User Tag List

Thread: Who's tried the new WTB tires?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Who's tried the new WTB tires?

Who has tried the new bigger, fatter, more aggressively-knobbed (as the actress said to the bishop) offerings from WTB?

I am thinking about the 2.6 Vigilante up front (not worried about my fork clearance) and maybe, just maybe, a 2.6 Trail Boss out back. The current gen 2.4 Trail Boss is clearing my frame with several millimeters to spare on either side and the wheels aren't all the way back in the dropouts, so what's .2" among friends?

How much more aggressive are the knobs in practice? What are actual widths looking like if you've seen 'em? Most important: Howdja like the ridin'? They 'spensive, but look worth it.

JZ over and out

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Who's tried the new WTB tires?

I have experience on the new 2.5" Vigilante (front) and the new 2.4" Trailboss (rear). Both tires are similar to the old versions but they're much more aggressive. They increased the knob height and spacing it appears a bit for both and the Trailboss is a lot more aggressive than the previous generation. The side knobs are quite a bit bigger:

Vigilante has a bit more open feel to it with much larger knobs and sheds mud quite well. Super aggressive front tire in a 2.5" profile:

Here's both set up on a NOX Farlow (29mm internal width). Both are the "TT" versions which have an abrasion resistant pattern on the sidewalls and some sort of scratch guard layered in the sidewalls I believe:

Compare the Trailboss above with the older knob profile below (Note that the trailboss on the left above is actually viewed upside down - inadvertantly put the driveside facing to the left...):

I'll measure them now that they've been set up, ridden and stretched for about 6 months. In short, the sizes I have are awesome tires.
    Last edited by fortyfour; 03-06-2019 at 10:30 AM.
    Kristofer Henry : 44 BIKES : Made to Shred™
    www.44bikes.com · Flickr · Facebook · Instagram

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What he said.

The tread is opened up, the casings are really, really stiff, and I think the 2.6's measure out to 58mm on an I-30 rim.

The older ones were pretty light casing wise - I do order the fast rolling / tough versions for AZ and they seat with a floor pump.

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, Kris and Steve! I have a similar set up in my shopping cart on an Internet web site.

Interested to see how they measure out. I will gladly be guinea pig number two ( though my feedback will likely just be "woo hoo!" Or something).

Edit: my current light casing ones seat with a floor pump no problem on Nextie internal 32.5mm btw. WTB sidewalls are boueffy.
    Last edited by zambenini; 03-06-2019 at 12:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zambenini View Post
    Thanks, Kris and Steve! I have a similar set up in my shopping cart on an Internet web site.

Interested to see how they measure out. I will gladly be guinea pig number two ( though my feedback will likely just be "woo hoo!" Or something).

Edit: my current light casing ones seat with a floor pump no problem on Nextie internal 32.5mm btw. WTB sidewalls are boueffy.
    Both mounted pretty easily with a floor pump FYI. (WTB's tolerance are spot on.)

The sidewalls are quite a bit stiffer "in hand" but out on the trail the tire is pretty darn supple. I've been really pleased with them and I was concerned the extra "umph" of the sidewalls was going to take some of that suppleness out of the tire's feel. Not so, or at least what I found. And really glad they updated the Trailboss's sidewalls. NH Granite was eating those tires too easily. These new versions should stand up to that rock much better.

Both tires I have are the "TCS Light/Fast Rolling + SG" where "SG" stands for scratch guard.

The Vigilante? Man, can you push that SOB into turns...

Vigilante: 2.49"

*Trail Boss: 2.30"

*Editors Note: I mounted these late in the season and got a handful of rides on them before it snowed. I think a full month or two of riding and that Trailboss will fill out to 2.4"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got all chuffed and ordered 2.6 Vigilante front and 2.6 Trail Boss rear. After sealing my old Bosses on new rims, though, and pumping them way up to 50 psi to seat the bead all the way round, I think 2.6s were an enthusiastic choice, lol! They looked huuuuuuge. We shall see if El Cielo can take a bit more! Maybe down around 20 PSI it will be OK, ha.

Stoked, regardless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got all chuffed and ordered 2.6 Vigilante front and 2.6 Trail Boss rear. After sealing my old Bosses on new rims, though, and pumping them way up to 50 psi to seat the bead all the way round, I think 2.6s were an enthusiastic choice, lol! They looked huuuuuuge. We shall see if El Cielo can take a bit more! Maybe down around 20 PSI it will be OK, ha.

Stoked, regardless.

You can always custom trim the tread - pro mechanics have forever

- Garro.
    Steve Garro, Coconino Cycles.
    Frames & Bicycles built to measure and Custom wheels
    Hecho en Flagstaff, Arizona desde 2003
    www.coconinocycles.com
    www.coconinocycles.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.5 vigilante front, 2.4 trail boss rear. they rule, my love for them knows no bounds. "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?"or "Vigilanteo, Trailbosseo, would that thou shred of my lips as deeply?"

they're that good. wouldn't want 'em bigger, actually atmo.
    Last edited by zambenini; 03-21-2019 at 07:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2.5 vigilante front, 2.4 trail boss rear. they rule, my love for them knows no bounds. "Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?"or "Vigilanteo, Trailbosseo, would that thou shred of my lips as deeply?"

they're that good. wouldn't want 'em bigger, actually atmo.
    OK, these tires still rule.

As someone pointed out, though they are "heavy AF". True. I was adding it up and moving to a lighter version of the Trail Boss out front and going with the light 2.4" Ranger out back would save, like, a pound off my tires. thinking about this. The Vigilante/TB combo let me ride anything with impunity ... my trails are honestly pretty mellow, though and I was probably overkill. Anyone ever "downgrade" your tires? I have health insurance now. Will I need it?
    Last edited by zambenini; 3 Weeks Ago at 12:25 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

OK, these tires still rule.

As someone pointed out, though they are "heavy AF". True. I was adding it up and moving to a lighter version of the Trail Boss out front and going with the light 2.4" Ranger out back would save, like, a pound off my tires. thinking about this. The Vigilante/TB combo let me ride anything with impunity ... my trails are honestly pretty mellow, though and I was probably overkill. Anyone ever "downgrade" your tires? I have health insurance now. Will I need it?
    Which versions did you actually have of the Vigilante and Trail Boss? There's versions labeled "Tough" which are indeed thicker than thick and heavier than all get out. But then there's the "TCS Light" versions which are a little less heavy but still incredibly durable.

But, case in point, my trails live in the Granite State and the older versions of the Trail Boss's sidewalls would show casing within 2-3 rides if I wasn't ultra-careful with line choice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oops, yeah, just double checked and, I have the light version. Hmm, well, maybe I did that figuring based on what my Ardents weighed. Not going back to those!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have the tough Vigilantes, Garro suggested them for my terrain (Mohave Desert) and they've been a no-brainer. They're heavy but most of my descents are on loose rocky stuff and sidewalls matter. I run them at 20#. We seated them with a floor pump in his shop on an I29 rim. The rear probably has another month of riding on it, the knobs are getting short.
    Weight Doper