User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 41 to 60 of 60

Thread: Winter is coming (fat bike content)

  1. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Stow, MA
    Posts
    2,921
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Winter is coming (fat bike content)

    My local expert in all things tubless and fat, recommends gorilla tape instead of the light tubless tape. I'd put a strip of g'tape over everything and have at it...
    Guy Washburn

    Photography > www.guywashburn.com

    Most people wait for the muse to turn up. That's terribly unreliable. I have to sit down and pursue the muse by attempting to work.
    Nick Cave

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    445
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Winter is coming (fat bike content)

    Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    My fat friends, the wheels have arrived from Special__ed. The rims are 80-mm wide with cutouts. There's a woven nylon strip that goes over the cutouts to keep the tube from bulging through. Velcro closure at the end, adjacent to the valve hole. I can't imagine that is sealable w/ tubeless.

    Do you put the tubeless tape over that, or is it replaced with different tape?

    Google fatty stripper and all will be answered.
     

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    W Mass
    Posts
    10,742
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Winter is coming (fat bike content)

    Quote Originally Posted by marley View Post
    Google fatty stripper and all will be answered.
    Incognito mode first.
    Tee Aitch

    Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Boston area
    Posts
    445
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Winter is coming (fat bike content)

    Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    Incognito mode first.
    It has never failed and always set up the first try
     

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,730
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Winter is coming (fat bike content)

    Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    My fat friends, the wheels have arrived from Special__ed. The rims are 80-mm wide with cutouts. There's a woven nylon strip that goes over the cutouts to keep the tube from bulging through. Velcro closure at the end, adjacent to the valve hole. I can't imagine that is sealable w/ tubeless.

    Do you put the tubeless tape over that, or is it replaced with different tape?
    Sounds like I have the same rims. Those cut outs have kept me from converting to tubeless. Please share your method and results.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    2,211
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Winter is coming (fat bike content)

    In case you have not seen this (and I have not done this) it seems pretty thorough like most of the Park tutorials.

    Tubeless Tire Conversion & Installation: Fat Bikes | Park Tool

    Brian McLaughlin

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    W Mass
    Posts
    10,742
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Winter is coming (fat bike content)

    Although I was worried that Marley's "fatty stripper" recommendation would send me into a google storm, I went there.

    FattyStripper Tubeless Fat Bike Solution and SkinnyStripper Tubeless CX & DH Solution

    Fattry Stripper on a 90-mm Fatboy:


    Also worried about the ability of a 3" wide wrap of gorilla tape to soak up the Stan's. So I'm ordering some of the zaftig dancer latex, and we'll see how it goes. 1 oz. of Stan's? That's a bold prediction.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 11-10-2019 at 09:43 AM.
    Tee Aitch

    Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Utah
    Posts
    280
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Winter is coming (fat bike content)

    Leave the rim strip on there and then seal with tubeless. You want some rim exposure towards the lips, so if the rim strip extends all the way across, you may have to trim a bit.

    I use two different methods.

    1). Zip tape. Ive used other tape, including Gorilla. Zip seals better. Its stretchier. Stickier.

    2) Split tube. I used Fatty strippers as well. Worked fine. But the nice thing about split tube is you can use the tube again. Fattys are done with one use.

    After you go tubeless, remember when riding on snow, go low pressure. I am at times at 1psi in deep snow. Low = traction.
     

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Winter is coming (fat bike content)

    I just purchased my second fatty. A 2020 Specialized Fat Boy Carbon Comp.
    I don't ride trails as the arthritis in my hands and lack of suspension doesn't allow it.
    I purchased it to keep me upright on the snowy roads of northern Michigan.
    Going down , even lightly, is unacceptable at 65.
    Attached Images Attached Images
     

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Stow, MA
    Posts
    2,921
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Winter is coming (fat bike content)

    Quote Originally Posted by Lickety Split View Post
    snip...
    Going down , even lightly, is unacceptable at 65.
    By your late thirties the ground has begun to grow hard. It grows harder and harder until the day that it admits you.
    ― Thomas McGuane, Nobody's Angel
    Guy Washburn

    Photography > www.guywashburn.com

    Most people wait for the muse to turn up. That's terribly unreliable. I have to sit down and pursue the muse by attempting to work.
    Nick Cave

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Northern Michigan
    Posts
    44
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Winter is coming (fat bike content)

    Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    By your late thirties the ground has begun to grow hard. It grows harder and harder until the day that it admits you.
    ― Thomas McGuane, Nobody's Angel
    Very appropriate for this year as I lost two friends.
    One was a major player in the mtn bike racing scene in Michigan.
    Chasing ghosts at Iceman.
    Attached Images Attached Images
     

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    east coast of scotland
    Posts
    606
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Winter is coming (fat bike content)

    How useable is a fatbike when it isn't winter? I'm not being sarcastic I'd really like to know. I had a miniscule pedal on one years ago in the street and I have say i was shocked at how well it rolled as I was it expecting it to be a turd. Anyway, a non crazy money hardtail is in the not too distant future for me an would probably consider a fatbike just for fun.
    Lee James Jones
    105 fan

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Stow, MA
    Posts
    2,921
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Winter is coming (fat bike content)

    I have the Salsa Bucksaw. In non-snow conditions, it gives the impression of infinite traction. This opens up a whole lot of places I'd never consider riding. It trades some speed but my interest in racing is in the distant past. But for pure pleasure and exploration it can't be beat.
    Guy Washburn

    Photography > www.guywashburn.com

    Most people wait for the muse to turn up. That's terribly unreliable. I have to sit down and pursue the muse by attempting to work.
    Nick Cave

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    W Mass
    Posts
    10,742
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Winter is coming (fat bike content)

    Quote Originally Posted by bertiewhang View Post
    How useable is a fatbike when it isn't winter?
    A few years ago I rode a Salsa Beargrease (and a Bucksaw) at a demo in the fall. I liked how quick it was, but was simply amazed at how secure it was on a bed of slippery, waxy, freshly-fallen oak leaves that obscured the trail below.

    Then I got back on my own bike, a 29er with 2.3 tires, to go home and was alarmed on the first few descents at how quickly I got in over my head. The needle had moved and it took just one ride.
    Last edited by thollandpe; 11-23-2019 at 01:11 PM.
    Tee Aitch

    Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

  15. #55
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    2,080
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Winter is coming (fat bike content)

    I'm going to echo what these folks said about non-snow fattie riding. Its great. That traction feeling is no joke. The first time I tried it on a trail. I could get out of the saddle climbing single track and it was like walking up stairs it was so easy.

    I'll add that I use my old, heavy, fully racked fattie for all my around town grocery getting and commuting within about 5-10 miles. Advantages are: A) it can carry a ton. B) it is really hard to accelerate my heavy wheel+tube+tire combo so I'm less likely to make stupid in-traffic moves knowing that I have to plan things out a bit. C) people (guys) love to check it out and give me a wide berth when passing. No joke I feel like I'm treated better on the road than on any other bike. My wife loves watching me get checked out by all the old men.
     

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    east coast of scotland
    Posts
    606
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Winter is coming (fat bike content)

    Quote Originally Posted by guido View Post
    I have the Salsa Bucksaw. In non-snow conditions, it gives the impression of infinite traction. This opens up a whole lot of places I'd never consider riding. It trades some speed but my interest in racing is in the distant past. But for pure pleasure and exploration it can't be beat.
    This sounds great. I have miles and miles of coastline I could explore. Also, how would fat tyres be on mud? It's been lashing of rain here for weeks and it would be good if they coped with mud.
    Lee James Jones
    105 fan

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    east coast of scotland
    Posts
    606
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Winter is coming (fat bike content)

    Quote Originally Posted by thollandpe View Post
    A few years ago I rode a Salsa Beargrease (and a Bucksaw) at a demo in the fall. I liked how quick it was, but was simply amazed at how secure it was on a bed of slippery, waxy, freshly-fallen oak leaves that obscured the trail below.

    Then I got back on my own bike, a 29er with 2.3” tires, to go home and was alarmed on the first few descents at how quickly I got in over my head. The needle had moved and it took just one ride.
    Thanks, have you moved over to fat tyres more often then?
    Lee James Jones
    105 fan

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    east coast of scotland
    Posts
    606
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Winter is coming (fat bike content)

    Quote Originally Posted by rec head View Post
    I'm going to echo what these folks said about non-snow fattie riding. Its great. That traction feeling is no joke. The first time I tried it on a trail. I could get out of the saddle climbing single track and it was like walking up stairs it was so easy.

    I'll add that I use my old, heavy, fully racked fattie for all my around town grocery getting and commuting within about 5-10 miles. Advantages are: A) it can carry a ton. B) it is really hard to accelerate my heavy wheel+tube+tire combo so I'm less likely to make stupid in-traffic moves knowing that I have to plan things out a bit. C) people (guys) love to check it out and give me a wide berth when passing. No joke I feel like I'm treated better on the road than on any other bike. My wife loves watching me get checked out by all the old men.
    All of these answers have been great, I'd say my area is more off road riding than mountain biking but I'm starting to think there's a lot more to do locally with the broader horizons fat tyres may provide. Probs be quite difficult to have a proper bash before buying though.
    Lee James Jones
    105 fan

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Stow, MA
    Posts
    2,921
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Winter is coming (fat bike content)

    Quote Originally Posted by bertiewhang View Post
    This sounds great. I have miles and miles of coastline I could explore. Also, how would fat tyres be on mud? It's been lashing of rain here for weeks and it would be good if they coped with mud.
    The bigger volume will help you float over mud, reducing the tendency to get bogged down. "Reducing" is the key word, at some point the mud will always win...
    Guy Washburn

    Photography > www.guywashburn.com

    Most people wait for the muse to turn up. That's terribly unreliable. I have to sit down and pursue the muse by attempting to work.
    Nick Cave

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    W Mass
    Posts
    10,742
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Winter is coming (fat bike content)

    Quote Originally Posted by bertiewhang View Post
    Thanks, have you moved over to fat tyres more often then?
    I went to a “plus” or “mid-fat” bike with 650b x 3” tires and it was amazing. Also, the very solid and reliable Fox 34 fork. It’s been a revelation.

    But the fat bike is calling because occasionally the snow is too deep or soft or sugary for the 3” tires, but not often. And my main riding partner is a dog, so 5 mph over insanely technical terrain is perfect.
    Tee Aitch

    Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring. -- Desmond Tutu

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Winter is Coming (tire question)
    By TTX1 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-29-2019, 02:18 PM
  2. Ryan Wilson: Winter is Coming to Lanín of Neuquén
    By guido in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-08-2019, 09:12 AM
  3. A buddy's winter all-weather bike - internal hub content
    By Saab2000 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-17-2019, 02:49 PM
  4. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 10-08-2018, 05:52 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •