Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: why are MTB stems so short?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: why are MTB stems so short?

I would agree that 140/130 is a sweet spot for a trail bike.
    I also contend that a trail bike is more bike than most people need for the riding that they do.
    That is why "downcountry" bikes with 120mm are gaining in popularity. It is a more usable bike for most people. Has enough travel, but lighter weight and better climbing.

Quote Originally Posted by cash View Post
    This is the sweet spot for a trail bike. I would counter this is what most riders need, assuming mountain bikers on trails. XC is such a tiny niche that it's basically irrelevant to this discussion.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is really geodependant.

Here in europe, what the masses call mountain biking is pretty much gravel riding and a cross country hardtail is still relevant.
    --
    T h o m a s

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boots2000 View Post
    I also contend that a trail bike is more bike than most people need for the riding that they do.
    That is why "downcountry" bikes with 120mm are gaining in popularity. It is a more usable bike for most people. Has enough travel, but lighter weight and better climbing.
    I don't disagree at all. On further reflection, my comment was informed more by the riding where I live and not so much what is best for the most. When talking mountain bikes, it's very easy to generalize your trails with all trails and forget that the right bike is locally defined.
    Best Regards,

Jason Curtis
    FoCo, CO

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Downcountry bikes are replacing xc race bike sales. They're becoming more popular among the xc set. They are not replacing trail bike sales. They are not what most people need, purchase, or ride. If its all you need, or what you want, or what you ride, that's cool. I try really had not to project my bike needs and wants on the customer. I can't ride their bike for them.

Trail bikes are still the best bikes for most people who want to do a little bit of everything. Its not the end of the world to have 10 or 20mm of unused travel on most rides if its available to you on days when you need it. Some days you land a little funny. Some days you try something a little bigger. Some days you take your bike to another trail in another town. The trail bike is still the "one mountain bike" option, which is what most people need.
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10-20mm may not seem like much- but if you are going uphill the 10-20mm plus the 5-7 pounds does you no good.
    Most people do not ride aggressively enough to make use of a bike with a 140mm fork. Plus they don't need any of the negatives that come with the 140mm bike.

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    Downcountry bikes are replacing xc race bike sales. They're becoming more popular among the xc set. They are not replacing trail bike sales. They are not what most people need, purchase, or ride. If its all you need, or what you want, or what you ride, that's cool. I try really had not to project my bike needs and wants on the customer. I can't ride their bike for them.

Trail bikes are still the best bikes for most people who want to do a little bit of everything. Its not the end of the world to have 10 or 20mm of unused travel on most rides if its available to you on days when you need it. Some days you land a little funny. Some days you try something a little bigger. Some days you take your bike to another trail in another town. The trail bike is still the "one mountain bike" option, which is what most people need.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

10-20mm may not seem like much- but if you are going uphill the 10-20mm plus the 5-7 pounds does you no good.
    Most people do not ride aggressively enough to make use of a bike with a 140mm fork. Plus they don't need any of the negatives that come with the 140mm bike.
    How do you know these "most people?"
    Got some cash
    Bought some wheels
    Took it out
    'Cross the fields
    Lost Control
    Hit a wall
    But we're alright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't even know how much travel my fork has.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most people...don't need...
    This is very true about everything not just bikes - myself included.
    But people live in big homes, drive 4x4s etc because they might use or want them sometimes.
    I don’t see the downside to extra travel and the weight difference is generally less than we carry in our colons most of the time. I ride a hard tail so I can guarantee most of us don’t need any suspension.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you know most people?

I am judging the bike rider for fun and fitness in the general population. The "trail" rider who aggressively rides trails is a small sub-set. The racer or hill-climber is a small sub-set.
    "most people" just go on bike rides and have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by chasea View Post
    How do you know these "most people?"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123