins. And if you go east to the ocean in the summer, bring it.

Do not hesitate. One of the best smiles per dollar ever. I have even been known to ride it to get the mail from down the street or just to visit neighbors a mile away. Kinda stupid but it’s stupid fun.
    Jon Mandel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I concur with the opinions above. I bought mine a few years ago to extend riding into snow and quickly realized that it's fun, on its own, on regular trails (no snow). Keep in mind that I'm down in NY, where every trail is littered with roots and rocks; I really like that the fatter tires just squish over this stuff. It's also my only bike with 1x drivetrain and SRAM and I have to say I'm impressed enough with the product that I'll put it on my next road bike. I sold my 29r at the end of the summer. I was riding the fatty more and it fit better than my 13 year old mtn bike.

This being Vsalon, resist any urge to go custom. The offerings from Specialized, Surly, and the other companies in this space suffice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Be careful if you are sensitive to q-factor.

SPP
    My name is Peter Miller.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sk_tle View Post
    Uh no. Why would you wait for the weather to be crappy to ride an MTB?
    90 degrees F, 70% humidity, ticks with Lyme disease, mosquitoes with eastern equine encephalitis, and poison ivy, to start with.

And also dirt roads and double track where I can average a screaming 11 mph.

[I]Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced. James Baldwin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Poison Ivy really sucks
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

90 degrees F, 70% humidity, ticks with Lyme disease, mosquitoes with eastern equine encephalitis, and poison ivy, to start with.

And also dirt roads and double track where I can average a screaming 11 mph.
    that and riding MTB is nice when it's cold where riding on the road is not as much fun.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also, think about whether your bone ares getting brittle with age, as are mine.
    My "Past Medical History" is a long list of fractures.

I would do cross for sure if I was still in my 20s.
    I even built a bike with cantilevers back when I was in my 20s, but could find no cross in the 70s in northern California.
    Mark Walberg
    Building bike frames for fun since 1973.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People have strong opinions about Jones, but I'd look into a Jones LWB+. Mine takes 29x3.25 front and back. The front takes 26x4.8" IIRC. Lots of brazeons for bottles and racks, and an eccentric BB if you want to dial it back to 29x2.5".

BTW, check out Iohan Gueorguiev's YouTube channel. He takes his fat bike from the Yukon to Patagonia, and whatever he has works (or he dies). There is also Foresty Forest, who does heavy duty hiking/biking in the West.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Riding bud Joe Cruz has done some amazing stuff, a lot of it solo, on a fat bike. From South Africa to Kyrgyzstan, from Pugsley to Seven.

Fat Bike – Joe Cruz

If you're so inclined, he goes into great detail on gear for these adventures.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They are fun. Definitely in the No Regrets category.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SlowPokePete View Post
    Be careful if you are sensitive to q-factor.

SPP
    There's a few fatbikes that are actually decent for Q Factor, take a look at the Otso Voytek and the Rocky Mountain Suzi Q. I got rid of my fatbike because of the q factor, it hurts my hips and knees but if I had some spare money kicking around I would pick up a Voytek!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My fat bike has two different wheelsets. 26 fat and 29 plus. Two bikes in one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Added a fat bike a couple winters ago when it was too sloppy all the time to trail run but not enough snow to XC ski. Haven't looked back. Picked up a Borealis Crestone with a rigid fork and SRAM build kit. It's a blast. They are also fun spring and fall. Some folks ride them year round. I prefer the Coconino and 2.6 wide tires or the FS with the same for the "normal" mtb season. They are also fun on frozen or muddy gravel roads, 2-tracks. etc. It's a bike that you do a lot of smiling around.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My answer to the question - "yes, but"

First bit of info is that, like TH, I am in New England. I start here because snow conditions range wildly depending where people are in the world.

I picked up a used fat bike 2-3 winters ago during a snowy and very cold winter to get outside. It has 4.6" (I think) tires. The are ground control something or other.
    Yes, it is fun.
    Yes, it is like a tracker when it comes to getting grip on dry terrain.
    Yes, it stays on top of soft surfaces better than skinny tires - the next newest mtb I have from 1999 and only takes 2.1 tires.

But...
    Just like other size tires, it is highly dependent on snow conditions and how well packed the snow is.
    I expected it to be much more magical based on the internet talk. But the reality is it is still tough going if the snow is soft from being wet/heavy.
    No motorized vehicles are allowed on any of my nearby trails. This means that they get packed by: walkers, runners, snowshoes, or other fat bikes. When we get the normal 4"- 8" of heavy NE snow on top of the last 4"- 8" drop, it can be tough going. A lot of sinking-in and power intervals to keep moving.
    If it is the first snow or two of the year this isn't as much of an issue because the firm ground is not too far under the snow.

On the flip side, I have buddies that live near snow machine trails that are heavily ridden and maintained by the snow mobile clubs and he says it is awesome. I can absolutely see that because back in 1980s when I lived in western Maine (lots and lots of snow and silly cold) I spent a lot of time riding packed snow mobile trails on the mt bikes of the day. It was seriously fun - at least until the brakes iced over.

I have not ridden a modern mtb that can take 2.3" - 2.5" tires or even 3.0". I suspect that for the snow conditions I deal with they might be pretty close to what my fat bike can do.
    I may have had unrealistic expectations of what the fat bike could do on snow compared to all the other bikes with ~2.1" tires I had ridden in the snow.

From my experience, yes they are more capable but the reality didn't match the hype for me.

With that said - on dry surfaces once I got past the awkward handling of the tire getting so much bite that it understeers like crazy you can ride up/over things that were not possible with the older bikes. Goofy fun.
    Brian McLaughlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brah

Come pick up my Farley with 3.8" tires and try it out.

Fun bike...haven't ridden it for probably 18 months. Rode it a full summer with a Bluto but thought the Bluto sucked. Heard that the Mastadon is way better.

To me the biggest part of fat bikes is getting the tire pressure correct each ride. Matching OUTSIDE temp and psi is a finicky proposition.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast